Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:32:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen if Bitcoin went offline for good tomorrow?  (Read 2240 times)
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 06:09:33 PM

1PpM1wHT9M4SVvjLatEiqTEzn4tQ9LvC1

You mean "The entire internet went offline" or just Bitcoin (edit: not possible as long as we have the internet)?
Which catastrophe would need to happen to the worldwide internet to go offline?

I guess, we would have other problems than Bitcoin at that moment.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 06:24:27 PM

i would lose a good amount of wealth, but i'm sure that something akin will emerge quickly, for this reason i'm not worried too much
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 06:56:33 PM

Nothing, we would all lose our investments. The few lucky ones that are trading and holding coins on the exchanges would be able to sell their coins but I am not sure they would be allowed to withdraw the Fiat by the exchanges.

Something else would emerge, some new coin but I don't know how successful this would be, not too much probably, since all of the Bitcoiners would have lost money with Bitcoin and bad press would be enormous for this new coin to take off!

1BXUDNLZCwbgAp1bwU59ZHt3mTJPtG81pj
icematikx

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 07:12:04 PM

I think that I'd finally realize that I should stop investing in things that don't deliver concrete returns (like ISA's and savings accounts).

I'm hoping Bitcoin is the high risk/reward investment I've been wishing for.

1NtJNZEyXHFYoKzbMa3H73348H6rcg5Qrb
Pathi

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 07:19:31 PM

Sell like crazy

offline = no transaction can be made.
how would you sell them if you can't even send the bitcoins?

I was Referring to the BTC I have on Cryptsy and Coinbase

I would assume these wallets would be offline also. IE ALL wallets are dead in the water.

1DvvC36jvRACMUfYHcWN3bFbmMwyNpGGEJ

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 08:25:56 PM

15kADsBTud7qMKqD6cBcvGpnJX37Lznuhh

If Bitcoin goes offline, what will happen to the BTC I hold at my address? It will become NIL or it will be unaccessible?

I wouldn't be quite affected by it but would feel bad for the end of a crypto currency that I learnt about and used for about 2 years. For me it will be an end to one which could lead to the birth of another crypto currency.

Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

If bitcoin goes offline,few of us would become poor as they have invested lot in mining etc the rest will come here on forum to share how much they lost Cheesy
1E35dNx1BCxAzWfLjPu8K3mwWL2hhjD21M

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 08:35:38 PM

The only way for Bitcoin to go offline is for the internet to go offline. The only way that can happen nowadays is for a massive solar flare to hit the Earth. This would do much more damage than just shutting down Bitcoin, and Bitcoin being offline would be the least of our worries. Without any electricity, entire infrastructures would collapse and many people would probably die from lack of food and water (which both need electricity to produce).

16mT7jrpkjnJBD7a3TM2awyxHub58H6r6Z

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 08:36:28 PM

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 08:44:05 PM

Though highly improbable, bitcoin's price on fiat would probably plummet, and everything would be written on books, blogs, articles. In short, everything about bitcoin would only be a history for us to ponder on.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 08:56:35 PM

The blockchain remains and the hodler value is safe and sound within it.  Workarounds for whatever happened will be invented.

If the workarounds or a long down-time requires a code change, patches will be available to bring the system back up.  There will likely be multiple competing efforts to bring Bitcoin back on-line.  'consensus' will define which of these succeed.  In this phase it will be critical for users to have information on who to trust.  I suggest that people spend some time evaluating this problem before it is necessary.

I don't even think it is all that improbable that such an event will happen, though I suspect that there will be corners of the earth where Bitcoin continues on unmolested and that complicates analysis.  Some of these corners will likely be private networks of size, and some of these networks may not have Bitcoin's best interest in mind.  Relatedly, a global network attack could punch tactical holes in the shield to aggravate recovery efforts.

Even in the best of circumstances, difficulties may be problematic as it was for certain sha256-based alt coins when attacked by Bitcoin proponents.  I would lean toward efforts to make some fixes to Bitcoin corresponding to bringing it back on-line.  Several of the biggest of these would be to do away with sha256 proof-of-work (and consequently, the consolidation of mining power behind ASIC investors) and also the regrettable fact that simple verifying transfer nodes are not rewarded.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 09:04:05 PM

If Bitcoin down for technical reasons, it will be fixed sooner or later by the devs. If it is a global ban by governments through internet providers, a patch will be found to circumvent the ban. The only way Bitcoin can be gone is a complete shut down of the internet.

191Zpgz9ztSq6h6kudbgrTcDSiZEaTYWmC
mrsalve

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 09:30:51 PM

Dear Lord. Some people here shod actually find a regular job. Incomprehensible!

17yK9Av9aRcd7aMY216PZJQZgjyKmTUxN3

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
maokoto

Activity: 770

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 09:35:01 PM

If Bitcoin went offline tomorrow we would have to go to the altcoin forum section Cheesy

1Q5AV8vb8cnK8zNfy6WbJez8PfLmZK5QgD

BornBlazed

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2015, 09:38:24 PM

1DazH8oRvPqc11p5UjGpQ8x9ykMmh5nzau

Pat myself on the back for Cashing out all my BTC and buying Nubits (pegged too US dollar) .

Easy to Claim Ecoins Airdrop! https://ecoinofficial.org/referral/wczxkq0
Coinshot

Activity: 521

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 09:46:00 PM

It would be a sad day for many of us, but more than that it would be the end of a "common man's" dream of a world where you can direct and control
your finances withouth interacting or relying on third party services.

Tbh, i think there's enough of us who believe in bitcoin, who will not let this ever happen. I don't care if price goes to single figure number, it's just important
for it to remain an option as a medium of transacting value.

15d4885Q9Thw7v9a1qJgSndQNLtyzS5TLo

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 02:43:39 AM

The sun will go dark, the moon will no longer shine her light, and the stars will fall from heaven.

1bonesr7ELVnEGa5PBXpkncU2gujZMEkf
lastuser

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 03:41:23 AM

If bitcoin went offline for good tomorrow, then there is no reason for me to live. Bitcoin is love, bitcoin is life. Grin
mookid

Activity: 446
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 03:44:53 AM

If bitcoin went offline, another platform is going to take his place, maybe Ethereum, or more probably, something mature enough.
Problem is, most of the altcoins aren't up for the challenge. It needs to be something with a strong tech, but that can grow quick.
Since i hold some Eths, i would love to see them triumph, but the platform it's still young.
What it's certain is that a lot of people are going to lose lot's of money.
1QGGA5MZV8QZZ9oCrv9FUT9e72hb3TBNpt
White sugar
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 04:31:39 AM

1EUDH23engkaGBd7W5dmm48S6JmK77HVje

There are only around 100k Bitcoiners around the world, so I think outside people would not even notice it. I would sell all my stash for any price and just move along
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: