Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:29:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The state of crypto - The only serious thread on the subforum  (Read 19412 times)
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 11:05:04 PM

Is that possible? 

yes, but again your not even on the same page, and to put you where i'm at would be too long a journey with zero point.

however earlier you eluded to bitcoin evolving into what i (and others) need, personally i can't see this happening as bitcoins been going more in the opposite direction, however i don't discount an offshoot of bitcoin evolving so.

kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 11:08:53 PM

If someone read the original post, followed the conclusion, and went to market with that information, you would currently be up 40% profit in a time span of 24 hours:

if they' done the same 12 months ago they'd be down 90%  Shocked

24hrs in any market (unless you're daytrading and your op post certainly was not daytrading advice), has little relevance.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 11:14:17 PM

If someone read the original post, followed the conclusion, and went to market with that information, you would currently be up 40% profit in a time span of 24 hours:

Hold your horses my man! 8 months ago BTS was at 0.00009, then started falling as a rock. Trust me, I held over 100,000 BTS, but then they started falling as a rock from the sky.

Also, this little recovery smells just like a little pump and dump scheme, since I cant find any reason, any news, why the BTS are rising at the moment!

brekyrself

Activity: 547
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 11:17:00 PM

Hold your horses my man! 8 months ago BTS was at 0.00009, then started falling as a rock. Trust me, I held over 100,000 BTS, but then they started falling as a rock from the sky.

Also, this little recovery smells just like a little pump and dump scheme, since I cant find any reason, any news, why the BTS are rising at the moment!

2.0 will be out before oct 21.  They will announce a 1 month testing period before the "pitchfork."  Feature set and browser based wallet look pretty nice...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1171829.0
runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 11:41:35 PM

Is that possible? 

yes, but again your not even on the same page, and to put you where i'm at would be too long a journey with zero point.

True, and it's good that you're able to admit it.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:05:35 AM

Is that possible? 

True, and it's good that you're able to admit it.

saves us both alot of meaningless effort Wink
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:08:10 AM

24hrs in any market (unless you're daytrading and your op post certainly was not daytrading advice), has little relevance.

You don't reach what is now double the volume of Ethereum without fundamentals

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:13:48 AM

You don't reach what is now double the volume of Ethereum without fundamentals

Ethereum itself has only been on the market for a relatively short time. Coins get hot, then they're not (and maybe someday hot again). That's how this game works.

Take a look after 6-12 months over the course of the entire period and see if the picture is the same. It may be, it may not be, but I agree that 24 hours is almost entirely meaningless.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:52:16 AM

I would check back in 3 month. And see where price is
hashtag101

Activity: 419

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 01:18:34 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2015, 01:34:59 AM by hashtag101

The question here is how do we find the ways crypto can truly help the everyday user, that have not been done yet, and find a way to make them happen.

How do we make a crypto that has a real selling point, that is compelling enough to move the prospective user?

What do people need? What non-crypto platforms are successful now? How can they be improved, joined, and made more useful than they are now, then incorporated into a decentralized crypto?

What brand new ways of doing things can we offer?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 02:09:53 AM

The question here is how do we find the ways crypto can truly help the everyday user, that have not been done yet, and find a way to make them happen.

How do we make a crypto that has a real selling point, that is compelling enough to move the prospective user?

What do people need? What non-crypto platforms are successful now? How can they be improved, joined, and made more useful than they are now, then incorporated into a decentralized crypto?

What brand new ways of doing things can we offer?
Id say blockchain turing completeness combined with a new structured programming design can be powerful for software in general.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 03:48:28 AM

i think many of the older 2013 and prior coins have evolved and improved to be of great value/usefulness then the 2.0 original coin types.
okiefromokc

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 04:00:30 AM

In order to reach Joe Public it has to be convenient, and easy enough that someone with a 5 grade education will be able to understand how to use it.
It must be decentralized, in other words a P2P network system.
It must be mobile/portable such as a debit/credit card size preferably or a small screen flip phone.
The network application must be fast as in less than 20 seconds to get a send/receive confirmation back to Joe.

Given these above I am not sure how your going to be able to scale any blockchain to an international Paypal level, let alone to the VISA level.
An example that I have in mind is the SMS text messaging that is used worldwide on 3G flip phones, and I am not talking about any smart phones.
If the SMS texting network could be some how used to send and receive crypto-currency that would be a boon to the crypto environment.
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 11:53:30 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2015, 12:53:22 PM by r0ach

Someone linked this in an XMR thread, probably bullish for crypto in general as people try to avoid more inflationary government "coins":

http://yournewswire.com/denmark-becomes-first-country-to-ban-cash/

Situation for Monero looking kind of blah at the moment, but as everybody knows, someone like Rptiela can just double it's price at any time:

Halftime is kind of a milestone.
Soon we will see if Monero will get any meaningful valuation or not.
Soon there is no excuses such as "the emission is too high for any higher price". Emission is not going to be high anymore and if the market cap will not start rising during the coming 1 year, it probably will not rise ever. There will be no momentum and then the scenario which is going to happen most likely will happen and the coin start to decline little by little as the "long time holders" start to empty their plastic bags from coins.
There is not much time for excuses anymore. Until these days we have been able to argue that the emission is high - in my opinion it is not that high anymore and especially as there will be only 100 % more coins to be mined (again, excluded the tail emission),

In other news, Bitshares still rising with volume increasing way beyond Ethereum on Poloniex, and any second Kelsey will probably attempt to hand you a brochure for Litecoin for some unknown reason.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
delulo

Activity: 441

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:03:27 PM

Re to the OP:

Bitshares will have privacy with Bitshares 2.0 (can be enabled or disabled within the wallet) too https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=17687.30 (see the whole thread).

Ethereum's proposal for POS is casper. See https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/08/01/introducing-casper-friendly-ghost/
Review by D. Larimer http://bytemaster.github.io/2015/08/08/Review-of-Casper-Ethereums-proposed-Proof-of-Stake-Algorithm/

Bitassets are backed by Bitshares not by themselves. And Bitshares (BTS) have value apart from being a collateral for Bitassets. BTS is the core asset of a platform that supports many use cases besides Bitassets.
r0ach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:34:14 PM

I added the anonymity features link to original post.  As for Ethereum, it doesn't seem like anything is really set in stone for it, so not really worth commenting yet as in saying, so and so will work or won't work in the long term.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 01:39:00 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2015, 01:52:16 PM by Nxtblg

Good call! I actually bought 10'000 of 'em before BTS started rolling, at 1466 satoshis. The funny thing is, I bought 'em simply because I had the BTC to spare and I thought it was finally time I refilled my bucket. (I had ~10000 earlier, which I bought at twice the price, but I sold 'em at a loss - ~2500 sats - to switch to something else.)

So there you go: a real-world, real-life case of someone who bought at the bottom. The funny thing is, I had no idea it would take off! I wanted a small stake anyway, the price looked right, and I had some spare BTC at the time I bought. That was all.

I hope everyone remembers this little anecdote when some self-adverted hotshot brags, " I bought ---- at the bottom!" Just because someone did, doesn't mean he did so because of his timing acumen.  

EDIT: Shortly after making this post, I heard an "imaginary winner" echoing in my head: "Kid, why not just say you bought at the bottom and show 'em the screenshot? What, are you afraid that someone's going to pounce on you if you're not naked-in-the-street candid? Are you looking to burnish up your loser cred? Geez, do yourself a favour and learn how people tick!"

Sometimes it helps to ask yourself about the other side, I suppose...

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 01:52:59 PM

In other news, Bitshares still rising with volume increasing way beyond Ethereum on Poloniex, and any second Kelsey will probably attempt to hand you a brochure for Litecoin for some unknown reason.

Oh, I'm sure we all know the reason. Wink

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

r0ach (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 03:36:46 PM

Oh, I'm sure we all know the reason. Wink

I'm sure people have made money on Litecoin in the past by knowing that it usually benefits from a delayed bump after BTC, but there's probably too many other big or bigger players in the room now for those benefits to continue in a significant way.  It's overall less risky and more profitable to find whatever you think has the best fundamentals and stick with that, rather than trying to utilize some kind of symbiotic relationship with another coin.

If a PoW coin really did go all the way and take up one fourth the world's entire power supply or whatever it is people speculate, there's only going to be one of them, there's not going to be others, so it's kind of an irrational strategy from many angles where past performance obviously does not dictate future performance.  I do not see that scenario playing out for either BTC or LTC though.

As for BTC living or dying and it's effect on other currency, as I said in the thread below:

The other advantage is that even if Bitcoin was to crash to nothing, 2.0 platforms (Bitshares, Ethereum, etc) like this can blend in with traditional products traded on Wall Street and continue to have value if cryptocurrency is no longer trusted as a store of value in the fallout.  The native currency would obviously still have value being a part of the platform itself.

......ATLANT......
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
delulo

Activity: 441

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 04:33:49 PM

The other advantage is that even if Bitcoin was to crash to nothing, 2.0 platforms (Bitshares, Ethereum, etc) like this can blend in with traditional products traded on Wall Street and continue to have value if cryptocurrency is no longer trusted as a store of value in the fallout.  The native currency would obviously still have value being a part of the platform itself.

Bitshares always assumed that the value of BTS doesnt come from being money itself or "digital gold"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT9ICMfUDjk

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/DAC/Distributed_Autonomous_Company
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: