Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:07:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is ROI ?  (Read 638 times)
ammo88 (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:35:30 PM

Yeah, like the topic says: What is ROI ?

I've seen this while reading about different mining hardware and other stuff regarding BTC mining.
Yet I've not found an answer.

TY in advance.
and for the haters, FU in advance!
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:37:08 PM

Return On Investment, basically, a prediction of how long you'll have to mine to recoup the money spent on mining equipment and operating costs.

Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:38:35 PM

in financial terms, it's the rate at which your investment becomes profitized. pyramining, for example, advertised a 10% ROI with zero referrals. so for a 1BTC investment, I would get back 1.1BTC after a certain length of time.

Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:46:39 PM

but back to hardware. So, you buy a couple of Radeon 5850's at $75 each, you buy a 1200W power supply for $150. You get some extra cooling hardware, say another $100. So your investment is $400 in hardware. We'll assume that your electricity is included in your rent. How long will it take you to earn $400 worth of bitcoins based on your chosen mining pattern? are you mining 24/7? 100hrs a week? let's say you are on a mining pool, you're generating say...i dunno..800Mhash. so you're earning around 0.4BTC per a day if you mine 24/7. (conservative). Let's say 0.5BTC a day. that's about $6/day.  at that rate, it'll take you...67 days to recoup your $400 investment. Of course, many things can affect your mining performance, so let's be a little conservative and say 75 days. 2 and a half months. If you have to pay for power, then you have to factor those ongoing costs. Internet costs, etc.

freeAgent

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:50:32 PM

Investopedia is a great resource for this sort of stuff: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/returnoninvestment.asp
ammo88 (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:44:34 PM

Wow thx everyone for answering, now I get it.. ! Smiley

freeAgent thx for the link!
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 4371

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:49:10 PM

ROI is a key concept to wrap your head around, not just for bitcoin but for your whole life.

One big challenge humanity is up against is energy ROI, it is taking a larger and larger fraction of a barrel of oil to deliver a barrel of oil to market.  Another similar challenge is the decline in the marginal utility of debt in a ZIRP environment, lower interest rates are failing to spur growth.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: