Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:59:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Heaven is real, says neurosurgeon who claims to have visited the afterlife  (Read 4684 times)
dissipate (OP)

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:40:58 PM

Dr. Eben Alexander has taught at Harvard Medical School and has earned a strong reputation as a neurosurgeon. And while Alexander says he's long called himself a Christian, he never held deeply religious beliefs or a pronounced faith in the afterlife. But after a week in a coma during the fall of 2008, during which his neocortex ceased to function, Alexander claims he experienced a life-changing visit to the afterlife, specifically heaven.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/heaven-real-says-neurosurgeon-claims-visited-afterlife-213527063.html

Hmm, not sure what to make of this. Did this guy really experience the afterlife or did he just wake up from a coma and decide that he was going to make money off a book and get publicity?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:55:56 PM

relevant - http://www.venganza.org/

bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:22:43 AM

"According to current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent,"

ftfy:
"According to my current medical understanding of the brain and mind, there is absolutely no way that I could have experienced even a dim and limited consciousness during my time in the coma, much less the hyper-vivid and completely coherent odyssey I underwent,"

This guys understanding is pretty limited. He probably experienced the whole thing in the minutes and seconds either entering or leaving the coma, while he was being rebooted.

That said these are probably good things to say to a dying/comatose person:
"You are loved and cherished, dearly, forever."

"You have nothing to fear."

"There is nothing you can do wrong."
quasarbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:25:37 AM

Could be for publicity.

Some people claim the consistency of features between these 'afterlife' experiences is too similar to be coincidental. I think that people are often quick to invoke religion..

I will not be reading the book, so I should not comment further other than saying I am not willing to voluntarily undergo an induced coma to potentially have an experience that I can judge for myself.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:59:10 AM

Religion ≠ spirituality.

Life is eternal, you only change forms after death, back to your original state as a soul.

Death is the rebirth of your spirit, it's a beautiful thing.  Though you may never physically see a passed one, in this reality, again, a bond remains between your soul and those who are close to you, after death.

When my Grandma passed away, my cousin, very young at the time (5-7?) picked up the phone, a few days later, and told her Mom that Grandma had called her.  Spiritual happenings are often experiences by kids, as they are young and much closer to the pure, conscious state of mind.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:08:39 AM

Ah the wisdom of people who don't know anything. One time while very young I was on a camping trip and older kids tricked me into thinking a map to treasure they made was real. I refused to accept I was wrong even after they showed me how to make one. Now that I am older I realize I was right to think that the map they made randomly was actually leading to treasure, it was just a different kind of treasure.
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:52:14 PM

his brain shut down and probably flooded his system with endorphins, dopamine, seratonin, and other hormones. He hallucinated in a similar fashion as when a heavy pscychadelic ( like dmt) is taken.
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:12:10 PM

Are you suggesting hallucinations are not real?

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:03:05 PM

Hallucinations, by definition, aren't real. What he experiances was akin to a drug trip.
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:09:49 PM

Are you saying this from experience or only by definition?  If I told you I meditated and left my body, would you tell me what I experienced wasn't real, even if I said it was?

NestEggNessy

Activity: 94

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:20:16 PM

Dank is making a good point. This guy might not of seen heaven in terms of my heaven or your heaven, but he probably saw a "hallucination" of what his heaven is as a defense mechanism to keep his ego intact during such a life or death situation. Although what he saw might not be "real" it is still real because it was real to him and him alone.

Send tips/spare change/payment for crazy videos over here 1FCFaPA6XESaQnJNVYYy458HLa44N3Lxth
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:20:43 PM

Are you saying this from experience or only by definition?  If I told you I meditated and left my body, would you tell me what I experienced wasn't real, even if I said it was?

Yes.  It is by definition, not real.

"Hallucinations involve sensing things while awake that appear to be real, but instead have been created by the mind."

You either have to accept that it was a hallucination, or decide that it wasn't a hallucination and was in fact real.

There is no such thing as a 'real hallucination'.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 05:20:55 PM

Those experiences were interpreted as memories during a time where the brain was inactive. This interpretation probably happened during recovery.
So in a sense those experiences didn't actually happen, he just remembers them.
NestEggNessy

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:24:18 PM

Are you saying this from experience or only by definition?  If I told you I meditated and left my body, would you tell me what I experienced wasn't real, even if I said it was?

"Hallucinations involve sensing things while awake that appear to be real, but instead have been created by the mind."

You either have to accept that it was a hallucination, or decide that it wasn't a hallucination and was in fact real.

Do you accept that experience of the hallucination was real?

Send tips/spare change/payment for crazy videos over here 1FCFaPA6XESaQnJNVYYy458HLa44N3Lxth
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:26:12 PM

The experience was really created by the mind.  It existed.

It was not real.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:27:00 PM

Dr. Alexander's experience is consistent with similar visions of the afterlife.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 05:30:09 PM

If god is all-knowing then how do he make an error in enabling certain people a 'preview' of the afterlife?
Shouldn't he know beforehand if a comatose patient would wake up or not?
NestEggNessy

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:30:23 PM

The experience was really created by the mind.  It existed.

It was not real.

So then youre saying something can exist without being real. With that logic we could infer that heaven exists through his "hallucination" of it. If we want to go down that route then we can say that every experience is created by the mind and therfore all experiences exist but are not real, i.e music, relationships, movies, conversations etc...

dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:33:10 PM

Everything we see is created by our mind, through different frequencies such as light waves and sound waves.  Our reality is one of infinite.

Mucus, don't think of god in terms of human attributions man gave to describe it, think on a more cosmic scale.

That is accurate, NestEgg.  Life is a illusory reality.

Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:37:27 PM

If god is all-knowing then how do he make an error in enabling certain people a 'preview' of the afterlife?
Shouldn't he know beforehand if a comatose patient would wake up or not?
I know very little about the Christian idea of god. I wouldn't consider it valid for a second.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: