Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:17:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] GLBSE drama  (Read 17799 times)
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:06:19 PM

I can not fkn believe what I am doing... huh.. this is hard... but I have to agree with mircea popescu (or his really awful PR person).

This is truly ugly, when forum moderator/owner looks for a way to dump his worthless shares of GLBSE on someone who trusts him (probably only because he runs the forum?). Sure, find a poor sap who has probably seen Nefarios masterful perfomance in London event. (youtube)  

If the forum owner is a starts to pull scams, no wonder this shit keeps happening in BTC community over and over again.

Theymos, do you have balls to say you are sorry and actually start helping this community to fight the scammers?

What the hell is going on? Are people actually being brain-washed by this?

Short version of what happened:

Nefario wanted to start risky process of regulating GLBSE.
Theymos and others thought it was a bad idea and wanted out & CLEARLY SPECIFIED that it was entirely because of Nefario's decision to get GLBSE regulated.
Things didn't go so well for Nefario when he tried to get the exchange regulated & GLBSE is now offline.

Things could've went the other way, if GLBSE had managed to get properly regulated then the shares would've skyrocketed in value.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 06:07:40 PM

In my book, no one with an orange ignore button gets to suggest a scammer tag for someone else - the community has spoken about how seriously the OP should be taken.

This is not a matter of trying to build a clique. Get your head out of that ass. Things are what they are, this isn't a popularity contest.

Never suggested it was a popularity contest. What the orange ignore button indicates to me is that a lot of people have said "wow this person is full of shit" and that this should probably be my default reaction. If enough people think you're so full of shit that they never want to hear from you again, your button turns orange and you lose a hell of a lot of clout.

Matter of fact, this is exactly the sort of thing someone like you would do that might result in a "wow this person is full of shit" reaction - demanding that the administrator of a forum give himself a scammer tag (which we all know won't happen) based on crazy allegations that no one has any ability to prove at this point.

The real point is, we haven't heard anything from Nefario or any outside agents who are likely to actually know what's going on with GLBSE. We literally have no proof that anything shady is happening right now though there is certainly enough going on to merit suspicion or worry. Scammer tags are for scammers and let's be honest, we don't even know there's a scam yet. Speak to your suspicions all you want, but only proven scammers deserve the tag and it's way too early to start throwing this around.
As a proud owner of an orange ignore button I protest   Grin

The rest is alright.  Cheesy
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:09:45 PM

How is this false?  Was he not really offering the shares for sale?

They were not really his. The simple test to distinguish fraudulent behaviour from innocent behaviour is this: should the situation have been explained correctly rather than as it was explained, would the market position of the proponent have been weaker? In point of fact the silent parties only hid behind theymos because they imagined they will be accruing some benefit from this. So, yes, fraudulent.

He also disclosed his position as Treasurer right in the OP.

No, he merely said that "he does not want to be listed, especially not as treasurer". You might judge this as sufficient, obviously.

Further, the quote you cite does not support your general position. Talk of big businesses buying in and vague privacy concerns does not adequately convey the situation.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:13:50 PM

What is happening is that the few adults around are shocked and appalled at the horror of this, whereas the general clueless population fails to see the problem through lack of exposure to the real world and its workings.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:01:08 PM

What is happening is that the few adults around are shocked and appalled at the horror of this, whereas the general clueless population fails to see the problem through lack of exposure to the real world and its workings.
I'm lol'ing so hard at this thread.

No offense, MPOE-PR, but I think this thread is really stupid.

stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:03:05 PM

On September 24th theymos falsely announced that he was selling a package of 23% of Bitcoin Global stock. At the time the company was solvent and operational. Asking price was ~5k BTC for the entire block, with the caveat new shareholders would have to be approved by current shareholders. Also on September the 24th theymos declared in support of this sale that the SEC is not investigating GLBSE and further that he personally thinks the SEC emails are fake (they are not, have been in fact verified by multiple trusted members of the community, including by calling the signatory at his phone number as published on the SEC website).

On September 25th Nefario,

Did you try to purchase part of GLBSE?

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:06:10 PM

few adults

You can either be the Romanian Moot or you can be an adult. You can't be both.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:08:58 PM

On September 24th theymos falsely announced that he was selling a package of 23% of Bitcoin Global stock. At the time the company was solvent and operational. Asking price was ~5k BTC for the entire block, with the caveat new shareholders would have to be approved by current shareholders. Also on September the 24th theymos declared in support of this sale that the SEC is not investigating GLBSE and further that he personally thinks the SEC emails are fake (they are not, have been in fact verified by multiple trusted members of the community, including by calling the signatory at his phone number as published on the SEC website).

On September 25th Nefario,

Did you try to purchase part of GLBSE?

Not since May.

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 07:33:40 PM

MPOE-PR, just out of curiosity.

What do you expect to archive by this?

Do you think this will be successful and theymos gives himself a scammer tag? --> probably not, you aren't that stupid.

Do you think this will attract new customers to your exchange? --> I fail to see how that should work.

Do you just enjoy trolling have the feeling to be the sole fighter for whatever? --> That's what I would put my money on (not literally).

As from you previous reactions it seems I also have to say this:

I'm not trying to offend you, I just don't understand your motivations.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:07:16 PM

Gotta call it as I see it:

1) I've always appreciated how both Theymos and Mt. Gox have managed this forum.  I've had my complaints, but they could do much much worse and their performance speaks well of them (imo.)

2)  Theymos's attempted sale of the shares (in my limited observation of it) seemed pretty unsightly and even more so as the organization disintegrated not long after.  Scammy?  Very possibly, again in my limited observation.  There was not a snowball's chance in hell that I would have had anything to do with the shares, but if I had bought them I certainly would have felt highly scammed.

Real integrity on the part of any stake-holders would have been to take their lumps and losses on the GLBSE thing.  After all everyone knows that nobody should do anything with Bitcoin that they cannot afford to walk away from, and further, the initial outlay (in money terms) was probably much less then the hoped for sale value.  Also, it should have been clear to any participant that GLBSE (and many Bitcoin related enterprises) are very similar to walking out as far onto the thin ice as possible and probably in part for the sheer thrill of it...which is even more of a reason to take the fall rather than to try to get someone else to do it.

Seems that at least one person entertained some thought of buying the theymos+ stake.  I do believe that consideration of the scammer tag should be taken seriously and discussed seriously, and any participants in the (aborted?) sale should provide their valuable input.  I do hope that consensus (of those honestly weighing things) comes out negative.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:15:24 PM

1) I've always appreciated how both Theymos and Mt. Gox have managed this forum.  I've had my complaints, but they could do much much worse and their performance speaks well of them (imo.)

Possibly OT, but how is Mt. Gox affiliated with forum management?  I was unaware of a connection.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:16:49 PM

1) I've always appreciated how both Theymos and Mt. Gox have managed this forum.  I've had my complaints, but they could do much much worse and their performance speaks well of them (imo.)

Possibly OT, but how is Mt. Gox affiliated with forum management?  I was unaware of a connection.

MT.Gox pays for hosting, I think.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 08:22:44 PM

Possibly OT, but how is Mt. Gox affiliated with forum management?  I was unaware of a connection.

MT.Gox pays for hosting, I think.
MtGox *does* the hosting, in other words, they can read your PMs.

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:44:41 PM

At this point, it would be more far more economical to find someone worth of a "honest dude" tag around here.

That's reassuring. Insider trading is the minimum that can happen then (if they can read, they could even write).
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:53:57 PM

At this point, it would be more far more economical to find someone worth of a "honest dude" tag around here.

That's reassuring. Insider trading is the minimum that can happen then (if they can read, they could even write).

Anyone who thinks an unencrypted private message on a forum is actually private or secure in any way almost deserves to have their messages read and used against them.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:59:58 PM

Gotta call it as I see it:

1) I've always appreciated how both Theymos and Mt. Gox have managed this forum.  I've had my complaints, but they could do much much worse and their performance speaks well of them (imo.)
this

2)  Theymos's attempted sale of the shares (in my limited observation of it) seemed pretty unsightly and even more so as the organization disintegrated not long after.  Scammy?  Very possibly, again in my limited observation.  There was not a snowball's chance in hell that I would have had anything to do with the shares, but if I had bought them I certainly would have felt highly scammed.
[...]
this

but not proven
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:21:49 PM

Theymos and others thought it was a bad idea and wanted out & CLEARLY SPECIFIED that it was entirely because of Nefario's decision to get GLBSE regulated.

Honestly, I do find this a bit "iffy" but I don't think it rises to the level of outright scam.  Whether intentionally or not, theymos created the impression that he was selling his shares in GBLSE for essentially ideological reasons.  While this was true, it wasn't the whole truth.  Some of the shares he was selling belonged to other shareholders and I think that was material information which should have been disclosed as it was a measure of the level of internal disagreement and would likely have influenced people's impression of GBLSE's internal stability.

When Nefario referenced theymos selling his shares because he didn't want his name on official documents, I don't recall him disclosing the fact that it wasn't only theymos who wanted to bail out, either.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:37:44 PM

Nefario wanted to start risky process of regulating GLBSE.

Things could've went the other way, if GLBSE had managed to get properly regulated then the shares would've skyrocketed in value.

If it was regulated banks and others would lobby hard to impose excessively strict and harsh guidelines upon it the same way they lobby to impose excessively strict and harsh guidelines on paypal that makes it a horrible service to use at times.

Banks don't approve of paypal diluting their market share and being a business competitor.

They wouldn't approve of investment competition by GLBSE & would've channeled a lot of time and energy into ruining it.

Regulation doesn't necessarily mean much considering it typically fails to detect the enrons and madoffs of the world.

Who regulates the regulators. 
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 09:41:37 PM

Silly thread is silly  Wink

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
capn noe

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:45:10 PM

I think it is more than hosting, doesn't MtGox OWN this forum?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: