Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:13:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confessions of an Internet Shill  (Read 2166 times)
benjamindees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:28:02 AM

I Was a Paid Internet Shill

http://the2012scenario.com/2012/10/i-was-a-paid-internet-shill/

I am writing here to come out of the closet as a paid shill. For a little over six months, I was paid to spread disinformation and argue political points on the Internet.

We sat down at his desk and he began by asking me a few questions about myself and my background, including my political views (which were basically non-existent). Then he began to explain the job. “We work on influencing people’s opinions here,” is how he described it. The company’s clients paid them to post on Internet message boards and popular chartrooms, as well as in gaming forums and social networks like Facebook and MySpace. Who were these clients? “Oh, various people,” he said vaguely. “Sometimes private companies, sometimes political groups.”

We need a "shill" tag.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:49:40 AM

I had an arousing suspicion this was happening.  Figures.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2119

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:29:56 PM

The surprise would have been if it wasn't.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:41:20 PM

Paid shills are a real phenomenon.  They do exist.  I have outted them on a few forums, but the story in that link is bunk.

The posting of "insider confessions" is a literary hobby for some people on the AboveTopSecret forum.  I've seen them from people claiming to be Illuminati family members, ET handlers, and Jesuits.

Be skeptical.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:57:11 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2012, 07:09:55 PM by conspirosphere.tk

This is exactly what I've been plotting: an internet "marketing" agency offering psy-ops swarming, disinfo campaigns, purposeful trolling, social media spamming, e-communities disruption, slander and character destruction etc. for hire.
I've got the name ready: "Internet Trolls Wars". I am sure that there is a huge and largely untapped global market for it (apart from the Hasbarabots who are much ahead in this biz). Anyone interested in partnering? The biggest need is a software platform to check the trolling performance by associates and manage the payments per performance.

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:40:01 PM

That must be the biggest waste of money ever. When have you ever seen anybody change their mind on a web forum?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 07:51:10 PM

abovetopsecret.com
Been there, done that.

I wouldn't take anything serious posted on that site. That is very likely made up on the spot.
Makes for an entertaining read though.
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:12:15 PM

I'm not trying to talk in certainty here, but look at my Dank Bank thread.  What person, completely disinterested in my ventures and spiritual phenomena, spends so much energy as to post multiple times a day, every day about it?  Let alone over a half dozen people.  All while using the same tactics expressed in this article.

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:14:13 PM

I'm not trying to talk in certainty here, but look at my Dank Bank thread.  What person, completely disinterested in my ventures and spiritual phenomena, spends so much energy as to post multiple times a day, every day about it?  Let alone over a half dozen people.  All while using the same tactics expressed in this article.
Dank, you are clearly high.
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:16:55 PM

It's not 4:20 yet. Wink

Seriously though, one who spreads love is a threat to a society built off hate and fear.

emuLOAD

Activity: 328
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:33:21 PM

well, ATS is... a peculiar place... so the story may be true as much as it may be a complete fabrication. Frankly, I'd expect most "shills" to be homebased, for instance, but you never know. This said, it doesn't take an insider's confession to know that there are people on the internet (and, hint, in real life too) who bring fotrh not their, but their master's agendas. Nothing new or shocking, as Richy_T said it would be shocking if nobody was doing this.

Does it really matter? meh.
so many people on the internet would be bored to death without them ^^
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 08:36:52 PM

If you want to learn more about the tactics of internet shill, check out this paste:

http://pastebin.com/irj4Fyd5

For examples, check Atlas' post history.  Accidentally or intentionally, he uses many of the techniques described to derail productive discussions.

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 11:42:46 PM

That's a fairly good example of a shill post too though, it re-directs the discussion from the original topic and onto a controversial poster who attracts heated discussions. That's the trouble with trying to identify shill's, once you start looking for them you see them everywhere (not saying you are one btw, just making an example of how easy it is to slip into paranoia).

Touche.   Smiley

I care less about whether someone is being paid to post or not.  I just wish the quality of these forums could be raised somehow.  It seems like in almost every good thread, there are a small handful of 5-7 posters who start discussing completely unrelated to the topic.  This forum seems very polluted to me.  It's frustrating because there is a lot of great information on here, but in order to get to it, you usually have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant crap.

I think the moderators could drastically improve the quality of these forums by getting more strict about removing irrelevant posts.

</rant>

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 01:42:25 PM

This is exactly what I've been plotting: an internet "marketing" agency offering psy-ops swarming

Too late.  The United States military has already contracted with a California corporation for this software.

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks

"Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

Military's 'sock puppet' software creates fake online identities to spread pro-American propaganda"

This is not new.  Governments have used all available media to manipulate public opinion for thousands of years.  Here is a new book which advances the thesis that Christianity and the New Testament were created by the Roman Flavian emperors to defang Jewish terrorists in occupied Judea: http://caesarsmessiah.com

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:03:18 PM

GernMiester

Activity: 285

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:36:10 AM

Der, No way reviews are the InterWorldWideNet are paid adverts for said company Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Oh wait only as total fucking moron wouldn't know that already.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:42:35 AM

Wait so your not Atlas? I thought all shills were ?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: