Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:45:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hollywood Agency Shopping Rights to Mt Gox Movie  (Read 1170 times)
RappelzReborn (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 11:09:33 AM

The story of the rise and fall of bitcoin exchange Mt Gox and its CEO Mark Karpeles could soon find its way to the silver screen.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that a film version of David Kushner's recent Rolling Stone piece on Mark Karpeles and Mt Gox is being shopped around by Creative Artists Agency, one of Hollywood's biggest talent agencies known for representing a wide array of A-listers.

If optioned, the story would be the second involving bitcoin to enter the Hollywood pipeline, following 2013 news that the saga of online black market Silk Road had been picked up by 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment.

The news that the story is being considered by Hollywood executives raises a key question: who would play Karpeles?

A review of celebrity image comparison tool FacePlusPlus using this photo of Karpeles produced intriguing – if not slightly alarming – results, suggesting that Hollywood A-lister and Scientologist Tom Cruise bears enough of a resemblance to the Mt Gox CEO to play the part.

A representative from the agency wasn't immediately available for comment.

Source : http://www.coindesk.com/hollywood-execs-mt-gox-movie/

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 04:54:01 PM

A review of celebrity image comparison tool FacePlusPlus using this photo of Karpeles produced intriguing – if not slightly alarming – results, suggesting that Hollywood A-lister and Scientologist Tom Cruise bears enough of a resemblance to the Mt Gox CEO to play the part.

Horrible. Tom Cruise as Karpeles? Is the main objective of this movie improving the image of Mark Karpeles? Karpeles was a greedy monster who destroyed the lives of thousands of people. He was even more devilish than Jordan Belfort. Well... the Hollywood idiots managed to glorify Belfort (through the movie The Wolf of Wall Street). I just hope that this time that wont be the case. Burn in hell.... Karpeles.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 07:56:00 PM

Why is it the bitcoin community, including bitcointalk, is never associated with those hollywood projects? Then they will try to tell us they own any IP rights on anything bitcoin...

Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 08:06:56 PM

I just tried that http://www.faceplusplus.com/demo-search/ and Tom cruise does come up, but wtf he does not fit the bill at all.
You can try just about any face you find on the internet.

The photo I used was this http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/Karpeles_FaceZoom_Japan_October_2009_Wide.png

And its gone.
BitcoinMagician

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 10:36:20 PM

I would totally watch that movie, though it would probably not make it to theaters where I'm at. And I did not know that there was a silk road movie. I'll be checking that out soon. Bitcoin is barely beginning to make noise. Quite a few people have heard of it, not many know of it. We're getting more press when we have bad news, but I'm sure a well-made movie would show the more nuanced picture of the bitcoin market.
opaz

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 11:18:41 PM

Yeah it's a good story.

i'm imaging he was a complex character, not just a scally
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 06:43:30 AM

And I did not know that there was a silk road movie. I'll be checking that out soon.

There will never be a movie about Silk Road, period.

How can you compare Ross Ullbricht with Mark Karpeles and Jordan Belfort? Ross Ullbricht was the guy who single-handedly took on the big three (drug cartels, pharma cartels and the banking cartels). He needs to be demonized, and locked up in some dark dingy cell for the rest of his life. On the other hand, Mark Karpeles is a hero. He almost managed to destroy the reputation of Bitcoin. He was the one who stopped the mainstream adoption of Bitcoin. Mark Karpeles is the ultimate savior for the big bankers. He is equivalent to Jesus.

So, we can dish out stupid Hollywood movies glorifying Karpeles. But never talk anything about doing the same with Silk Road.
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 08:29:38 AM

Actually, you do have one. Smiley
And I am sure there will be many more to be made.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3312868/

Yeah?

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 11:15:24 AM

And I did not know that there was a silk road movie. I'll be checking that out soon.

Do they not make films about Al Capone and Pablo Escobar? There's more chance of a film about Silk Road being made than one about Gox. There's not even much of a story here. Some money went missing and nobody has any idea where it went. Not exactly exciting is it.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:58:17 PM

That one was a very small-budget documentary type movie. This movie was never released on the movie theaters within the United States and the near abroad. I was talking about Hollywood-scale movies, such as The Wolf of Wall Street, The Two Mr. Kissels and The Great Impostor (starring Tony Curtis & Frank Gorshin).
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 03:02:19 PM

That one was a very small-budget documentary type movie. This movie was never released on the movie theaters within the United States and the near abroad. I was talking about Hollywood-scale movies, such as The Wolf of Wall Street, The Two Mr. Kissels and The Great Impostor (starring Tony Curtis & Frank Gorshin).

So a movie is only a movie if its a big-budget and made by hollywood and released in the cinemas? And you're very wrong about a Silk Road movie. One is already in the works written by Dennis Lehane http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3271820/?ref_=nm_dev_4

I'm really interested to see how it works though. A movie set purely in the deep web or with a guy sat at his laptop sure could be boring. I just hope they don't add loads of fake drama and a love interest for Ross or something lol.

wxa7115

Activity: 2730
Merit: 706

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 05:15:54 AM

To be honest to me this seems like an attempt to try to demonize bitcoin through a propaganda machine.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 02:35:10 PM

I don't even know if this is going to be a good or bad! I just hope that this movie doesn't come to further give a bad name to bitcoin and digital currencies.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: