Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:13:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Today, Mark Karpeles learns how to spell "EMBEZZLEMENT"  (Read 1611 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:21:10 PM

Japan charges Bitcoin exchange CEO with embezzlement

Japanese prosecutors said Friday that they have charged the head of collapsed Bitcoin exchange MtGox with embezzlement, amid fraud allegations over the disappearance of hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars-worth of the virtual currency.

The indictment of France-born Mark Karpeles, 30, comes after he was taken into police custody in Tokyo last month over the affair. He remained in custody Friday but has the option of petitioning the court for release pending trial.

The charges are tied to allegations that Karpeles falsified data while another relates to claims he pocketed millions of dollars of Bitcoin deposits.

He has been held without formal charge for six weeks, as allowed under Japanese law.

The rest found at http://news.yahoo.com/japan-charges-bitcoin-exchange-ceo-embezzlement-jiji-press-041756154.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:24:22 PM

When is he going to dump all his coins..lo1
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 08:26:48 PM

Anybody have any idea about what kind of punishment he could face if found guilty on those charges?
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:37:31 PM

Anybody have any idea about what kind of punishment he could face if found guilty on those charges?

Well, if they let him out of jail on bail like when he was changed in France for another crime but skipped outta the continent, he may very well skip to another continent and be sentenced in absentia, once again, thus that'll be his punishment. He'll be forced to live off the ONLY hundreds of millions of dollars worth of bitcoins that's still unaccounted for. HAHAHA Take that, Mark Karpeles! You'll forever live in misery.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 08:52:36 PM

I know that they've been taking their time with this, but you've gotta have respect for the Japanese, at least they're actually doing something about him, because most government employees in other countries barely even touch a computer anyone else would just ignore it and hope it goes away.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:56:28 PM

If you really want to know then here's what looks like their penal code - http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/hourei/data/PC.pdf
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 08:58:47 PM

If you really want to know then here's what looks like their penal code - http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/seisaku/hourei/data/PC.pdf

Was actually just looking for a 'ballpark' idea of what he was facing but thanks, will see if I find anything in there but guess the final punishment decided on will in large depend on the particular circumstances.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:05:46 PM

Was actually just looking for a 'ballpark' idea of what he was facing but thanks, will see if I find anything in there but guess the final punishment decided on will in large depend on the particular circumstances.

Random googling shows up a couple of results that say you can't get more than ten years for theft. No idea whether that's true or not and I'm not sure what his exact formal charge will be.

I wonder whether being in jail will actually register in his autistic mind.
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 09:06:51 PM

The following is from the document you posted, not sure they will all apply though, just posting here for interest....

Article 252. (Embezzlement)
(1) A person who embezzles property in his/her possession which belongs to another, shall be punished by imprisonment with work for not more than 5 years.
(2) The same shall apply to a person who embezzles his/her own property when the person has been ordered by a public office to hold the property in custody

Article 235. (Theft)
A person who steals the property of another commits the crime of theft and shall be punished by imprisonment with work for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than 500,000 yen.

Article 246-2. (Computer Fraud)
In addition to the provisions of Article 246, a person who obtains or causes another to obtain a profit by creating a false electromagnetic record relating to acquisition, loss or alteration of property rights by inputting false data or giving unauthorized commands to a computer utilized for the business of another, or by putting a false electromagnetic record relating to acquisition, loss or alteration of property rights into use for the administration of the matters of another shall be punished by imprisonment with work for not more than 10 years.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:17:15 PM

Hopefully he'll have a blast in prison.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:55:56 PM

He pumped Bitcoin to $1000+ by doing fake trades and bitcoiners still hate him? Weird people...
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:01:52 PM

He pumped Bitcoin to $1000+ by doing fake trades and bitcoiners still hate him? Weird people...
Well... almost all Mt.Gox users never got their btc or fiat out. Some btc users were entirely wiped out.
When things like that happen in the "real" world, people usually jump off buildings.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:05:58 PM

Let's not forget he allegedly stole thousands of bitcoin and hid them, gox users lost millions because of him. He deserves his time in jail until he returns the money.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:38:01 PM

When is he going to dump all his coins..lo1

Well I hope he won't have an acces to the computer and an Internet connection in the jail! Smiley

On the serious note, I am sure he will get some serious time. Japan is not joking with prison times. When you screw up over there, you will pay, just like in the US.

He does deserve all that is coming to him. Incompetent and crook at the same time. What a combination!
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:51:03 PM

He's getting what he deserves for being negligent with customers funds and having no security at all with the coins held...

Same old story: hope he doesn't misplace his soap in prison like he did with customers coins.
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:51:35 PM

Mark single-handedly pumped bitcoin to $1000+? Color me impressed. And all this time, I thought there was legitimate demand for bitcoin. Angry

I think the price action on Huobi in 2013 was a hell of a lot more telling than that of Mt Gox. Agree to disagree.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:53:13 PM

Mark single-handedly pumped bitcoin to $1000+? Color me impressed. And all this time, I thought there was legitimate demand for bitcoin. Angry

I think the price action on Huobi in 2013 was a hell of a lot more telling than that of Mt Gox. Agree to disagree.

Don't start making salient points backed up with evidence. We don't like that type of thing round these parts.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:56:20 PM

Mark single-handedly pumped bitcoin to $1000+?

Kinda. http://www.coindesk.com/bot-named-willy-did-mt-goxs-automated-trading-pump-bitcoin-price/
hmblm1245

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 11:55:43 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 12:32:41 AM

He's getting what he deserves for being negligent with customers funds and having no security at all with the coins held...

Same old story: hope he doesn't misplace his soap in prison like he did with customers coins.

"In Japan, when a Willy drops the soap, the others yell, "Malleability attack!" Catchy phrase, if you ask me, so let's see if we can adopt such here in the States."
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: