Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:40:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to add Bitcoin symbol to Unicode  (Read 5508 times)
kens (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 03:34:28 PM

I've written a proposal for the Bitcoin symbol BTC to be added to the Unicode standard. This would make it much easier to use the BTC symbol in text.

The proposal is at http://righto.com/bitcoin-unicode.pdf. I've successfully proposed the addition of a symbol to Unicode before, so I'm familiar with the process.

Take a look and let me know of any errors. If you are known in the Bitcoin community or represent a company, please let me add your endorsement to this proposal - your support will help sway the Unicode committee.

Thanks,
Ken
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 03:37:23 PM

I've written a proposal for the Bitcoin symbol BTC to be added to the Unicode standard. This would make it much easier to use the BTC symbol in text.

The proposal is at http://righto.com/bitcoin-unicode.pdf. I've successfully proposed the addition of a symbol to Unicode before, so I'm familiar with the process.

Take a look and let me know of any errors. If you are known in the Bitcoin community or represent a company, please let me add your endorsement to this proposal - your support will help sway the Unicode committee.
Have you looked at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol before?

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
kens (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 03:51:31 PM

Yes, the wiki page is referenced in my proposal. The problem is that BTC isn't in the Unicode standard, so you can't easily use it and need to use a workaround like ฿ or Ƀ or a custom font. By adding BTC to Unicode, the character can be conveniently used everywhere. (This forum uses a special font that allows it to display the symbol.)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 04:01:40 PM

hello Kens,

i read your paper. very good work. dont forget to collect the 1000 bits on reddit  Wink

http://bitcoinsymbol.org/

Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 09:02:28 PM

Good work indeed. I fully support your effort of introducing the BTC symbol as a true Unicode standard instead of trying to adapt a existing symbol in its stead.

Unfortunately, I do not represent a large corporation or other influential interest to help with your proposals endorsement, but I can only offer you my encouragement.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 09:10:04 PM

This is a great initiative that you have taken. Thanks a lot for doing it. It is too hard to use a Bitcoin symbol anywhere online at the moment. Your initiative could change this. We need every little thing like this to get us to the masses out there.

Even though I can't do much more, you have my support!
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2015, 09:58:46 PM

Glad to see this and thanks for the effort, will save me in future from always having to type btc or bitcoin in most cases. Always to lazy to lift the hand to the mouse to hit the special character above so just type it out.

When you are done with this you should get onto the computer manufacturers so that they can include a bitcoin key like the Windows key on all keyboards. Bitcoin is going to become so mainstream that we will really need this  Cheesy
goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 10:11:24 PM

Interesting idea, and a needed one i believe, because other than here on btctalk, we can't make btc symbol right now.
What was the other case where you successfully proposed the addition of a symbol to Unicode ?

Glad to see this and thanks for the effort, will save me in future from always having to type btc or bitcoin in most cases. Always to lazy to lift the hand to the mouse to hit the special character above so just type it out.

When you are done with this you should get onto the computer manufacturers so that they can include a bitcoin key like the Windows key on all keyboards. Bitcoin is going to become so mainstream that we will really need this  Cheesy

Not sure if you're trolling or serious, but either way we're long way from there. Currently community is even having a hard time keeping the people we already have..

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 10:18:40 PM

The proposed character which is closely to real bitcoin symbol is Unicode hex input: Alt +0E3F ( ฿ )
runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 10:56:03 PM

It's time.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
wearehatetherules

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 11:22:15 PM

how about the proposal dude? its accepted now?

kens (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 12:19:14 AM

LiteCoinGuy, Za1n, Mickeyb, Rustynomad, runpaint, etc: Thanks for your support.

goosoodude, the character I successfully added to Unicode before is the "group mark symbol", used by IBM computers in the 1960s. http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2015/15083-group-mark.pdf

jt byte: My proposal covers BTC not ฿.

wearehatetherules: I haven't submitted the proposal yet. The Unicode Committee's next meeting is in November.

Ken
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 12:35:08 AM

How do we show our support for the proposal?  Is there some sort of online petition we sign or is support only useful if we're notable in some way?
tadakaluri

Activity: 616

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2015, 01:17:38 AM

Thanks,
Ken

Great job.  I really appreciate your work. I hope Unicode Committee can accept Bitcoin symbol soon.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2015, 01:23:01 AM

How do we show our support for the proposal?  Is there some sort of online petition we sign or is support only useful if we're notable in some way?

This. I would like to know the same. Is there anything we can do to show support? Hopefully whoever makes the decision knows about bitcoin's rise to legitimacy recently. There's a ticker on CNN Money markets section, it's garnered support from NYSE and is accepted by a couple large players in retail.

Agaguk24

Activity: 242
Merit: 100

Extended Reality Advertising

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 02:21:21 AM

Great idea to include Bitcoin symbol in Unicode  Cheesy

kens (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:40:27 AM

Your support here is helpful since it shows the "Bitcoin community" is mostly in favor. So thanks, tspacepilot. Petitions can help for new emojis, but for text characters the Unicode committee mostly looks for examples of the character being used in "running text".  That is, the character needs to be part of text, not an icon or logo. I think I have enough examples, but if you come across the Bitcoin symbol being used in books or magazines, let me know.

Ken
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 10:25:34 AM

I am in favor of adding it to Unicode.
It's a bout time and it would make things a lot easier.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 10:38:53 AM

Great idea to include Bitcoin symbol in Unicode  Cheesy

as long as it does not became a trend with every altcoin out there, and i think this is partially the reason why it was not added yet, i'm supporting this also

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 12:02:41 PM

Hi all,

I just got the following answer from the Unicode Consortium:

Subject: UTC response on Bitcoin logo, L2/11-129

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Unicode.

At last week's UTC meeting, the committee reviewed your proposal and decided not to encode the Bitcoin symbol at this time.

The committee felt that use of the symbol as an element in running text had not been demonstrated in the proposal. It is used as an image or logo.

The symbol also appears to be used as a Bitcoin logo, and there may also be intellectual property considerations.

Regards
    Rick McGowan
    Unicode, Inc.

So, can someone from the core developers provide me with the license of the bitcoin currency symbol and with several examples of running text so I can resubmit the application?

Thanks,

Pander
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: