Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:21:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How about creating a Point of Sale device that integrates Bitcoin and cards?  (Read 704 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2015, 05:46:02 PM

Most businesses don't really know much about Bitcoin and don't want to spend the time integrating something they don't believe is worth the time. But what if it was no effort and they don't even have to lift a finger to accept it?

When you start your business you usually order a Point of Sale (PoS) system. Usually companies will give out the equipment for free then have a 1 or 2 year contract where they have to pay a monthly fee to pay it off.

When I started a business I chose a cheaper option, I signed up for an online service that was very cheap and I bought a USB card swiper that I could connect to my computer. This cut the price down a lot, it just required that I have Internet at the business which most places do.

If we could design a PoS machine that runs off of wifi, when they sign up we could sign them up for both the credit card service and a Bitcoin service. The machine could have a small screen that is usually used for credit card transactions but might have a little BTC button on the front that you can press to get a QR code.

We design it and get it out as a cheaper alternative to all of the other options but with the same functionality. No need to even bring up the Bitcoin capabilities. It could just register that business on coinmap.org when they sign up.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alwinlinzee

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 05:20:33 AM

Point of sale device would actually increase the popularity of bitcoin but the security have to be more tightened when it involves buying bitcoin using the POS because of fraud.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 12:20:37 PM

Point of sale device would actually increase the popularity of bitcoin but the security have to be more tightened when it involves buying bitcoin using the POS because of fraud.

Yes, you would need to ensure that someone does not hack the machine to give out their own Bitcoin address instead of that of the business. But such a machine could easily be locked down by a secure password with plenty of crypto access restrictions. Maybe even a dongle that only the owner controls to make any changes.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
melisande

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 05:32:18 PM

Yes, you would need to ensure that someone does not hack the machine to give out their own Bitcoin address instead of that of the business. But such a machine could easily be locked down by a secure password with plenty of crypto access restrictions. Maybe even a dongle that only the owner controls to make any changes.
I am happy to hear that this is happening in the bitcoin world but I am very happy to know that the OP is knowledgeable and experienced about the possibility fraud or hack on the would be POS system.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 08:04:37 PM

Mastercard (and maybe Visa and others) will definitely oppose anything related to a PoS that accepts multiple methods.
They are already incredibly harsh with Bitcoin related businesses.

These things aren't meant to be merged right now, there will be a lot of trouble for merchants. Hopefully in the future though.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 08:07:38 PM

There are some. Even square can use them. The problem is that vendors don't know this. But yes, POS devices that take BTC is huge.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 08:53:41 PM

There are some. Even square can use them. The problem is that vendors don't know this. But yes, POS devices that take BTC is huge.

Could you link me to a page explaining how Bitcoin is used with Square?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:39:14 PM

Could you link me to a page explaining how Bitcoin is used with Square?
I think this will help. I have actually used this when buying lunch in Portland. It was the cash register version that you see in coffee shops everywhere. The one that prompts you to tip some percentage by clicking a button. The only difference was that it presented me with a QR code.

https://corner.squareup.com/2014/03/square-market-accepts-bitcoin.html

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: