Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:48:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What Android wallet do you use? (and why?)
Bitcoin Wallet - 20 (21.3%)
BitcoinSpinner - 28 (29.8%)
Bitcoin by MtGox Mobile - 16 (17%)
Blockchain - 23 (24.5%)
Instawallet - 4 (4.3%)
Bitcoiner - 0 (0%)
Electrum - 2 (2.1%)
paytunia - 0 (0%)
easywallet - 1 (1.1%)
something else - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spinner / Schildbach / MtGox for Android  (Read 2282 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 11:50:29 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2012, 05:20:08 PM by giszmo

I liked Bitcoin Wallet when it was first released but in Chile bound to prepaid internet switched to BitcoinSpinner and definitely will not switch back. The MtGox client has very bad ratings so I don't even bother trying it out.

I was kind of surprised to see Spinner is not the most successful according to the market numbers. Why are you using others? Which are you using? Do you use Websites on the go instead of an app? Tell me and I add options.

Edits:

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 11:55:12 PM

Which are you using?

The vote doesn't support multiple selections.  Some people run several apps,

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 12:50:30 AM
Last edit: October 07, 2012, 02:35:57 AM by giszmo

Which are you using?

The vote doesn't support multiple selections.  Some people run several apps,

Uhm … you are right but that was not my intention and neither can I edit this now Sad
I put 99 to the field "allowed votes" as I didn't know how many options others might provide. Can a mod change that poll? How do I do it right so I can always allow people to check all options even when options get added? I would assume, 99 is > than option count resulting in 1.

Setting count to 0 also results in it being 1. grr. and sorry for polluting the local-other sub-forum. I read it as the "other" forum. Meta-sandbox please!  Grin

Edit: Thanx to whoever fixed the multi-select.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:25:59 AM

A good idea for the poll. I've been using spinner, and have got no serious complaints whatsoever. It'd be nice to see it all explained better for the virgins: for example, the fact that there is only one private key/address, which can be changed by re-installing the app or erasing its data folder.
Not sure why MtGox client has got relatively low ratings, it works fine for me, again with only minor shortcomings. I have not tried any other wallets.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:17:57 AM

I have been using blockchain... sounds like I should try out spinner. Tried mtgox but it would not work properly on my Galaxy S3 in Canada.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 04:30:18 AM

Isn't there an Electrum Android wallet app? I haven't used it since I don't have a smart phone. But someday I will - not much demand for it out here in the rice fields. Maybe that should be on the poll list?

Actually looking for Smart phone recommendation here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=116924.0

phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:16:34 AM

spinner has a PIN code, and it's fast.

the others are either slow (harder to use or need some time to fetch the blockchain) or don't have a pin.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 12:21:17 PM

Isn't there an Electrum Android wallet app? I haven't used it since I don't have a smart phone. But someday I will - not much demand for it out here in the rice fields. Maybe that should be on the poll list?

link? I searched google play market for bitcoin and went through the 4 pages of results adding every app that looked like a "use this to send and receive bitcoins with your android" app. (I was surprised to see the blockchain app was actually based on Schildbach's app.)

ɃɃ
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:24:14 PM

link?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75617.0
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:02:03 PM

added

ɃɃ
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 04:17:09 AM

I use Mt. Gox for trading and transferring money to my real address(es).
I use blockchain for my wallet.

I really like how blockchain is set up.  I wish there was a bit more security on that app though.  Mt. Gox has a PIN, and that's alright.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 10:09:24 AM

Paytunia app for Android is the simplest and fastest (PIN code can be set optionnally)
Too bad it's not on the list.

Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 10:48:28 AM

I was kind of surprised to see Spinner is not the most successful according to the market numbers.
The public market numbers just show how many have downloaded the app. The numbers do not show how many still have it on their device, or whether they use it.
Spinner was not around during the big bubble last year, as it was made public some time in November 2011. My guess is that many entered and left during the bubble.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 12:08:39 PM

I use our wallet app easywallet.org - it works as easily as a native app, and recently we introduced one-tap payment -functionality. This is handy in the restaurant I go to, which accepts bitcoins.

Of course this kind of low-security hosted wallet is only suitable for small pocket change. I use it for small payments between friends, and to pay for my lunch in my favourite bitcoin-accepting restaurant, vegemesta Smiley

Edit: One-tap-payments: http://localbitcoins.blogspot.de/2012/09/one-tap-bitcoin-payments-with.html

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 04:15:25 PM

I was kind of surprised to see Spinner is not the most successful according to the market numbers.
The public market numbers just show how many have downloaded the app. The numbers do not show how many still have it on their device, or whether they use it.
Spinner was not around during the big bubble last year, as it was made public some time in November 2011. My guess is that many entered and left during the bubble.

Jan, out of curiosity - can you tell how many unique devices connect to your servers?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:34:21 PM

Paytunia app for Android is the simplest and fastest (PIN code can be set optionnally)
Too bad it's not on the list.

I assume you are affiliated as simpler and faster than Spinner seams doubtful to me and for my wallet, simple and fast is not the main argument. How about secure and open source?

I use our wallet app easywallet.org - it works as easily as a native app, and recently we introduced one-tap payment -functionality. This is handy in the restaurant I go to, which accepts bitcoins.

Of course this kind of low-security hosted wallet is only suitable for small pocket change. I use it for small payments between friends, and to pay for my lunch in my favourite bitcoin-accepting restaurant, vegemesta Smiley

Edit: One-tap-payments: http://localbitcoins.blogspot.de/2012/09/one-tap-bitcoin-payments-with.html

Added, as well as Instawallet. Usability tests still pending.

Easywallet seams to have many more features than instawallet, which I like. Hope I also trust you some day like I trust instawallet (for whatever reason Wink ).
And how about the fees? Also: Would you sell me BTC at 5$?
The Scan QR Code button does not work on my Motorola Defy but it works on my Motorola XT531. Edit: The defy was just slow. 2 minutes slow. Else the QR-Code integration is cool Smiley
The page seams a bit lengthy:

ɃɃ
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:37:23 PM

Being an Android dev myself, I know that. Still downloads is the closest guess you get publicly. Other apps might be more popular for people compiling themselves or maybe some app is booming on the kindle. Or maybe even easywallet could be successful on the iPhone. Who knows. Sorry for guessing Wink

ɃɃ
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:25:12 PM

Jan, out of curiosity - can you tell how many unique devices connect to your servers?
Absolutely Niko, I have updated the How is it going? thread with the current numbers.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:33:54 PM

Easywallet seams to have many more features than instawallet, which I like. Hope I also trust you some day like I trust instawallet (for whatever reason Wink ).
The Scan QR Code button does not work on my Motorola Defy but it works on my Motorola XT531. Edit: The defy was just slow. 2 minutes slow. Else the QR-Code integration is cool Smiley

For the trust part I want just to say that we are a registered company in Finland, and I as the head of that company am public person - for example, I have been organizing the bitcoin hackathon events and I was also a speaker at last bitcoin conference.

The fees are now fixed 0.002 BTC per outgoing bitcoin transaction (bitcoin network fee included), transactions between easywallet.org instances are free and instant (also more privacy, no real bitcoin transaction is generated). Features like dead mans switch and coupons have their own fees.

We will try to make the page shorter & less text-heavy.

giszmo (OP)
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 09:22:02 PM

For the trust part I want just to say that we are a registered company in Finland, and I as the head of that company am public person - for example, I have been organizing the bitcoin hackathon events and I was also a speaker at last bitcoin conference.

The fees are now fixed 0.002 BTC per outgoing bitcoin transaction (bitcoin network fee included), transactions between easywallet.org instances are free and instant (also more privacy, no real bitcoin transaction is generated). Features like dead mans switch and coupons have their own fees.

We will try to make the page shorter & less text-heavy.

I personally will definitely have more an eye on easywallet now. Instawallet re-vamped their design just recently and I expect them to copy some of your features. I use instawallet mainly to show people with a smart-phone how easy they can accept bitcoins right away but also send instawallets by mail keeping a bookmark to collect the full BTC after some months after announcing to collect it after "one month or so". Your dead-man switch and coupon codes might be more elegant for the latter. The former is nicer with instawallet though as instawallet seams to long-poll for incoming coins.

ɃɃ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: