Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:50:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to host a bitcoind server?  (Read 4764 times)
zoinky (OP)

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 04:30:34 AM

Where do most web services host a reliable bitcoind server to handle their traffic?  Such as SatoshiDice.com, BTCDice.com or any other rapid 0 confirmation service?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 05:22:57 AM

Any VPS will do, but the real question is how to secure a bitcoind, that is most important part.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 05:39:09 AM

Any VPS will do

some give only 256mb of RAM which is really dodgy for bitcoind... make sure you get AT LEAST 512.
ehmdjii

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 11:00:09 AM

Any VPS will do
some give only 256mb of RAM which is really dodgy for bitcoind... make sure you get AT LEAST 512.

is that the reason why bitcoinmax.com is down after the login page?

BTC: 1LsD5HpnX1Kfyti7CnHiVB1rjUEXGqmR2H
LTC: LQbpdMZmYyJa9bJG6NweBNxkSTfgZorkrG
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 08:37:06 PM

I host bitcoind on my home PC. Never trust Bitcoin wallet to the hosting company!
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 08:49:29 PM

I host bitcoind on my home PC. Never trust Bitcoin wallet to the hosting company!

That is why you have to read TOS, and privacy policies, but if your power or internet goes down then your service is kinda done.
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 10:13:21 PM

That is why you have to read TOS, and privacy policies
Have you ever seen at least one web hosting company who takes any liability in its terms of service?! Grin
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 10:25:12 PM

I wouldn't trust to host it in a server, unless I owned that physical server.
Very few know how to keep your bitcoin secure on a server, so It's best to keep it separate and off-site from the main server.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 10:31:38 PM

That is why you have to read TOS, and privacy policies
Have you ever seen at least one web hosting company who takes any liability in its terms of service?! Grin

Liability has nothing to do with this, but if you look at the TOS and privacy policy most web hosting companies can't access your server with out your permission or they need to have a cause to look at the files on it. Also I would never host a hot wallet, from a home network, this just opens you up hackers, where they can get at more of your bitcoins.
SätöshiTable

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 10:32:51 PM

if you have a nice home-connection you could do this:

have your bitcoind on a local machine in your house behind router/firewall and connect it via TOR network TOR HIDDEN SERVICE

then you can install TOR on your web-server and from your web-app you can connect to your homeserver.

this needs the web-app to be able to cope with connection errors... having a list of pre-generated receive-addresses ...

you get the deal...
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 10:35:07 PM

Very few know how to keep your bitcoin secure on a server, so It's best to keep it separate and off-site from the main server.

It just takes some research and securing bitcoind is pretty easy, if you know linux. It is best to have a front end machine that does all the web stuff, and bitcoind on it's own vps.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 03:05:27 AM

Pretty much all the major hacks involved some idiot running bitcoind on a server they did not have physical custody of.

The linode employee who uses their admin interface to steal $80,000 or $250,000 bucks worth of bitcoins doesn't seem to give two shits for any "we will not steal your data" policies their employer might have in their terms of service. There is not really much if any evidence they would give any more or less shits about $80 worth or even $8 worth. (Thought they might lurk watching the small ones, watching for the right moment to catch the wallet at a peak of its value...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 03:11:35 AM

Pretty much all the major hacks involved some idiot running bitcoind on a server they did not have physical custody of.

The linode employee who uses their admin interface to steal $80,000 or $250,000 bucks worth of bitcoins doesn't seem to give two shits for any "we will not steal your data" policies their employer might have in their terms of service. There is not really much if any evidence they would give any more or less shits about $80 worth or even $8 worth. (Thought they might lurk watching the small ones, watching for the right moment to catch the wallet at a peak of its value...)

-MarkM-

you do realize in the linode hacks the wallet wasn't encrypted either js
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 03:35:53 AM

Are you suggesting the term idiot was too mild a term?

Or that root does not have access to userspace RAM?

Or both?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 01:13:27 PM

It just takes some research and securing bitcoind is pretty easy, if you know linux. It is best to have a front end machine that does all the web stuff, and bitcoind on it's own vps.

Yes, that is all it takes, yet it still happens a lot where the worst still happens.

moni3z

Activity: 899

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:59:17 PM

Buy a cheap used rack server that is compatible with BSD/Linux and buy cohosting somewhere local where you can get access to your server and back it up encrypted on a regular basis. Where I live it's $40/mth and it sits behind an OpenBSD pfSense firewall with carp. There's also local console access to think about if you don't trust the cohost, plenty of IDS to set up, SElinux MAC, ssh keys ect.

I also like the Tor idea though I imagine that must be crazy slow, could see applications timing out before they reach bitcoind. I'll have to test that
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:30:10 PM

Use blockchain.info's rpc service? http://blockchain.info/api/json_rpc_api

sippsnapp

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:40:10 PM

A vserver should be enough to host bitcoind.
If there is a lack of technical knowledge maybe managed hosting is an option.

As bitcoind is not very bandwidth intense its maybe an option to host it at home on a dedicated machine.

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm
zoinky (OP)

Activity: 811

Web Developer

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:37:55 AM

Use blockchain.info's rpc service? http://blockchain.info/api/json_rpc_api
I get nothing but errors using that with PHP.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 02:33:45 AM

Maybe give BitVPS a try.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: