Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] non-profit Scrypt coin: MERELcoin  (Read 3326 times)
merelcoin (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:08:58 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2015, 01:02:51 PM by merelcoin

Notice: my server (with the main node, the wallet and the pool) crashed today... Lost all my data   Undecided
I'll try to restore everything next week, hopefully i'll succeed, otherwise the project has to end here Embarrassed

Hi all,

Since i'm a sysadmin, i tought it would be funny to have a little coin for in-house usage... So i created MERELcoin.

The purpose of this coin is in-house, in-family, in-company usage OR you can use it to educate yourself, or show others the fundamentals of a blockchain... It is not my intention to get this coin on an exchange, it IS however my intention to make a full-featured package (more below)

Because it's a non-profit litecoin knockoff, i did a nice premine for myself... I think nobody will care as long as there weren't any monetary incentives Wink I basically wanted some coins to give to my kid when she did her chores, and i didn't want to wait untill somebody with an ASIC makes it impossible to mine any coins for myself Wink

It's a pure clone of Litecoin, NOTHING special was added... The maturity time and time between blocks was changed, also: the reward will drop signigicantly after block 10.000....

So, here are the links:

Download the wallets and nodes for windows and linux here:
http://www.merel.mobi/merelcoin/

A pool (first time running a pool... I make no guarantees about the uptime, usability, stability,....):
http://pool.merel.mobi/

A block explorer:
http://explorer.merel.mobi/rpcace.php

The sourcecode:
https://github.com/merelcoin/merelcoin

On online wallet (in eta, currently without nice GUI):
http://wallet.merel.mobi/login.php

New: There is now a (small) bounty in MEREL for the open tasks on my to-do list... I currently don't have much time, so i'm giving the community a chance to receive some MEREL by helping me Smiley
TODO:
  • Remove the last litecoin icons (the installer still shows the litecoin icon) => 100 MEREL
  • create a basic website => 2000 MEREL
  • create a paper wallet generator => 3000 MEREL
  • create an android wallet => 4000 MEREL
  • create a mac wallet => 7000 MEREL

ps... I'm only online about 1-2 times/week... so don't panick if i don't keep an eye on this thread Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sir_Astral

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:14:46 PM

Miner won't connect to wallet...
merelcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:15:51 PM

Miner won't connect to wallet...
i'll look into that next time i edit the sourcecode... Poolmining  and in-wallet mining (setgenerate true) should work fine tough Smiley

thanks for the bugreport!
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:46:11 PM

I pray that I never have a "sysadmin" as incompetent as this working in my organization. I think maybe it is more an in-house sysadmin, meaning he is only the admin of his and his moms computers.
samspaces
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:48:52 PM

If you are cloning anyway, why Litecoin...
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:53:40 PM

You choose the time and place incorrect to launch an experiment,  If you are doing that you can do with help of  a couple of friends could be better choose. Now I have that mark its how dont approved.

merelcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 05:11:59 PM

I pray that I never have a "sysadmin" as incompetent as this working in my organization. I think maybe it is more an in-house sysadmin, meaning he is only the admin of his and his moms computers.

Lol... Okay, i'm not here to pick a fight... But just one thing: a sysadmin is not the same as a programmer....
I'm an AIX sysadmin, and i can honestly say the servers i controll are running smooth... Sure, my programming skills are not top-notch, but i find this remark insulting nevertheless...
Where, in the few lines i wrote do you jump to the conclusion i'm incompetent in my daytime job? Since you say you hope i'm never going to work in your organisation, i assume you're working for the NSA or something... Is it the fact that i merely cloned a coin, or in the fact you don't see fancy colors in the OP that made you angry at a guy releasing a quick not-for-profit coin???

If you are cloning anyway, why Litecoin...

Basically, because it was the original bitcoin clone... I tought about a POS coin, but in the end, the original idear of litecoin stuck in my head

You choose the time and place incorrect to launch an experiment,  If you are doing that you can do with help of  a couple of friends could be better choose. Now I have that mark its how dont approved.

Sure, you're probably right... The thing is: i tought it would have been a good idear to create a clone that was perfectly honest from the beginning: i will not try to get this coin on an exchange... Since about ALL other coins are just here to make a quick buck, i tought it would be neat to have a coin that you could use for small experimenting or for in-family use... I tought that a not-for-profit coin would keep people with big ASIC's away, and would leave a coin that was usable for the community...

It's up to you to decide if this was a good idear or not, and i respect your personal remarks... Even if i don't totally agree with them
kampretkabur

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 11:36:52 PM

MELER coin?
CryptoLeak

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 01:17:19 AM

Did not see you mention premined 2,000,000 coins ?
Is it for experiment also ?
merelcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 06:11:24 AM

Did not see you mention premined 2,000,000 coins ?
Is it for experiment also ?

I did mentioned i premined for myself in the OP... It's non-profit, so there is no monetary incentive Smiley
Arie22

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 06:24:32 AM

I hope yobit will add this coin.. Grin
merelcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 06:30:50 AM

I hope yobit will add this coin.. Grin

Personally, i hope they don't... It would defeat the purpose of this coin Tongue
merelcoin (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 06:34:08 AM

I got a PM asking my future plans for this coin, so i tought i would add them to the thread...

What IS on my planning:
  • remove the last "bugs" from the sourcecode
  • create a basic website
  • create an android client
  • create an online wallet
  • create a paper wallet generator
  • more or less follow litecoin's development

What is NOT on my planning:
  • getting the coin on an exchange
  • putting effort into promoting/monetizing this coin

The main goal still consists in a low-diff coin that has little or no monetary value, and can be used in-house, in-family or in-company, OR that can be used to educate OR to give new miners the feeling you can still mine some blocks without a big ASIC Smiley
Because it's not in the forseeable future to make any money from this coin, i cannot allocate a lot of my time towards development... Things will move slow, but the coin will be kept alive for a long time (i have an old gridseed laying around, gathering dust... So if the chain would stop moving, i'll put 300k scrypt hashrate towards it to get it moving again myself)

At the moment, more than 13.000 blocks have been mined, and the difficulty is really low: 0.003...
CoinThug

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 07:20:58 AM

Hi all,

Since i'm a sysadmin, i tought it would be funny to have a little coin for in-house usage... So i created MERELcoin.

The purpose of this coin is in-house, in-family, in-company usage OR you can use it to educate yourself, or show others the fundamentals of a blockchain... It is not my intention to get this coin on an exchange, it IS however my intention to make a full-featured package (more below)

Because it's a non-profit litecoin knockoff, i did a nice premine for myself... I think nobody will care as long as there weren't any monetary incentives Wink I basically wanted some coins to give to my kid when she did her chores, and i didn't want to wait untill somebody with an ASIC makes it impossible to mine any coins for myself Wink

It's a pure clone of Litecoin, NOTHING special was added... The maturity time and time between blocks was changed, also: the reward will drop signigicantly after block 10.000....

So, here are the links:

Download the wallets and nodes for windows and linux here:
http://www.merel.mobi/merelcoin/

A pool (first time running a pool... I make no guarantees about the uptime, usability, stability,....):
http://pool.merel.mobi/

A block explorer:
http://explorer.merel.mobi/rpcace.php

The sourcecode:
https://github.com/merelcoin/merelcoin

TODO:
  • Remove the last litecoin icons (the installer still shows the litecoin icon)
  • create a basic website
  • create a paper wallet generator
  • create an android wallet
  • create a mac wallet IF somebody can give me MacOSX10.7.sdk.tar.gz OR compile my code on his mac
  • create an online wallet

ps... I'm only online about 1-2 times/week... so don't panick if i don't keep an eye on this thread Smiley
Thanks for the information. I will have a try
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2015, 03:30:17 PM

RIP
merelcoin (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:38:34 AM

RIP
Well.... I'm still active, the blockchain is still moving,... It's up to you to make your own decission, but i'm going to keep this one moving...

Btw: i'm scripting my own webwallet right now, it'll be finished in about a week... Just like the rest of the coin, it'll be no-frills and basic, but functioning...
wildduck
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 06:12:03 AM

Low diff on this coin, no big miners a will mine a little Smiley
thefix
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 06:24:37 AM

Good luck with the project, I think it will be a great learning experience for you.

czcool

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 05:02:47 PM

RIP
Well.... I'm still active, the blockchain is still moving,... It's up to you to make your own decission, but i'm going to keep this one moving...

Btw: i'm scripting my own webwallet right now, it'll be finished in about a week... Just like the rest of the coin, it'll be no-frills and basic, but functioning...
Thank you for providing information on the progress.
merelcoin (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 06:35:49 AM

RIP

Thank you for providing information on the progress.

No problem... I'm planning on finishing all points in my OP, but since it's a non-profit project, it'll take a lot of time (i don't have any funds, so i'm doing it all myself, in my spare time)

Good luck with the project, I think it will be a great learning experience for you.

Indeed, it is Smiley I've learned a lot about blockchains by this hands-on experience Smiley

Low diff on this coin, no big miners a will mine a little Smiley

Thank you  Grin. Remember, this coin is not really meanth to go on exchanges... So i wouldn't trow a lot of hashing power towards it Wink
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: