Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:29:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Banks keep shutting down your exchange? - lessons from a Ponzi scheme  (Read 980 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 06:15:29 PM

I've been investigating a ponzi scheme that was run through ordinary bank accounts.

One thing that surprised us was how the various banks they used didn't investigate the large payments coming in&out of the perpetrators accounts. Further, the FSA failed to act for a long time.

Compare this to Intersango. They've gone through a ton of banks, each time the bank investigating for fraud or money laundering and each time the bank isn't allow to even tell the customer why things aren't working properly.

What can we conclude?

If you have a minimum transaction of £1000 and less than 2 payments per month from the same depositor you'd be acting in the same way as this guy was and there might be less problems.
 I don't know the frequency of transactions and size of deposits for the various exchanges but I expect there are plenty of people doing £50 at a time and then adding a bit more as they feel confidence. That might be the sort of thing that triggers the automatic fraud detectors.

The other thing about the Ponzi was that being a Ponzi people tended to pay in but not take their money out. That also could be another factor in difference between the way that I have seen fraud detection work. Some people did take cash out from time to time but that volume would have been lower.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 07:29:30 PM

Thanks for the lesson on how to run a ponzi undetectederer. I'm off to the lending forums.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:37:53 AM

Banks aren't required to have in place mechanisms for detecting ponzi schemes.  Their fraud detection algorithms are designed to detect people trying to defraud the bank or fraudulently using the accounts of their customers.  While their anti-fraud measures may uncover people defrauding the public if the transaction patterns of the account resemble those of money laundering, terrorism financing or other designated financial crimes, such a discovery would be incidental.

That might be the sort of thing that triggers the automatic fraud detectors.

The transaction patterns of the exchanges are much more likely to be flagged by the bank as possible money-laundering activity than possible fraud.  The exchanges themselves have algorithms meant to detect possible fraudulent activity.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: