Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:34:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Watching Only Help  (Read 779 times)
Kjirstin (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:54:13 PM

I am really hoping someone can point out what I'm doing wrong here....

I have a cold storage Electrum wallet and would now like to set up a watching only one on my online OS (mac). Problem is, when I download Electrum (executable OSX) there is no option to create a watching only. I see:

what do you want to do?
-create new wallet
-restore wallet or import keys

wallet type:
-standard wallet
-wallet with two-factor etc....

On every website I clearly see the option for a watching only wallet right under "restore".

Why is mine different and how can I fix this?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 10:01:42 PM

Try the following:

File --> New/Restore --> Enter name for wallet --> Select 'Restore a wallet or import keys' and 'Standard Wallet' --> Copy & Paste the xpub key of the wallet you want to 'watch' --> Click OK

Should then load up the wallet which will be in Watch only mode as there is no private keys.

So instead of entering the seed for the wallet you enter the xpub key for the wallet.

Kjirstin (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:20:43 PM

Thank you!

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 10:25:19 PM

Pleasure, good thing you asked as I also did not know how to do it, did not even see the option was taken away from the menu so had to dig around a bit.

Now we both know.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: