Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:10:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-10-08 scientificamerican.com - 3 Years in, Bitcoin Digital Money Gains Mome  (Read 2336 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:54:26 AM

3 Years in, Bitcoin Digital Money Gains Momentum
The digital currency exchange network now includes more than 1,000 merchants and at least tens of thousands of unaffiliated users, as it tries to solve barriers to participation

Morgen Peck
2012-10-08

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=3-years-in-bitcoin-digital-money-gains-momentum

Bitcoin developers are quickly proving that they can design decentralized alternatives to even the most sophisticated financial institutions. But some are building applications that use money in ways that had never before been possible in the digital world.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 12:19:51 PM

That was a very solid article. In depth, high level. Very positive as well.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:51:47 PM

One of the best articles yet, and in Scientific American no less!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:02:39 PM

A great article, very nice!  Grin Who wrote it took time to learn about it!

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 02:18:22 PM

Morgen has been following bitcoin for a while.  I first met her at the NY Bitcoin conference, and she was in London and talking to many people there, doing good research.  She's good.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 06:27:46 PM

Good article but I'm afraid the early part on hashing might get many readers loose appetite as she had to stay so much on the surface that it is actually barely understandable without a background in bitcoins.
(aka /sub. Yes, I know there is the watch feature but for some reason some threads exclusively show up in the list of unread replies. Merge these two lists and I post less Wink )

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:57:56 PM

It was an enjoyable read, nice!
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:36:40 PM

agreed, that was a very nice article! From someone actually knowledgeable on the subject!

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 12:25:46 AM

Anyone else have trouble posting in the comments? I made an account and then posted and it doesn't show. At first I thought delay, but now it's been a while. Guess I'll repost in a bit.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 01:49:33 AM

Amazing: there are 17 comments right now, eight of which are written by "RSchmidt" and are extremely negative and misleading. What a stubborn guy. If you can spare a minute, share your own experience in the comments. I suggest not responding to RSchmidt at all, simply provide your perspective on the article and Bitcoin in general.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:56:38 AM

At the end of his speech, Garzik rallied for the currency and asked for patience over the long haul. "'How long did it take to create the euro, implement the euro, widely distribute the currency, widely distribute the cash registers,point-of-sales systems—all of that stuff,"' he asked. "'It took years and years. And so one cannot reasonably expect Bitcoin to be an immediate success in two years."'

Well, it certainly didn't take them very long to trash the euro. I would hope we're setting our sights a little higher.
MichaelBliss

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:31:13 AM

Personally, I was thrilled to see myself ("Vancouver massage therapist") mentioned, even if briefly, they linked to my website too!  I've always loved Scientific American, now even more.  Finally some positive feedback regarding accepting bitcoin!  I was getting used to the confused faces and funny looks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: