Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:10:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 VS Windows 10  (Read 8810 times)
sgreddin (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:34:02 PM

(not sure how to do a poll)

So what do you guys think? I'm hearing a lot of hype that windows 10 blows windows 7 out of the park. i have missed out windows 8 because that was probably the worst OS released by microsoft since 98
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 12:35:09 PM

stay with win7. with win 10 you are a beta tester.

"never change a running system"

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:37:09 PM

Windows 7 is the best choice for now imho.

Win 7 is like the new version of xp given most users are on that os.

Windows 10 has a whole slew of privacy issues. Not suitable for using Bitcoin or other crypto coins.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:40:36 PM

If you want to stay with Windows 7 then it is ok,

You can try to install Windows 8.1 it is still good and is similar to Window 10
destroman5

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:47:42 PM

Windows 10 looks like a windows 7 and windows 8.1 hybrid using both good points from the two of them. I would say stick with windows 7 due to windows 10 having some issues with privacy like mentioned
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 01:04:58 PM

Windows 10 looks like a windows 7 and windows 8.1 hybrid using both good points from the two of them. I would say stick with windows 7 due to windows 10 having some issues with privacy like mentioned

Windows 7 and Windows 10 are mostly completely different, Windows 10 has it own store. I run it in virtual machine but seems that some function are buggy and sometimes doesn't work.
Terwa

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 03:44:31 PM

windows 10 without spy software
Teka

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 07:17:47 PM

Problem is that the privacy issues are now being ported to Windows 7 and 8.

chronosylvur

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 07:22:39 PM

What are the privacy issues with Windows 10 that you are all talking about? im not aware of this
Questor

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 07:30:41 PM

My biggest problem with upgrading our licenses on Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 is that while 10 is technically "free" right now, they will move it to a service-based subscription eventually, which means an additional annual charge.

This fee will likely be in the hundred dollars per year range, so plotting that out, some have had windows XP machines running for 10 years, up to $1000 savings by not switching.   That isn't to say that most users will be able to get away with 10 years on Windows 7, however for every machine we can run Windows 7 on effectively for the next few years that's $100 savings per machine per year.  We have also "upgraded" every machine that came with Windows 8 to Windows 7.  Wink

Disclaimer:  I have been running Windows 10 pre-releases on at least two machines since it became available to the development community.

Minin', my own business.
Stargazer

Activity: 641
Merit: 253

▰▰▰ Global Cryptocurrency Paymen

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 08:55:14 PM

I don't want to update but my laptop with win 8 is constantly trying to download windows 10.
Microsoft now forces people to use their new system which is ridiculous and a bit scary. I can't turn off the updates in win 8 as it locked out somehow once it detected win 10 update is available. I'll probably have to uninstall win 8 and go back to 7 as it for now allows me to skip updates.

Teka

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 09:03:11 PM

I don't want to update but my laptop with win 8 is constantly trying to download windows 10.
Microsoft now forces people to use their new system which is ridiculous and a bit scary. I can't turn off the updates in win 8 as it locked out somehow once it detected win 10 update is available. I'll probably have to uninstall win 8 and go back to 7 as it for now allows me to skip updates.

Yeah its becoming more and more of a problem, they aren't being very honest about what they are doing which I think is the worst part.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 09:05:03 PM

Yes. I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop and it constantly tried downloading Windows 10 after I downgraded. I somehow managed to it off. However, I'm not aware of any controversial stuff being pushed to Windows 7. My main system has it with updates turned on (only notifications). Everything is fine for now.
I'd recommend everyone to downgrade if they upgraded to Windows 10.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Teka

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 09:06:36 PM

Yes. I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop and it constantly tried downloading Windows 10 after I downgraded. I somehow managed to it off. However, I'm not aware of any controversial stuff being pushed to Windows 7. My main system has it with updates turned on (only notifications). Everything is fine for now.
I'd recommend everyone to downgrade if they upgraded to Windows 10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/09/06/windows-10-worst-feature-now-installing-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/ <-- 'telemetry' is basically all their snooping stuff.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2980285/microsoft-windows/dont-check-that-box-windows-7-patch-kb-3083324-sneaks-in.html
seVell

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 09:21:36 PM

Why do smart people still use windows?

I really mean it!

Most people here should know how insecure windows is compared to osx and linux distros.

Sure osx is more expensive but don't you think it's well worth it?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 09:27:36 PM
Last edit: September 06, 2015, 09:53:20 PM by LaudaM

Most people here should know how insecure windows is compared to osx and linux distros.

We are talking about privacy not security. This is different. Linux is great security and privacy wise. However, OSX is on par with Windows when it comes to privacy. If you think that Apple isn't harvesting information think again.

Thank you for the links. I will check them out later.

Update: Corrected the post.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
sinaninkisi

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 09:31:47 PM

i'm using on my computer when windows 10 enable to use. i can say this : windows 10 better than older versions. fast and usable.

mallard

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 09:46:54 PM

Windows has barely changed since XP. They just tinker with the UI and break a few things.

You should look into free (as in freedom) operating systems.
seVell

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 09:49:23 PM

We are talking about privacy not security. This is different. Linux is great security and privacy wise. However, OSX is on par with Windows when it comes to security. If you think that Apple isn't harvesting information think again.

I think you meant privacy there. And I don't think they're on par.

OSX allows full disk encryption and you get to keep the keys if you want.

Is there some sort of leak that proves that apple can see your hd and hand it to authorities?

I'm not an apple fanboy but I have to use windows in my workplace and company computers and I can see the difference.  
OBAViJEST

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 09:51:49 PM

Have these rolled out yet? If not, do you know of a release date?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: