Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:19:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer u3 on a Mac  (Read 1243 times)
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 11:18:12 PM

Hey has anyone managed to get an Antminer U3 running at full speed on a Mac? If so, how?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:27:13 PM

When I was running my U3 on slush's pool I ran into some problems.
I stumbled across this..?
http://macminer.fabulouspanda.com/forum/discussion/892/antminer-u3-settings
I don't think macs are really worthy of mining, just get a cheap-shite laptop and you will be set for all your devices, macs aren't really great at mining...
Or anything that isn't apple-made.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 03:21:50 PM

I don't think macs are really worthy of mining, just get a cheap-shite laptop and you will be set for all your devices, macs aren't really great at mining...

Thank you - Yeah, I've tried all that. I was just hoping someone would have a work around.
Truth is I'm just doing this for fun (this time and for now), the U3 is a great toy to have sitting in front of my computer screen, so I don't want to go all-in, I just want it plugged into my computer, which happens to be a mac.
Maybe I'll pull out my old raspberry pi and see if that thing still works.
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 04:45:44 PM

Thank you - Yeah, I've tried all that. I was just hoping someone would have a work around.
Truth is I'm just doing this for fun (this time and for now), the U3 is a great toy to have sitting in front of my computer screen, so I don't want to go all-in, I just want it plugged into my computer, which happens to be a mac.
Maybe I'll pull out my old raspberry pi and see if that thing still works.

Good luck on ya!

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 06:19:24 AM

Well after extensive research I could not figure out how to get the U3 to work at full speed on the Mac.
I ended up getting a Intel Compute Stick thing (I think it's what it's called!) and yeah, say goodbye to EVER getting ROI for this little U3 toy! Eh - I'm just running it for fun so who cares.

What I cannot wrap my brain around is why anyone would select Windows as their preferred software for anything Bitcoin. The risks of virus' or hacks are just not rational.

bitsolutions

Activity: 261
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 01:43:34 AM

Well after extensive research I could not figure out how to get the U3 to work at full speed on the Mac.
I ended up getting a Intel Compute Stick thing (I think it's what it's called!) and yeah, say goodbye to EVER getting ROI for this little U3 toy! Eh - I'm just running it for fun so who cares.

What I cannot wrap my brain around is why anyone would select Windows as their preferred software for anything Bitcoin. The risks of virus' or hacks are just not rational.

You could just use cgminer for mac. Just follow "Basic *nix build instructions:" it works for me.

Mining Software Developer.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:50:23 AM

I might suggest giving a look at an RPI.   You can get a lot for your money on this.

Linux is not that bad after you get the hang of it.   That stick just seems kinda high compared to an RPI.  If you do it with the stick please document it as I don't think we have seen it.
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 06:01:48 PM

I might suggest giving a look at an RPI.   You can get a lot for your money on this.

Linux is not that bad after you get the hang of it.   That stick just seems kinda high compared to an RPI.  If you do it with the stick please document it as I don't think we have seen it.

I've done RPI in the past, but it seems that Minepeon is no longer updated.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 07:30:40 PM

You can use CGminer on raspbian (the default os) on RPI.  It actually is a pretty nice setup.

There is also now minera that some run that is a nice GUI.  Some prefer it.
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:35:27 PM

You can use CGminer on raspbian (the default os) on RPI.  It actually is a pretty nice setup.

There is also now minera that some run that is a nice GUI.  Some prefer it.

Ok thanks, I'll check it out! I'll also try cgminer on mac, thanks bitsolutions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: