Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:15:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a way to make a double spend more expensive?  (Read 1553 times)
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 09:03:42 AM

In POW a double spender must wait until a merchant accepts his initial payment (at 1 confirmation, say), and then outpace the network to produce a longer fork and the cost is linear in the number of blocks.

Is a way to increase this cost somehow, to make it quadratic, or higher order in the number of blocks?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 11:00:47 AM

In POW a double spender must wait until a merchant accepts his initial payment (at 1 confirmation, say), and then outpace the network to produce a longer fork and the cost is linear in the number of blocks.

Is a way to increase this cost somehow, to make it quadratic, or higher order in the number of blocks?

I'm fairly certain this would necessitate difficulty perpetually increasing quadratically (and this would obviously break Bitcoin).  Do you have some idea?
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 11:09:13 AM

Is a way to increase this cost somehow?
No. In current bitcoin consensus.
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 12:37:59 PM

I'm fairly certain this would necessitate difficulty perpetually increasing quadratically (and this would obviously break Bitcoin).  Do you have some idea?

I was thinking along two different lines:

*) having some kind of implicit difficulty instead of the explicit difficulty of solving a chain of blocks we have right now. so the head block has current network difficulty, and the next previous block has double the difficulty... somehow.

*) having a different explicit linkage between blocks, such that the deeper down the chain you get, the more blocks you have re-hash. this probably requires a totally different blockchain structure tho.

tonycamp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 12:41:34 PM

this its very high tech of BTC for me i thoughted that double spend only happened when some company got the more that 50% of the mining of all decentrilization

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>
Delek

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Salí para ver

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2015, 01:05:04 PM

This is why it's recommended to wait for 4 or 5 confirmations for high valued transactions. However, if you sell a coffee with 1 confirmation or even 0 confirmations you are probabilistically ok.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
-> delek.net <-
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 09:14:14 PM

I was thinking along two different lines:

*) having some kind of implicit difficulty instead of the explicit difficulty of solving a chain of blocks we have right now. so the head block has current network difficulty, and the next previous block has double the difficulty... somehow.

*) having a different explicit linkage between blocks, such that the deeper down the chain you get, the more blocks you have re-hash. this probably requires a totally different blockchain structure tho.

I think you ultimately have the problem that no matter how you restructure things, how some parts reference others, and how you weigh everything, it takes a certain amount of work to build the structure.  The attacker would be able to build a competing structure for the same amount of work.  Additionally, the attacker will have an information advantage because the elements of their structure will be built later in time and typically in private.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 01:44:26 AM

The cost isn't really linear.

As Satoshi says, the chances of catching up becoming "vanishingly small", therefore the cost becomes exponentially large.

jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1132

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 05:21:56 AM

As Satoshi says, the chances of catching up becoming "vanishingly small", therefore the cost becomes exponentially large.

It would have to be very expensive coffee for the attacker to do such a thing as they would make a lot more money just by submitting the blocks for the block reward. So in that sense it is quite expensive. and also each block that is mined makes reorging exponentially more expensive as jonald_fyookball states.

The idea of making a double spend more expensive is interesting though. However, since there wont be consensus on all nodes as to whether there even was a double spend (we are talking about the chain reorging here), then I dont see how you can make double spending a specific input require more PoW in a way to achieve global consensus.

Unless...

If there was a separately maintained consensus of all 1 conf transactions (I think it can be proven this cant be done with 0confs), then we would have a global consensus on any attempt to double spend any outputs from this 1 conf list. So theoretically it would be possible to make the weight of any new chain that is attempting to double spend any output from the 1 conf list to be arbitrarily lower.

Just need to maintain a tree of such 1 conf txlists, and each reorg would spawn some sort of alternate 1 conf list. I think it is quite a lot of work, but probably not impossible to do. However, considering this is a hardfork and orders of magnitude more difficult than fixing malleability, it is unlikely that it will ever be done.

James

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 08:31:44 AM

The cost of producing one block is roughly 25 BTC, the cost of producing N blocks is 25xN BTC - that looks linear in the number of blocks to me?
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 09:52:06 AM

The cost of producing one block is roughly 25 BTC, the cost of producing N blocks is 25xN BTC - that looks linear in the number of blocks to me?

Notice that the attacker will be claiming block rewards as he executes this attack.

The rest of the network does not stand still while the attack is executed.  The attacker may begin N blocks behind but it could take much more than N blocks to catch up.  The expected cost is still linear in N but it is not 25*N BTC.

A cost of 25*N BTC does come into play if we're considering an extreme case: a 100% attack.  In this scenario, the attacker rents all the hashing power in the world and sets it to work on his fork.

If the attacker has less hashing power than the rest of the network combined then he is guaranteed to stay behind in the long term and can only hope to get sufficiently lucky in the short term.  This is the situation in which, as N increases, the probability of a successful attack becomes vanishingly small.
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 05:54:30 PM

A cost of 25*N BTC does come into play if we're considering an extreme case: a 100% attack.  In this scenario, the attacker rents all the hashing power in the world and sets it to work on his fork.

Of course - I had forgotten to consider hashing power... so if the attacker has less than 50% hashing power at his disposal, the cost of producing N blocks is exponential in N?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 06:05:18 PM

The cost to keep trying to attack is linear in time (a 25% network hash rate participant gives up 25 BTC every forty minutes), but the probability of success diminishes exponentially with the length of the reorg, so the expected ROI also diminishes exponentially with regard to the length of the reorg.

teukon
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 11:20:07 PM

Of course - I had forgotten to consider hashing power... so if the attacker has less than 50% hashing power at his disposal, the cost of producing N blocks is exponential in N?

If the attacker has less than 50% of the network's total hashing power then the probability that they will eventually catch up from N blocks behind falls exponentially with N.  To find a suitable cost you'd have to specify the attacker's strategy in more detail.  If, for example, the attacker never gives up, then their expected cost would be infinite for all N >= 1.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: