Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:32:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I will answer chemistry questions  (Read 8519 times)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2125

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 08:34:05 PM

I have a question for you - and guess what, its bitcoin related!! Chemistry, I dont know, but you seem like a bit of a lateral thinker so here goes.

I'd like to manufacture a china mug, that like a casacus (can I even spell that!!) coin has a hidden private key inside it. I imagine that there would be a hollow botom in the mug and the key place in the compartment before it was fired. In this way it really is almost impossible to get at the key without obviously breaking the mug, or x-raying it which I assume is beyond a normal persons methods.

One technique is to "print" the key on to thin tungsten foil - such is available at reasonable cost, and this would not melt at the firing temperature of normal pottery. So you could use a stamp and stamp it on for example, you could do this by hand in theory. But this wont work because the process must be 100% error free - the only way you would find out a mistake had been made is when the mug is smashed and the private key does not work, (and you loose your bitcoins!!) so a better way to do this is needed. In practice, I need a way to photographically do this from a printout of the key from a normal printer. Some sort of UV sensative coating that I could contact print from, possibly develop, and then perhaps as a result of the firing or perhaps not would etch the metal so that it could reliably and certainly be read. Or can I glaze or enamel a tungsten foil photographiclly? What about a platinotype on a tungsten base? Too complex, methinks. (And expensive!!) Its got to be pretty certain to work, or capable of being checked for readability before insertion.

In truth I am dead-ended here and would welcome any further ideas from the OP or someone else. I want a bitcoin piggy bank, that truly has to be smashed to release its contents!! How cool would that be?

Here is an option for you. Typically, clays seem to be fired at around cone 6 which is 2232F and low fire glazes are around cone 06 (yes, 6 and 06 are different) which is 1830F. You could make the compartment be open in the clay firing stage and seal it during the glaze firing stage (the glaze melts and seals the parts together). That gives you a wider range of metals to work with (I believe it brings iron and copper within range for example). This may even open up options for printing on the inside of the cavity (though that would still have a risk of breaking the private key upon attempted opening).

mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 10:02:59 AM

Richy_T, thats certainly something to bear in mind. But am still stuck how to (chemically if possible as I do not have a robotic staming machine!) transfer the private key image to the metal.

Any further ideas welcome.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:35:28 PM

Richy_T, thats certainly something to bear in mind. But am still stuck how to (chemically if possible as I do not have a robotic staming machine!) transfer the private key image to the metal.

Any further ideas welcome.

Copper can be etched with ferric chloride. There are other photo-lithography techniques too. If you used firstbits, you might be able to keep the length of the key down. Might be able to fit it on something like this (though I think this wouldn't survive)

Your best bet might be to get your hands on a small engraving machine. Or you could even hand engrave or stamp maybe.

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:41:23 PM

How to Break Bad?
bitcoinbear (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 07:51:35 PM

How to Break Bad?

I think your answer was already discussed farther up in the thread? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117658.msg1263761#msg1263761

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 11:10:24 PM

OK, I still don't see why you would want to do the reverse-water-gas shift reaction when there are plenty of easier ways to go about getting CO.
I'm trying to revolutionize the world, of course (like any self-respecting scientist). And this is the part I'd like to keep secret for a while longer, though I'd say google could probably tell you why if you search around the topic a bit. And my masterplan requires me to generate CO from H2 and CO2; reduction of O2, CO2 or H2O with C is not an option.

what possible use would you have for making carbon monoxide?

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 04:01:51 AM

OK, I still don't see why you would want to do the reverse-water-gas shift reaction when there are plenty of easier ways to go about getting CO.
I'm trying to revolutionize the world, of course (like any self-respecting scientist). And this is the part I'd like to keep secret for a while longer, though I'd say google could probably tell you why if you search around the topic a bit. And my masterplan requires me to generate CO from H2 and CO2; reduction of O2, CO2 or H2O with C is not an option.

He's an Observer?

bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 02:08:05 PM

Hrm, let's see: he is taking CO2 + H2 -> CO + H2O, but he doesn't want to start with C. Trying to do some carbon sequestering of atmospheric CO2?

CO can be added to meat packaging to prevent spoilage.

CO can be used in some chemical reactions as a starting material. (One reaction I run sometimes is hydroformylation, where CO and H2 are added to an alkene to form an aldehyde).

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 03:12:40 PM

Hrm, let's see: he is taking CO2 + H2 -> CO + H2O, but he doesn't want to start with C. Trying to do some carbon sequestering of atmospheric CO2?

CO can be added to meat packaging to prevent spoilage.

CO can be used in some chemical reactions as a starting material. (One reaction I run sometimes is hydroformylation, where CO and H2 are added to an alkene to form an aldehyde).

Ah, thank you... now I understand - he must be working on a cap & trade machine. . .

bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 04:24:53 AM

Bump for any interest.

Anybody taking chemistry classes? Lots of people say chemistry is a really hard subject, maybe I could help?

BitStick

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 01:25:08 PM

As a star collapses, we get heavier and heavier elements being created due to nuclear fusion.

This isn't true, the heavy elements are only created when a star goes novae not collapses.

What size of star is required to implode in order to create the element Unobtanium?

About seven times the mass of our own sun, I can sell you some for bitcoins.
bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 03:47:11 PM

What size of star is required to implode in order to create the element Unobtanium?

You sell massive stars or unobtanium?

BitStick

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2013, 07:27:40 PM

You sell massive stars or unobtanium?

I hope your pulling my leg, have you seen the storage and transportation costs for neutron stars , white dwarfs, etc etc. Of course I'm talking about unobtanium. Its also the rarest type that can be sent by eMail once I receive my bitcoins.
mintymark

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:10:55 AM

So today I actually do have a question for you. I'd like to know roughly what an answer will cost before you delve in.

I take two prescription medications and have done for years, you'll know what they are for but really thats not very interesting.

Its funny I look quite carefully at where my bread is made and what is in it, my milk, and all my food, but this that I take every day, day in, day out I have no idea what it is made from or how.

I dont have a choice of course, but, if it is in fact made by enviromentally dubious processes or in a way that impacts the health of the makers I'd like to know. Is it made from crude oil or from air or plants or what ?

I've googled but not found much. The second drug is made in many places in the world, the first is a bit more unusual.

The first drug's chemical name is 3-ethyl-3-methylpyrrolidine-2,5-dione
The second's name is sodium 2-propylpentanoate

So my question is this. What is the raw material, and where does that come from? And how, roughly are these chemicals produced. I am not interested in how they are put into capsules or anything like that, since that would be the same for any medicine.

bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:22:24 PM

So today I actually do have a question for you. I'd like to know roughly what an answer will cost before you delve in.

I dont have a choice of course, but, if it is in fact made by enviromentally dubious processes or in a way that impacts the health of the makers I'd like to know. Is it made from crude oil or from air or plants or what ?

I've googled but not found much. The second drug is made in many places in the world, the first is a bit more unusual.

So my question is this. What is the raw material, and where does that come from? And how, roughly are these chemicals produced. I am not interested in how they are put into capsules or anything like that, since that would be the same for any medicine.

Sodium 2-propylpentanoate is just a rather simple aliphatic organic acid.

3-ethyl-3-methylpyrrolidine-2,5-dione is also known as Ethosuximide.

Quote from: wikipedia
Ethosuximide, 3-ethyl-3-methypyrrolidine-2,5-dione is synthesized from methylethylketone and cyanoacetic ester, which undergo a Knoevenagel condensation. Then hydrogen cyanide is added. After acidic hydrolysis and decarboxylation of the synthesized dinitrile, 2-methyl-2-ethylsuccinic acid is formed. Reacting this product with ammonia gives the diammonium salt, and heterocyclization into ethosuximide takes place during subsequent heating.

The synthesis uses several chemicals which are rather nasty, such as hydrogen cyanide and ammonia, but with proper care and safety precautions they can be handled on large scales with little risk.

Both of your chemicals of interest are derived from petrochemicals currently. I would not say they are any more environmentally unfriendly than all the other plastics and such which people use all the time and are also derived from petrochemicals.

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:22:52 PM

Do you have experience with the preparation of samples for ESI mass spectrometry?

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:36:59 PM

Do you have experience with the preparation of samples for ESI mass spectrometry?

No, but I do frequently run samples for mass spectrometry. Just your everyday GC-MS and LC-MS with electron ionization, nothing fancy.

mintymark

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 12:13:57 AM

Sodium 2-propylpentanoate is just a rather simple aliphatic organic acid.

3-ethyl-3-methylpyrrolidine-2,5-dione is also known as Ethosuximide.

Ethosuximide, 3-ethyl-3-methypyrrolidine-2,5-dione is synthesized from methylethylketone and cyanoacetic ester, which undergo a Knoevenagel condensation. Then hydrogen cyanide is added. After acidic hydrolysis and decarboxylation of the synthesized dinitrile, 2-methyl-2-ethylsuccinic acid is formed. Reacting this product with ammonia gives the diammonium salt, and heterocyclization into ethosuximide takes place during subsequent heating.

The synthesis uses several chemicals which are rather nasty, such as hydrogen cyanide and ammonia, but with proper care and safety precautions they can be handled on large scales with little risk.

Both of your chemicals of interest are derived from petrochemicals currently. I would not say they are any more environmentally unfriendly than all the other plastics and such which people use all the time and are also derived from petrochemicals.

Thank you, tip sent ;-)

So how do they ensure that there is no hydrogen cyanide in what I take ? Huh?

How is the Sodium 2-propylpentanoate made ?

ironcross360

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 12:26:52 AM

How do you make Am241 more powerful? Enough to give cancer

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
bitcoinbear (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 05:14:51 AM

Thank you, tip sent ;-)

So how do they ensure that there is no hydrogen cyanide in what I take ? Huh?

How is the Sodium 2-propylpentanoate made ?

Tip received, thank you ;-)

During and after the synthesis, they will perform one or more separation steps which will remove any unreacted hydrogen cyanide. This may be by doing for example crystalization/filtration, column chromatography, distillation, extraction, etc. After the synthesis the product will be analyzed for purity using analytical techniques such as gas chromatography, atomic adsorption spectrometry, mass spectrometry, UV-vis spectrometry, etc.

Sodium 2-propylpentanoate is made by taking the sodium salt of 2-propylpentanoic acid, also know as valproic acid.
Valproic acid, 2-propylvaleric acid, is synthesized by the alkylation of cyanoacetic ester with two moles of propylbromide, to give dipropylcyanoacetic ester. Hydrolysis and decarboxylation of the carboethoxy group gives dipropylacetonitrile, which is hydrolyzed into valproic acid.

The starting materials, cyanoacetic ester and propylbromide are both derived from petrochemicals. This reaction sequence is actually pretty efficient. Note that while cyanoacetic ester has 'cyano' in its name and is structurally reminiscent of cyanide (they both have a carbon triple bonded to a nitrogen) the chemical reactivity is completely different and it is not nearly so toxic.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: