Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:59:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: >50% attack  (Read 5276 times)
Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 09:24:46 AM

You are right to say that the software supports backup pools, but I'm not sure how many people have set it up to backup to p2pool if everything else fails.

The reason for me being sceptic about this is because I've seen huge fails securing email servers, not using two step verification, hard-coding keys into the code and the such. I suppose you can understand what/who I'm talking about. If those peeps, who used to handle too many coins (or other values) in a daily basis, were so careless, what to expect from "smaller" bitcoin players? I'm sure there are plenty of miners with backup plans setup and tested and I surely hope they're the majority. It's just I'm not sure about it...

Edit for clarification
I'm not talking about the 51% attack as this is not feasible as it was already noted (DoSing pools for a certain amount of time, would just slow down block generation). Just commenting about how I don't feel that secure that most of the miners do have rock-solid backup plans.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 11:19:11 AM

You are right to say that the software supports backup pools, but I'm not sure how many people have set it up to backup to p2pool if everything else fails.

The reason for me being sceptic about this is because I've seen huge fails securing email servers, not using two step verification, hard-coding keys into the code and the such. I suppose you can understand what/who I'm talking about. If those peeps, who used to handle too many coins (or other values) in a daily basis, were so careless, what to expect from "smaller" bitcoin players? I'm sure there are plenty of miners with backup plans setup and tested and I surely hope they're the majority. It's just I'm not sure about it...

Edit for clarification
I'm not talking about the 51% attack as this is not feasible as it was already noted (DoSing pools for a certain amount of time, would just slow down block generation). Just commenting about how I don't feel that secure that most of the miners do have rock-solid backup plans.

I agree that it is unlikely that the majority of miners have configured backup pools at all. And I question if that is a problem.

Most miners probably monitor their machines regularly and can and will switch to other pools manually within a couple of hours, if the need arises. Taking a risk of a few hours downtime is not that big of a deal for small-time miners. Is it probably not even worth the time to configure backup pools.
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 12:37:23 PM

I consider myself a small-time miner, 4GH/s in total. Ive got my miners setup with 2 backup pools...

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:38:55 AM

I agree that it is unlikely that the majority of miners have configured backup pools at all. And I question if that is a problem.

Most miners probably monitor their machines regularly and can and will switch to other pools manually within a couple of hours, if the need arises. Taking a risk of a few hours downtime is not that big of a deal for small-time miners. Is it probably not even worth the time to configure backup pools.

Ah, I disagree.  First, I would think most miners have some basic technical chops or they (A) wouldn't know about Bitcoin, and (B) never be able to figure out how to set up a mining rig.

I agree that a lot of people probably mine without backups at first, but the first time they notice they've not been mining for a few hours, they'll figure out they can setup backups.  Even small time miners, any downtime is a big deal.  If you're only making 1 BTC a month, every .01 BTC is important. Smiley
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:37:08 AM

Jesus...  I don't have many people ignored on this forum, but subSTRATA immediately made the list.  Perma-mute this guy.

Anyone who attacks the usefulness of proof-of-work as a security mechanism is a friend in my book. I am certain it will fail within my expected lifetime.
I wish the subsidy would drop quicker so we could get it over with.

...mines PPCoin while waiting for something better than PPCoin to come along...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: