Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:02:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ATM Invades Privacy ( BitXatm )  (Read 1207 times)
miragecash (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 03:31:50 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if the new BitXatm takes your picture and/or video while you're using it? I know it requires you to give your cell phone number for amounts over $999 USD (if in the USA) and it requires a scan of your government issued photo ID if the transaction is over $2999. No tranaaction can be over $9999.

However, is there a security camera in it that takes video and/or photos?

Thanks,
Paranoid. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 03:59:11 PM

You should assume there is a camera. Not necessarily on the machine but on the premises.

However, note that it is not that difficult to disguise yourself. I once was part of an advanced leadership course that (as part of the training) required you to role-play for a week a certain character that was so unlike yourself. This included using professional disguise kits to change your appearance. Believe me after a little bit of disguise application (plus changes in posture, demeanor) my course mates did not even recognize one another initially.

One thing to note though is that a camera on the machine itself may be able to surreptitiously do a retina scan if you look at it directly.
CoinATMRadar

Activity: 97
Merit: 20

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 11:04:25 AM

I was wondering if the new BitXatm takes your picture and/or video while you're using it?

To my knowledge bitXatm types of bitcoin ATMs don't have inbuilt camera. So they can't make your pic, however, there could be monitoring cameras at the location.

Which one you are talking particularly?

Maybe there are other bitcoin ATMs around.

Looking for BITCOIN ATM close to you? Check Bitcoin ATM Map from CoinATMRadar.
miragecash (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 03:29:46 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2015, 03:39:50 PM by miragecash

I did some further research and yes, they do have a camera, the one that reads bar codes and they also have a technology that will read your fingerprints off the lcd screen. However, it will still conduct the transaction even if you use your knuckles instead of your fingerprints.

No, disguises won't help because, although I don't think they scan your retinas, they could alter their code in the future to do so as it is not open source code. If you can see well enough to conduct the transaction, then the machine can see well enough to scan your retinas.

It is up to the operator of the machine and the laws of your jurisdiction to determine what level of identification you'll need to provide. Some BitXatm's don't require any id for small amounts of money, while others require scanning your government issued ID, taking your pic, and fingerprints.

I think the Lamassu ones don't require any ID, but they do not give out cash for BTC.
The Robocoin machines are the most odious in terms of not respecting privacy. It needs to take your palm print, scan your face, and scans your government issued ID.
The BitXatms are variable, it varies by jurisdiction and personal prerference of the machine operator.

I think giving up a little privacy and using the BitXatm is a good tradeoff IMHO because I've never had a good experience with localbitcoins. I've never bought any bitcoins from localbitcoins;
1. my first attempt was almost a robbery. The location was a biker bar and it was full of gang members. I decided not to risk it. I didn't feel like getting into a gunfight with 30 other peeps. I texted him a lame excuse to cancel the meet.
2. my 2nd attempt ended up in the seller texting me a lame excuse to cancel the meet. He told me he fell ill at the last second. Maybe I look menacing to him. Lol.

At this point, I gave up and just bought a trivial amount from a coworker. I'm still looking to buy some bitcions. LOL.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 04:12:12 PM

They can do as they wish, so you should be prepared for the worst. Yes, they are probably taking pictures, retina scans, etc. So you just assume that and find a way to buy bitcoins anyway.

It's amazing to me, and all of these threads come from the US, how controlled everything is in your country. I mean it seems to me that you can't even f**t that somebody doesn't control you or takes picture. It's impossible to buy bitcoins in the US without thorough KYC at the moment. And I see through different threads that people are afraid of their government. For God's sake, what is this world coming to.

I am happy that I live in Europe!
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 04:15:30 PM

Do you really think they would have retina scanning abilities? I'd assume that would be very expensive to implement in an ATM so I doubt they do that. I'm sure they do have a normal camera recording all activity though.

It is pretty crazy how much privacy they are attempting to take away though.
miragecash (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 04:34:56 PM

Do you really think they would have retina scanning abilities? I'd assume that would be very expensive to implement in an ATM so I doubt they do that. I'm sure they do have a normal camera recording all activity though.

It is pretty crazy how much privacy they are attempting to take away though.

A robocoin atm costs $15,000-35,000 USD. A HD video camera necessary for retina scans costs $2000 USD. I'm pretty sure any BTM has a retina scan ready HD video camera.
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 04:35:24 PM

There used to be Bitcoin enthusiast meetups where people could buy and sell Bitcoins. Do they still have them anywhere? The sound like your best bet for buying Bitcoins without KYC. I assumed the Bitcoin ATMs that only required a mobile phone number did no significant KYC until I read they can scan your fingerprints when you touch the screen. That kind of sneaky KYC is worse than the straightforward stuff because you would be unaware of it.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 04:52:04 PM

You can be sure that you're being filmed using most Bitcoin ATMs (I think there are only 1-2 one-way models that don't do that). In addition to that many Bitcoin ATMs also require additional biometric data (fingerprint, vascular scan) for larger sums. Overall using a Bitcoin ATM is in general more invasive than using a "traditional" cash ATM.

So I can only recommend not using them, if you have a choice. If you take appropriate precautions, face2face transactions are the best way to acquire Bitcoin without surrendering your privacy to the surveillance state.

My hope is that in the not so distant future, Bitcoin ATMs will become obsolete, because all transactions are done in Bitcoin - without the need for fiat conversions.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:23:40 PM

You can be sure that you're being filmed using most Bitcoin ATMs (I think there are only 1-2 one-way models that don't do that). In addition to that many Bitcoin ATMs also require additional biometric data (fingerprint, vascular scan) for larger sums. Overall using a Bitcoin ATM is in general more invasive than using a "traditional" cash ATM.

So I can only recommend not using them, if you have a choice. If you take appropriate precautions, face2face transactions are the best way to acquire Bitcoin without surrendering your privacy to the surveillance state.

My hope is that in the not so distant future, Bitcoin ATMs will become obsolete, because all transactions are done in Bitcoin - without the need for fiat conversions.

ya.ya.yo!

Maybe traditional ATM's don't use Bio-metric data as much as do BTC ones, but they do have camera's not only in the ATM, but usually around the premises as well. That coupled with physical possession of a card that the issuing institution most assuredly has personal information about you and the requirement of a PIN, that only the customer should know, I don't know how much privacy you are getting as they will know who withdrew the cash.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 01:27:46 AM

Then look for other options. I'm sure there are long list of methods which may not be necessarily secure but at least protects our privacy. I even don't mind oaying a little extra as long it meets my demand

mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 04:04:07 AM

all this kind of ''service'' providers are invading the privacy!

this and other types of btc related business are the leaches of our world!
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 04:25:55 PM

Maybe traditional ATM's don't use Bio-metric data as much as do BTC ones, but they do have camera's not only in the ATM, but usually around the premises as well. That coupled with physical possession of a card that the issuing institution most assuredly has personal information about you and the requirement of a PIN, that only the customer should know, I don't know how much privacy you are getting as they will know who withdrew the cash.

I did not want to say that cash ATMs are privacy-friendly. They are not. But collecting biometric information is imho definitely another invasive step, because you don't know where these data end up. Because these data are directly tied to you as a person, they might ultimately be used to identify you in all kinds of situations where you are totally unaware of it. On the other hand, if you insert a bank card into an ATM, you make (more or less) an informed decision to provide your personal data in this situation (only).

Sadly, I think the surveillance trend won't be stopped in the foreseeable future...

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████