Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:33:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lost blockchain.info wallet identifier  (Read 7997 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 03:33:13 AM

I've been trying to help a friend recover a lost blockchain wallet ID - and emailed wallet@blockchain.info for assistance, but haven't heard back in a week.

Has anyone else had success getting a response regarding this?

I was able to supply info about the one and only transaction to that wallet (came from my own blockchain wallet) - but unfortunately the demo was cut short after delays due to problems with the iPhone blockchain app - and we didn't get a chance to email a backup etc.
We still have the password - but can't find the wallet.  (user deleted all his apps for some reason..)

Should info on a transaction theoretically be enough for piuk to identify the wallet and supply the ID?
I'm just curious to hear if anyone else has had luck with ID recovery and how long it took - thanks.

I know I should have gone through and done backup etc - but - we ran out of time. It wasn't a big amount - but it would be a shame if this guy's intro to Bitcoin was how easy it is to lose them.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:37:50 AM

emailed wallet@blockchain.info for assistance, but haven't heard back in a week.

The operator of BlockChain.info had been traveling for a couple weeks until this past weekend.  Be patient, and then maybe try again if you don't hear anything for a couple days.

We still have the password - but can't find the wallet.  (user deleted all his apps for some reason..)

Should info on a transaction theoretically be enough for piuk to identify the wallet and supply the ID?

Most likely.

Once access to the account is regained, there are several protections going forward.  Of course, adding a bookmark with the URL for the wallet is good.  Also setting up an alias is something that is useful.  But configuring the account with an e-mail address and having backups sent there automatically with each change to the wallet is likely a good further step.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 12:38:29 PM

Julz,

No unfortunately as we cannot look at the transactions or addresses in a wallet this will not help.

We can lookup a wallet by:

- ip address
- email
- skype username
- yubikey
- Password (by testing it against all wallets)

If you have any of these then i'm sure it can be found, knowing the approximate time and date the wallet was created also helps.

julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:37:27 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2012, 01:44:33 AM by julz

Thanks Piuk.
I believe we have the password - and the wallet creation would have been just before the transaction so we have an approximate time.
I'll email with this info in the next day or so.
Much appreciated.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:54:03 AM

Piuk,

I dont think the SMS feature is working for 2nd auth, I aint getting anything - can still access on my iphone tho for now so my coins are still accessible Smiley

Just letting you know.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: