Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:54:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to host a bitcoind server?  (Read 4764 times)
zoinky (OP)

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 12:53:12 AM

Anyone have experience running it off a EC2 Server on AWS?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 08:38:58 PM

Anybody? I'm interested in the same.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 10:20:52 PM

Anybody? I'm interested in the same.

YES. It works well. You can use Cloud9 to set up very strict access control as well. It's not as cheap as a VPS, but at least you know you're instance is secure.

more or less retired.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 11:28:49 PM

Just to provide a little bit of perspective, you can run a bitcoind on any server you want but you need to manage the funds on that server according to the risk.

On a cheap ass VPS on a host you don't really trust? Keep it to $20 worth or less of BTC on the server.

Running dedis in your network of hardened bunkers? Increase that to $1000-100000 worth (maybe you have real work to do).

It's easy talk to say, "Don't ever store bitcoins on the server" but to not mention risk management and some sense of stored value vs. difficulty of attack is reckless advice.

Wouldn't it be better to build something and get ripped off once for $20 than to get 10% complete on something that is 100% Secure(tm)*?

* exists only in textbooks and back-of-the-envelope designs
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 11:31:37 PM

If someone's just looking for a place to host it, see my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=146588.0

Please don't host it on some random dude's server, who admits he has no bitcoins, and has no rep, this is recipe for disaster.

I would recommend cold storage solution, only way to keep bitcoins safe.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 12:31:07 AM

If someone's just looking for a place to host it, see my thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=146588.0

Please don't host it on some random dude's server, who admits he has no bitcoins, and has no rep, this is recipe for disaster.

I would recommend cold storage solution, only way to keep bitcoins safe.

Normally I would agree with you, but I couldn't do anything with an encrypted wallet anyway. Besides, how do you earn rep if not someone trusting you without it and you coming through for them?

You could just use your logs and get the password from him or sniff all incoming traffic. It takes time to earn rep, being around, helping and using the forums is how you build rep, just like a credit card, over time we will see your a good guy.
Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 01:05:01 AM

You could just use your logs and get the password from him or sniff all incoming traffic. It takes time to earn rep, being around, helping and using the forums is how you build rep, just like a credit card, over time we will see your a good guy.

Good point, debug SSH logs might show something like that. Oh well, maybe someone can use it for a less... financial purpose.

Maybe you could put it to use hosting a spare electrum server mirror?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:11:02 AM

Good point, debug SSH logs might show something like that. Oh well, maybe someone can use it for a less... financial purpose.

Or he can just host a node on it, and just not the use the wallet, to help protect the network.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:16:36 AM

Or he can just host a node on it, and just not the use the wallet, to help protect the network.

Good ideas, but I'd like to use it to make some bitcoins. I have more electronic storage in particular than I know what to do with, but the server itself could be put to really any purpose, which is why I was hoping I could rent it out cheaply.

Well I hate to be the bad guy, but sadly if someone paid for storage on your server, they be a fool, and yes you could easily trick a newbie into letting you host a site or files for them, but that would be mean. So help the community out so later we can help you out.
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 01:29:00 AM

I'm experimenting with a setup that utilizes two servers, a cheap VPS for the frontend, and dedicated hardware I have physical control of to run bitcoind and the backend.  The backend services can be further segregated using VMs.  The VPS handles all internet traffic, whereas the backend only communicates directly with the VPS with signed messages.  The frontend can verify that messages from the backend are valid, and the backend can maintain its own records to audit the requests sent by the frontend.  If the VPS was compromised, then any malicious requests sent to the backend would raise alarms.

Currently, I'm not handling any coin, so it is a bit overkill, but this kind of design would be extremely beneficial where security matters.

I don't think that SSH logs record passwords, that would be a huge security issue.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 09:46:13 PM

If I don't get any takers, I probably will run an Electrum server or something, though. Thanks for the idea.

Youre welcome Smiley

I just signed up and am officially running the bitcoind on an EC2 server Smiley Its downloading the block chain but taking ages.

Seal
Donator

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 10:25:49 PM

I just signed up and am officially running the bitcoind on an EC2 server Smiley Its downloading the block chain but taking ages.

this is cause you share CPU time and you need CPU to verify the blocks so yea this is going to take a while.

Do you have one running on an EC2 instance gweedo?

It was fast up until the more recent blocks, now its taking ages. Damn satoshidice and all those transactions!

alfa.soft

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 06:06:00 AM

for setup bitcoind for sci you can use any vps , but if you want shared hosting , i suggest you choose :
http://leaseweb.com / Netherlands location
http://godaddy.com  / popular hosting
http://kabuuk.com   / good price
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: