Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:16:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver vs BTC  (Read 2441 times)
bitwatch (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:32:18 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2011, 09:49:18 PM by bitwatch

Potential gains BTC vs Silver...

(IMO Silver is the better choice out of the precious metals because of its price, dual usage as a PM and industrial, and lastly growth potential compared to palladium, gold, platinum).

Which is the better speculative and which is the better investment?  Silver vs  BTC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinfrenzy

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 09:41:45 PM

(IMO Silver is the better choice out of the precious metals because of its price, dual usage as a PM and industrial, and lastly growth potential compared to gold, platinum).

Which is the better speculative and which is the better investment?  Silver vs  BTC?

Historical returns for commodities are terrible.  Especially if you buy at an historically high price like Silver is at now.  Just look at a chart for the last silver bubble in 1980 and you will see what is likely in store going forward.  The volume on the most recent selloff was enormous, smart money has left this trade.  I would suggest staying far away from silver, as it is likely to fall to mid-20's/mid-teens.  I know many silver bugs disagree, but there are two sides to every trade, make sure you fully understand the short silver rationale before you go long.  Silver may or may not bounce up a little more to 40/42 spot, but will likely fall very hard at some point in the near future. 

As for Bitcoins, right now they are a great speculative pick, could easily go up a lot more, but just as easily could crash, very hard, so don't put any money in Bitcoins you wouldn't be fine losing 100% of. 
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:45:49 PM

I am was always inrerested, why in topics like that, palladium was never mentioned.

bitwatch (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:50:25 PM

Right, thank you Tovarisch.  Palladium has been edited into the PM.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:36:08 PM

(IMO Silver is the better choice out of the precious metals because of its price, dual usage as a PM and industrial, and lastly growth potential compared to palladium, gold, platinum).

i know i sound like a broken record around here but i just sold several bags of junk silver over the last month near/at the top in exchange for btc.  bought them in 2005 too.  btc has much better appreciation potential.  in fact, the ultimate voice of the silver bull, Max Keiser, is turning toward btc.  see the jon matonis interview.
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:48:25 PM

Cypherdoc- you are overexcited - beware of that filling - its dangerous.

bitwatch (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:56:28 PM

You bought "junk" silver in 2005 then sold it at beginning of May and rolled it over into BTC witin the last 4 weeks?  Who are you reading/following? Martin Armstrong?  Pass me some of that mojo hombre.
fonestar

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:33:53 PM

I am just starting to mine Bitcoins.  I will never sell my physical silver though, unless it was an absoloute emergency.

I don't care what any tech neophytes have to say (I'm a Cisco guy myself), virtual currencies will NEVER replace the exchange of physical medium.  The reasons for this should be quite apparent to all.  Your 3G network can be overwhelmed and shut down.  Your satellite can be shot down.  Your SSB-AM radio signal can be jammed.  Your Blackberry can be dropped in a puddle.  Your Visa and Mastercard can be seized.  Your website can be censored by Google and Yahoo.  Your domain can be seized.

How are you going to stop me from passing a coin to someone?  It really is that simple.
Current-C

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 12:25:49 AM

Which is the better speculative and which is the better investment?  Silver vs  BTC?

Silver and Bitcoins have their own advantages and disadvantages.  Bitcoins probably have more upside potential but certainly more risk, while silver has less (though still significant) upside with thousands of years of monetary history.  The true value of either is in their ability to retain purchasing power that is not subject to the whims of politicians and central bankers.  In my humble opinion it is wise to have both in your portfolio, as they compliment each other nicely. 
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 01:44:54 AM

I'm a commodities trader. I have both purchased and sold. I am not a Gold or Silver bug but I do own some of both. I can tell you that there is NO one looking at investing in stocks, bonds, or real estate right now. That only really leaves Bitcoin and commodities. And it's gonna get a LOT worse if QE3 doesn't happen, the jobs numbers today just killed any interest people had in stocks. I'm looking at buying AMD options since they are almost certainly gonna post a gain this year.

Believe me when I say I have no doubt in my mind that silver will hit $100 before our next president is elected.
bitwatch (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 01:57:08 AM

According to James G. Rickards http://www.omnisinc.com/directors.php  obfuscation is a skill set long practiced by the Fed.  QE2 has ended. OK, so what?...But QE3 need NOT be officially announced to begin since there is so much funny money credit out there now from previous monetizations attempts that it is in a perpetual QE momentum cycle.  So,  QE3, QE4, QE5, are already guaranteed.  INFLATION express.

Question, does this equal a continued BTC inflation express?
Bazil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:00:36 AM

And it's gonna get a LOT worse if QE3 doesn't happen

You like it when the government throws your purchasing power in the trash?

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
lonestranger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:01:24 AM

Answer, yes.  One of the most compelling aspects of bitcoin is that it appeals to the dark, smoldering fury the educated and aware person feels when he sees the banking class hurt his relatives, children, and friends. It's not funny and bitcoin gives the good people of this world a chance to fight back.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:14:04 AM

Answer, yes.  One of the most compelling aspects of bitcoin is that it appeals to the dark, smoldering fury the educated and aware person feels when he sees the banking class hurt his relatives, children, and friends. It's not funny and bitcoin gives the good people of this world a chance to fight back.

having 3 young boys, my sentiments exactly.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:16:39 AM

I'm a commodities trader. I have both purchased and sold. I am not a Gold or Silver bug but I do own some of both. I can tell you that there is NO one looking at investing in stocks, bonds, or real estate right now. That only really leaves Bitcoin and commodities. And it's gonna get a LOT worse if QE3 doesn't happen, the jobs numbers today just killed any interest people had in stocks. I'm looking at buying AMD options since they are almost certainly gonna post a gain this year.

Believe me when I say I have no doubt in my mind that silver will hit $100 before our next president is elected.

Raize,  i've kept 1 bag of silver and all my gold bullion and probably won't ever sell those.  but i do worry greatly about parabolas and we can agree to disagree about silver.  i think that parabola is busted.  sentiment levels were like 99% at the top and usually that means only one subsequent direction, the opposite one.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:34:43 AM

Gold only has value because the Annunaki made us farm it for them eons ago, and as a race we've just never let it go.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
skysurfer808

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:41:44 AM

Silver and Bitcoins have their own advantages and disadvantages.  Bitcoins probably have more upside potential but certainly more risk, while silver has less (though still significant) upside with thousands of years of monetary history.  The true value of either is in their ability to retain purchasing power that is not subject to the whims of politicians and central bankers.  In my humble opinion it is wise to have both in your portfolio, as they compliment each other nicely. 

I have to agree and after this evening I am fortunate enough to possess both.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.  One represents the past, the other the possible future.  At any rate looking at historic trends one can see that the USD is dying and alternatives are crucial.  My hope is the US powers that be decide to allow Bitcoin to function as a hedge to the collapse of fiat.  A more likely scenario is the adaptation of "Patriot" money as spoken about in that post.

Skysurfer808
bitwatch (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:11:06 AM

Well,  wondering out loud... Silver might have short termed bottom yesterday.
soades

Activity: 57

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:15:58 AM

whatever crashes, silver will still be physical, and will always have real value. Bitcoin, for short term, seems is going to be a great investment.
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:16:09 AM

Well,  wondering out loud... Silver might have short termed bottom yesterday.

bitwatch, I would tend to agree, next 2 days are critical. a big down day will ruin this price support. Late june is the worst time for silver.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: