Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:01:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: blocksize solution: longest chain decides  (Read 2124 times)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 06:31:17 PM

The hardcoding of a blocksize is part of consensus just as they are running the same codebase overall.  I question the wisdom of making that part of the code at all.  However, it seems that having no limit could be problematic, and as Panther pointed out, miners do want some predictability, which is why I'm liking Bip100 more. Do you know if Jeff Garzik ever considered making it a 51% vote?

Sickpig suggested that the block size limit was a transport layer constraint that crept into the consensus layer.  I agree.  I don't think we really need a protocol enforced limit because:

1. There is a significant economic cost to producing large spam blocks as an attack.  

2. There is a physical limitation to how large a block can be (due to bandwidth and other constraints).  

3. The miners can enforce an effective limit anyways.  

BIP100 seems redundant (and dangerous if it's not based on majority votes).  Let's get rid of the limit and let the miners sort it out.  

Ok cool.  Let's.

Is there a BIP for this?

If not, can we create one?

bitcoin no limit! fuck ya! miners would simply always include some maximum amount of TX to make sure other miners accept it and keep mining on top of it.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_Improvement_Proposals
People wishing to submit BIPs, first should propose their idea or document to the mailing list. After discussion they should email Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com>. After copy-editing and acceptance, it will be published here.

We are fairly liberal with approving BIPs, and try not to be too involved in decision making on behalf of the community. The exception is in very rare cases of dispute resolution when a decision is contentious and cannot be agreed upon. In those cases, the conservative option will always be preferred.

Having a BIP here does not make it a formally accepted standard until its status becomes Active. For a BIP to become Active requires the mutual consent of the community.

Those proposing changes should consider that ultimately consent may rest with the consensus of the Bitcoin users (see also: economic majority).

jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 06:33:47 PM

miners would simply always include some maximum amount of TX to make sure other miners accept it and keep mining on top of it.

You lost me.  Come again?

brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 06:36:13 PM

The hardcoding of a blocksize is part of consensus just as they are running the same codebase overall.  I question the wisdom of making that part of the code at all.  However, it seems that having no limit could be problematic, and as Panther pointed out, miners do want some predictability, which is why I'm liking Bip100 more. Do you know if Jeff Garzik ever considered making it a 51% vote?

Sickpig suggested that the block size limit was a transport layer constraint that crept into the consensus layer.  I agree.  I don't think we really need a protocol enforced limit because:

1. There is a significant economic cost to producing large spam blocks as an attack.  

2. There is a physical limitation to how large a block can be (due to bandwidth and other constraints).  

BIP100 seems redundant (and dangerous if it's not based on majority votes).  Let's get rid of the limit and let the miners sort it out.  

Ok cool.  Let's.

Is there a BIP for this?

bitcoin no limit! fuck ya! miners would simply always include some maximum amount of TX to make sure other miners accept it and keep mining on top of it.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_Improvement_Proposals
People wishing to submit BIPs, first should propose their idea or document to the mailing list. After discussion they should email Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com>. After copy-editing and acceptance, it will be published here.

We are fairly liberal with approving BIPs, and try not to be too involved in decision making on behalf of the community. The exception is in very rare cases of dispute resolution when a decision is contentious and cannot be agreed upon. In those cases, the conservative option will always be preferred.

Having a BIP here does not make it a formally accepted standard until its status becomes Active. For a BIP to become Active requires the mutual consent of the community.

Those proposing changes should consider that ultimately consent may rest with the consensus of the Bitcoin users (see also: economic majority).

No limit is the most guaranteed way to turn Bitcoin into Govcoin and Peter knows this.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
brg444

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 06:41:15 PM

Sickpig (forum member here) suggested that the block size limit was a transport layer constraint that crept into the consensus layer.  I agree.  I don't think we really need a protocol enforced limit because:

These costs, as it has been explained to you repeatedly, are trivial given incremental centralization. In other words miners are incentivized to centralize so as to limit their orphan risks and create larger blocks.

"The miners" cannot enforce a limit. Individual miners can "vote" for a certain limit but never enforce it for the whole network. Under no block size cap, smaller miners have no control and can easily be choked out of the network by larger ones putting more hashpower in support of "their" limit.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 06:44:44 PM

Ok cool.  Let's.

Is there a BIP for this?

/u/awemany started working on one.  Here's a Reddit post introducing the concept:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin_uncensored/comments/3hdeqs/a_block_size_limit_was_never_part_of_satoshis/

And here's the link to his draft:

https://github.com/awemany/bslconfig/releases/download/second-draft/bslconfig.pdf

The idea was actually to just change MAX_BLOCKSIZE from constant to a user-adjustable variable max_blocksize (the user could set using the GUI to 8 MB or to infinity or to whatever).  

I felt this idea needed a better presentation to gain traction, and I suggested we hold off for now.  I may pursue this idea in the fall if there's still deadlock.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 06:52:38 PM

These costs, as it has been explained to you repeatedly, are trivial given incremental centralization. In other words miners are incentivized to centralize so as to limit their orphan risks and create larger blocks.

No, Gmax has been hand-waving about some hypothetical future network configuration (that is unlike what bitcoin is or has ever been) that many people with broader knowledge of economics disagree with (assuming it's even physically possible).  

Right now--based on the average network propagation impedance--it would cost about 4 BTC to produce an 8 MB block, and VASTLY more to produce a 1 GB block (if the limit were removed).  Connectivity would have to improve already just to make 20 MB blocks economical...

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 06:56:28 PM

/u/awemany started working on one.  Here's a Reddit post introducing the concept:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bitcoin_uncensored/comments/3hdeqs/a_block_size_limit_was_never_part_of_satoshis/

https://github.com/awemany/bslconfig/releases/download/second-draft/bslconfig.pdf

The idea was actually to just change MAX_BLOCKSIZE from constant to a user-adjustable variable max_blocksize (the user could set using the GUI to 8 MB or to infinity or to whatever).  

I felt this idea needed a better presentation to gain traction, and I suggested we hold off for now.  I may pursue this idea in the fall if there's still deadlock.  

that's how it starts, there will be many ideas, and a lot of work put behind each one, forks start spewing out, hashing power get divided 2 no 3 no 4 "Bitcoin Blockchains" all at once competing all pretty much the same thing, but the geeks agree they are profoundly different, no one understands why!?!?, outsiders are convinced, bitcoin is and always will be GEEKY AS FUCK.

the end is near!

dachnik

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 06:59:32 PM

The limit determines the size of the consensus network.
If nodes cannot keep up, they will be pushed out.

On one hand, operators of full nodes have the right to decide what the limit should be, on the other hand, there must be a single static limit agreed upon via consensus. Otherwise more important full nodes (large miners, exchanges, merchants) might want to increase their limit via user-definable option and begin pushing home-based full nodes out of the consensus.

8Mb is a reasonable middle point for the next 4 years.
brg444

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:09:30 PM

No, Gmax has been hand-waving about some hypothetical future network configuration (that is unlike what bitcoin is or has ever been) that many people with broader knowledge of economics disagree with (assuming it's even physically possible).  

Right now--based on the average network propagation impedance--it would cost about 4 BTC to produce an 8 MB block, and VASTLY more to produce a 1 GB block (if the limit were removed).  Connectivity would have to improve already just to make 20 MB blocks economical...

You're lieing and a quick check into your email correspondence with him can confirm.

He is describe absolutely real and existing mining configurations which promise to worsen in the future given a removal of the blocksize cap.

brg444

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:12:32 PM

On one hand, operators of full nodes have the right to decide what the limit should be, on the other hand, there must be a single static limit agreed upon via consensus. Otherwise more important full nodes (large miners, exchanges, merchants) might want to increase their limit via user-definable option and begin pushing home-based full nodes out of the consensus.

Your post shows exceptional logic and clarity.... until the last sentence.

We want to stay as close as possible to actual network demand and there are very reasonable opinions as to why blocks should get filled on average until we precipitate any change.

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:13:27 PM

He is describe absolutely real and existing mining configurations which promise to worsen in the future given a removal of the blocksize cap.

Then why is the network propagation impedance so high?  Answer: because he's talking about something hypothetical (that is unlikely to ever happen and may not even be possible).  

jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:23:15 PM

Ok cool.  Let's.

Is there a BIP for this?

I think it would be more strategic to go the other way.  Present this now,
let everyone freak out about "no limit Bitcoin" and then Bip 101 will seem
more reasonable by comparison (to those that believe we need a limit
or the sky will fall).

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:26:09 PM

I don't understand what "mining configuration" has to do with block size.  I have a "mining configuration" that runs off a slow DSL line.  My mining configuration runs a single stratum connection and transfers one block header every few seconds.   I have successfully mined a block this way using a well connected solo mining pool.

Mining centralization is not the same as node centralization.

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:28:44 PM

or the sky will fall).

I half agree.  But my worry is that without a more convincing presentation, it won't be taken seriously (i.e., it won't cause "everyone freak out about 'no limit Bitcoin.'")   

dachnik

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:30:19 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2015, 05:03:52 PM by dachnik

Your post shows exceptional logic and clarity.... until the last sentence.

We want to stay as close as possible to actual network demand and there are very reasonable opinions as to why blocks should get filled on average until we precipitate any change.

I appreciate the compliment.

Regarding the actual 8Mb figure.
The hassle of a hard fork (implied by the idea of a single static limit) should be enough to prevent individual nodes from meddling with the limit (via user-definable option or by recompiling the client), but because of the same reasons (the hassle of a hard fork) we don't want to do that every now and then. So we must future-proof it with regards to the competition and the current state of technology. That's why evolution has stages, it's not a continuous smooth process. You can look at it as a game of Chess as well, if you will. Now is Bitcoin's turn to make a move.

More on 8Mb justifications here.
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:37:34 PM

or the sky will fall).

I half agree.  But my worry is that without a more convincing presentation, it won't be taken seriously (i.e., it won't cause "everyone freak out about 'no limit Bitcoin.'")   

Yes it needs more meat.

A list of considerations and objections would need to be compiled and then addressed.

Also a few more paragraphs could be added about the nature of consensus and the
current difficulties.  What got me started on this thread was the thought that "hey wait a sec,
everyone had consensus on what Bitcoin is and does, but now we can't
agree because of some stupid technical detail."

Peter R
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:45:31 PM

or the sky will fall).

Yes it needs more meat.

A list of considerations and objections would need to be compiled and then addressed.

Agreed.  The most recurring objection in the Reddit thread was: if most the hash power doesn't set the exact same limit, then there exists a "sweet spot"-block size that splits the network exactly in half.  I don't think this will happen because everyone knows that it could happen unless most people come to consensus on a limit.  As long as nodes/miners can efficiently communicate block size limit negotiations, then I think we'll witness what I call "spontaneous consensus" events…sort of like a phase change in matter (liquid -> solid) but instead the 1 MB limit crumbles and a new precise limit at (e.g.) 8 MB is erected. 

What got me started on this thread was the thought that "hey wait a sec,

Exactly!  The same thought hit me recently too Smiley

brg444

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:48:12 PM

Then why is the network propagation impedance so high?  Answer: because he's talking about something hypothetical (that is unlikely to ever happen and may not even be possible).  

Lies, lies and lies. You have no shame!

You forced my hand here:

As a more concrete example, the block relay network today communicates far less than one bit per bit of blocksize to relay a block (e.g. transmitting a 962597 byte block using 3804 bytes-- I wonder why instead you did not announce your discovery that the block relay network has beat the Shanon limit! Smiley --- after all, by your metric it can transmit X bits of information over a channel which has _significantly_ less than X capacity).

You assume miners do not have the ability to change their level centralization.

-- In fact they do, not just in theory but in pratice have responded to orphaning this way in the past; and it is one of the major concerns in this space.

For example it does not reflect how hashers return work to pools _today_ (and since 2011) as they so to only by referencing the merkel
root... the pool already knows the  transaction set. In that particular case it knows it because it selected it to begin with, but the same behavior holds if the hasher selects the transaction set and sends it first.

It only _very_ weakly reflects how the relay protocol works (only the selection and permutation is communicated; not the transaction data itself; for already known transactions). Even if you assume nothing more than that (in spite of the existing reality) you have not shown that the compressed data must be linear in the size of the block.

It does not reflect how P2Pool works (which also sends the transactions in advance).

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 07:50:58 PM

or the sky will fall).

I half agree.  But my worry is that without a more convincing presentation, it won't be taken seriously (i.e., it won't cause "everyone freak out about 'no limit Bitcoin.'")    

Yes it needs more meat.

Agreed.  The most recurring objection in the Reddit thread was: if most the hash power doesn't set the exact same limit, then there exists a "sweet spot"-block size that splits the network exactly in half.  I don't think this will happen because everyone knows that it could happen unless most people come to consensus on a limit.  As long as nodes/miners can efficiently communicate block size limit negotiations, then I think we'll witness what I call "spontaneous consensus" events…sort of like a phase change in matter (liquid -> solid) but instead the 1 MB limit crumbles and a new precise limit at (e.g.) 8 MB is erected.  

What got me started on this thread was the thought that "hey wait a sec,

Exactly!  The same thought hit me recently too Smiley

bitcoin died in 2016 not because of a stupid technical detail, but because 15 different solutions were implemented for 1 stupid technical detail...

you could say bitcoin was trolled to death.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 07:54:19 PM

i can't wait to bitch about transaction malleability block limit is getting old.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: