Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:45:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Heaven is real, says neurosurgeon who claims to have visited the afterlife  (Read 4684 times)
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:42:34 PM

Additionally, one could only guess the intentions of the intelligence that is the purported origin on the known universe. I would very much doubt it would consider this a mistake.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 06:43:01 PM

Dr. Alexander's experience is consistent with similar visions of the afterlife.

If god is all-knowing then how do he make an error in enabling certain people a 'preview' of the afterlife?
Shouldn't he know beforehand if a comatose patient would wake up or not?
I know very little about the Christian idea of god. I wouldn't consider it valid for a second.

Alright, what I am aiming at was more like: Why should memories spawned from certain medical conditions correspond to the afterlife?
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:49:09 PM

I was talking with plane pilots and they told me there is no man with white beard sitting on clouds and watching over us. They told that it would be aviation hazard. And also there is no garden up there, the thin atmosphere and cold would not allow for subtropical ecosystem to exist. The religion and books are completely wrong with this afterlife bullshit.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:50:34 PM

If god is all-knowing then how do he make an error in enabling certain people a 'preview' of the afterlife?
I know very little about the Christian idea of god. I wouldn't consider it valid for a second.

Alright, what I am aiming at was more like: Why should memories spawned from certain medical conditions correspond to the afterlife?
The man was in a coma. These kinds of visions almost always occur in clinical death and coma scenarios.

It's not a question of why corresponding with various medical conditions answering "does it really happen?" but a matter of the fact that this thing does commonly happen with one specific type of condition: Near-death and lack of consciousness.

As for why these kinds of Near-death experience happens is nearly unanswerable by science as we know it. The Neuroscientist said it himself.
Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:51:27 PM

I was talking with plane pilots and they told me there is no man with white beard sitting on clouds and watching over us. They told that it would be aviation hazard. And also there is no garden up there, the thin atmosphere and cold would not allow for subtropical ecosystem to exist. The religion and books are completely wrong with this afterlife bullshit.

Multiverse theory. Astral planes. Quantum physics. Subjects that could easily explain a possible afterlife.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 06:58:00 PM

The man was in a coma. These kinds of visions almost always occur in clinical death and coma scenarios.

It's not a question of why corresponding with various medical conditions answering "does it really happen?" but a matter of the fact that this thing does commonly happen with one specific type of condition: Near-death and lack of consciousness.

As for why these kinds of Near-death experience happens is nearly unanswerable by science as we know it. The Neuroscientist said it himself.

So the logic here is: It's unexplainable, the afterlife is unexplainable so it must be the afterlife.
Do you see the fallacy?
Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:58:51 PM

So the logic here is: It's unexplainable, the afterlife is unexplainable so it must be the afterlife.
Do you see the fallacy?

I never claimed it was the afterlife. I only claim there is a consistent phenomenon. It can only be quantified as such at this moment.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:59:36 PM

Multiverse theory. Astral planes. Quantum physics. Subjects that could easily explain a possible afterlife.
Even if multiverse theory is right, the various universes can not interact with each other by definition. They even most likely have different physical constants and are totally incompatible with our universe. And if other universes exist, why it will need to host soul of some jerk from planet earth when he dies?

Astral is completely out of question as it is not even scientific in any sense.

We don't know if brain functions in quantum level. Even if it does, what is the purpose of having immortal consciousness?

The afterlife is a invented fairy tale for cowardly people who just can't stand the fact that we are mortal, we have limited time to live and there is nothing to save us.

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:00:34 PM

Everyone of you is right.

According to my religion absolute Everything is real.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:04:07 PM

Even if multiverse theory is right, the various universes can not interact with each other by definition. They even most likely have different physical constants and are totally incompatible with our universe. And if other universes exist, why it will need to host soul of some jerk from planet earth when he dies?

We don't know if brain functions in quantum level. Even if it does, what is the purpose of having immortal consciousness?

The afterlife is a invented fairy tale for cowardly people who just can't stand the fact that we are mortal, we have limited time to live and there is nothing to save us.
Why does there have to be a defined purpose? Isn't the universe rudderless according to you?

I don't think it is certain that our raw, perceiving consciousness is mortal. If our ability to perceive is quantifiable, then it can be replicated. Assuming an infinite universe, it is likely that our ability to perceive will take shape again through whatever means. If life can come from barren dirt, I believe we can find ourselves perceiving through another being and form once more. Maybe with no recollection but with a perception nonetheless.

This doesn't have to have a religious explanation. One only has to look at monkeys on typewriters and apply to it the mish-mash of matter and energy that is our universe.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:05:34 PM

I never claimed it was the afterlife. I only claim there is a consistent phenomenon. It can only be quantified as such at this moment.
For Bitcoins You can buy various phenomenas from Silk Road. If we somehow experience something it does not make things real. Drugs or coma - if someone is hallucinating it does mean they are hallucinating not visiting afterlife promised by god or pedophilic priest. The similarities in experiences in near death experiences means that the causing mechanism are similar in near death cases. Like similar drugs are causing similar experiences.

Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:08:55 PM

For Bitcoins You can buy various phenomenas from Silk Road. If we somehow experience something it does not make things real. Drugs or coma - if someone is hallucinating it does mean they are hallucinating not visiting afterlife promised by god or pedophilic priest. The similarities in experiences in near death experiences means that the causing mechanism are similar in near death cases. Like similar drugs are causing similar experiences.
I am glad we can agree.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:10:18 PM

Why does there have to be a defined purpose? Isn't the universe rudderless according to you?

I don't think it is certain that our raw, perceiving consciousness is mortal. If our ability to perceive is quantifiable, then it can be replicated. Assuming an infinite universe, it is likely that our ability to perceive will take shape again through whatever means. If life can come from barren dirt, I believe we can find ourselves perceiving through another being and form once more. Maybe with no recollection but with a perception nonetheless.

This doesn't have to have a religious explanation. One only has to look at monkeys on typewriters and apply to it the mish-mash of matter and energy that is our universe.
Our universe as we know it is not infinitely old. Our universe is changing constantly. There is not enough time to get Bitcoin private key by means of brute forcing it, let alone every persons consciousness to be replicated in random.

Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:12:15 PM

There is not enough time to get Bitcoin private key by means of brute forcing it, let alone every persons consciousness to be replicated in random.

You can't say that for certain.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:16:19 PM

According to known facts this is our best guess. You are not certain also that there are no gremlins hiding under your bed but the best guess is that there are none right now and most scientists will agree that there are no gremlins at all.

Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:18:39 PM

According to known facts this is our best guess. You are not certain also that there are no gremlins hiding under your bed but the best guess is that there are none right now and most scientists will agree that there are no gremlins at all.
It seems even you desire a likely certainty. I am content with none at all.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:51:29 PM

Are you saying this from experience or only by definition?  If I told you I meditated and left my body, would you tell me what I experienced wasn't real, even if I said it was?

Yes.  It is by definition, not real.

"Hallucinations involve sensing things while awake that appear to be real, but instead have been created by the mind."

You either have to accept that it was a hallucination, or decide that it wasn't a hallucination and was in fact real.

There is no such thing as a 'real hallucination'.

Do you accept that experience of the hallucination was real?

The experience was really created by the mind.  It existed.

It was not real.

So then youre saying something can exist without being real. With that logic we could infer that heaven exists through his "hallucination" of it. If we want to go down that route then we can say that every experience is created by the mind and therfore all experiences exist but are not real, i.e music, relationships, movies, conversations etc...

The big difference you seem to be misunderstanding is the source of the experience.  Was the experience caused by our interpretation of real external stimulus?  Or was it caused by the brain itself?

Here's another definition for you.  Words mean things you know...

"A hallucination, in the broadest sense of the word, is a perception in the absence of a stimulus. In a stricter sense, hallucinations are defined as perceptions in a conscious and awake state in the absence of external stimuli which have qualities of real perception, in that they are vivid, substantial, and located in external objective space."
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:52:57 PM

As you cannot disprove the existence of another reality, or afterlife, it's quite obstinate to disregard the possibility.  Your lack of spiritual experience does not justify lack of spiritual existence.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:55:32 PM

Only similar in that all of these 'experiences' are vague and difficult to describe.  When people have an inexpiable experience, whether it is similar to another's inexpiable experience or not, they will inevitably describe the experience similarly due to the fact that we only have so many words that can describe an inexpiable experience.
Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:57:46 PM

Only similar in that all of these 'experiences' are vague and difficult to describe.  When people have an inexpiable experience, whether it is similar to another's inexpiable experience or not, they will inevitably describe the experience similarly due to the fact that we only have so many words that can describe an inexpiable experience.

A tunnel of light was certainly described.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: