Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:15:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New miner and the new avrage minin power  (Read 670 times)
Backspacehacker (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 04:27:01 PM

Hello, im new to mining and when i heard about it i loved the idea of bitcoins.  What i want to know with the new units comeing out from bfl what do you all think the new avarage amount of mining power is going
To be?  The new little single's output around 30gh for 700 bucks.  So if i was wanting to see profit on this how many of these little singles would i need to buy 3? 

My guess is with the comeing units and power the difficulty of a block will increase combined with the drop in coins per block im guessing that what it costs now to have good rig that shows profit ($30-50 a week) will be the same when the bfl units hit. Do you think this to be true

Tl;dr  when bfl units hit do you think the cost of equipment to profit will change and how much does a avrege set up cost to get about 30 to 50 bucks a week

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 04:43:10 PM

Hello, im new to mining and when i heard about it i loved the idea of bitcoins.  What i want to know with the new units comeing out from bfl what do you all think the new avarage amount of mining power is going
To be?  The new little single's output around 30gh for 700 bucks.  So if i was wanting to see profit on this how many of these little singles would i need to buy 3? 

The number of units doesn't affect the ratio of profit, just the scale. So you could turn a profit with one, but if you bought 3 you would get 3 times the profit (kind of, there is the fixed cost of running the computer).

My guess is with the comeing units and power the difficulty of a block will increase combined with the drop in coins per block im guessing that what it costs now to have good rig that shows profit ($30-50 a week) will be the same when the bfl units hit. Do you think this to be true

Unfortunately, we really can only guess and we have limited data on this that is muddied by bitcoin price volatility and the introduction of FPGA. I think the monthly will be higher than your range for a while, but will eventually go lower.
reyals

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 09:19:47 PM

It will never be profitable in the long run.
Simple economics will dictate that if there is a profit to be made buying these things people will keep buying them until there is no profit in buying them anymore.
At which time the only way to make money will be those with an extra edge... such as dirt cheap electricty or discounted hardware prices.

Now if you get a few of these things early you could proably realize a profit untill the market reachs equilibrium but other than that you're likely to be SOL.
IntrepidMiner

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 01:03:54 AM

Simple economics will dictate that if there is a profit to be made buying these things people will keep buying them until there is no profit in buying them anymore.

I would say this, but with one caveat:

If there is a profit to be made within a reasonable timeframe buying these things, then people will keep buying them.

You could still be that one guy that buys an ASIC and runs it 24/7 for three years (and is lucky enough for better hardware not to come out). You wouldn't make much profit, but you would have an edge over those that chose not to buy because the break-even was over a year.
reyals

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:20:00 AM

I would say this, but with one caveat:

If there is a profit to be made within a reasonable timeframe buying these things, then people will keep buying them.

You could still be that one guy that buys an ASIC and runs it 24/7 for three years (and is lucky enough for better hardware not to come out). You wouldn't make much profit, but you would have an edge over those that chose not to buy because the break-even was over a year.

Fair enough.... but not only is better hardware almost guaranteed given the constant improvements one can make to computers.

But really though if you have so much faith in the future of bitcoin you're willing to buy multi 1000 dollar single purpose hardware with a break even time measured in years....  you're probably just better off buying bitcoins and letting 3 years of mass adoption inspired inflation make you money; which is really the same bet you're making by buying ASIC with a break even time of 3 years, but buying bitcoins will make you a lot more money Wink
josephliton

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 11:58:30 AM

Cancer cannot defeat soul, hope, faith in bitcoins, cannot reduce the spirit.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: