Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:02:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has an Armory wallet ever been hacked and how can it be protected against if yes  (Read 940 times)
Dmc123dmc (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Time is the one thing you can't run from

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 02:01:04 PM

Has an Armory wallet ever been hacked and how can it be protected against if any have. Pure curiosity. I have been using Armory for Over a year now.

██████████  ✔  PoSToken - First PoS Smart Contract Token - Get Your Free Tokens Now!
█     PoSToken    █  ✔  Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO  ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
██████████  ✔  ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Guiomar

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 05:13:16 PM

Has an Armory wallet ever been hacked and how can it be protected against if any have. Pure curiosity. I have been using Armory for Over a year now.

It depends on your understanding of "hacked" I guess. Im pretty sure someone using armory had their password stolen by a keylogger or other malware. This is however a common problem with wallet software as it relies on a secure OS. If the OS is compromised there is little the software can do about it.
doug_armory

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

Senior Developer - Armory

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 05:15:58 PM

I'm unaware of any successful hacking attempts made against Armory. The only possibility I can think of would be one where somebody has an unencrypted wallet that gets copied when somebody has physical or remote access to the computer. The solution in that case is quite simple: Encrypt your wallets with a passphrase. Smiley You should never have an unencrypted wallet without very specific reasons, and an unencrypted wallet should never hold more coins that whatever you're willing to lose.

Or, as the last poster said, I suppose a keylogger could steal your passphrase. Not much we can do there, unfortunately. It'd be cool to add some code that understood one's typing cadence and such, and could tell if somebody wasn't you. I'm not going to write that code! (Hell, short of hiring a real expert in that particular field to write it, I'd object to such code being in Armory, period.)

Senior Developer -  Armory Technologies, Inc.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 05:21:29 PM

Armory has been hacked as much as other reputable wallets... In all situations, the problems were between the keyboard and the chair, not between the monitor and the keyboard Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: