Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:47:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins lost!?  (Read 871 times)
semptex (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:59:58 PM

Hi,

i have the following problem. I have buyed bitcoins over anycoindirect.eu. They send the bitcoins to an address, so I downloaded bitcoin-core. Unfortunately the sync process of the app filled my entire hard drive. So I moved the .bitcoin folder to another drive. Then bitcoin-core crashed immediatly after i tried to start it. So I reinstalled it, now it's running again but the transaction is not here anymore. Is there a way to restore it? I still know the address.

Thanks in advice!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 10:07:52 PM

Hi,

i have the following problem. I have buyed bitcoins over anycoindirect.eu. They send the bitcoins to an address, so I downloaded bitcoin-core. Unfortunately the sync process of the app filled my entire hard drive. So I moved the .bitcoin folder to another drive. Then bitcoin-core crashed immediatly after i tried to start it. So I reinstalled it, now it's running again but the transaction is not here anymore. Is there a way to restore it? I still know the address.

Thanks in advice!

Once its fully synced the TX should show up assuming its confirmed. If you have a different machine with more space copy the wallet.dat file and install bitcoin core there. Same can be done with someone you trust. Send them the file and the password and let them send you the coins. You should set up a different wallet (e.g. electrum, multibit) in advance, to have an address only you control ready.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:56:17 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advice!

Well has the Bitcoin Core synced completely? If not, then you need to wait that it finishes. This can sometimes take even few days, depending on the processing power of your computer and of your Internet connection.

I just hope that you have saved a wallet.dat file, where you have sent your coins. I hope you haven't deleted this while re-installing.

Bitcoin Core takes a while to download the blockchain. This can be troublesome. You might needed to try with some lite wallet, Electrum or Multibit.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 12:27:57 AM

Hi,

Thanks in advice!

Well has the Bitcoin Core synced completely? If not, then you need to wait that it finishes. This can sometimes take even few days, depending on the processing power of your computer and of your Internet connection.

I just hope that you have saved a wallet.dat file, where you have sent your coins. I hope you haven't deleted this while re-installing.

Bitcoin Core takes a while to download the blockchain. This can be troublesome. You might needed to try with some lite wallet, Electrum or Multibit.

Really OP do not delete or change more.  Stop and try to get the wallet.dat file.   There are many tutorial on it.

If you don't get that wallet.dat you sadly will lose coins.   Unless you had ton's and paid forensics to try to recover it.
Itun

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 12:31:58 AM

Don't stress over it and try to look for it now

You might make it worse for yourself

Just wait for it to sync up
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 12:36:05 AM

If you have a space issue, you should start using another wallet software that doesn't need to download the whole blockchain to work.

As for your funds, if you still have the wallet.dat file or if you made a proper backup (it doesn't seem like you did), you're fine.
Knowing the address doesn't do much for coin control, as they are available to everyone.
Capefear

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:40:19 AM

How long a txi can take to be confirmed? even days?
nicole7852

Activity: 128

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:43:08 AM

yes it can depends on tnx fees u put and also on server spam..

Capefear

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:52:26 AM

Oh interesting, this is for the 6 confirmations? Or you mean days even for only one?
nicole7852

Activity: 128

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:59:28 AM

Oh interesting, this is for the 6 confirmations? Or you mean days even for only one?
NO, it usually confirms instantly but it might take some time like 1 hour or so..normally

Capefear

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 10:01:53 AM

NO, it usually confirms instantly but it might take some time like 1 hour or so..normally
Perfect, I need to try to be sure that I've understood.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 11:27:04 AM

Perfect, I need to try to be sure that I've understood.

"is confirmed" is usually the first confirmation, which means your TX is now part of a bitcoin block. These blocks are found every 10 minutes on average, but the times may vary and the space in each block is limited. Thus your TX might not be part of the next block found, but will be in one found later.

6 confirmations are a security messure as its possible - even though unlikely nowadays - that a block will get refused by the network and replaced by another one that does not include your transaction. This would remove the first confirmation from your transaction and its put back into the queue of unconfirmed transactions. The chance that this happens with 6 blocks is very unlikely and can be considered impossible under normal circumstances.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
semptex (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 07:05:12 PM

Thanks for your help so far.

The sync process is finally done, but no transaktion showed up. Is there anything I can do?

What i have done so far:
I moved the .bitcoin folder to another drive, reinstalled bitcoin-core and then I have selected the directory as bitcoin-core directory on start-up. 
unholycactus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 07:17:18 PM

Thanks for your help so far.

The sync process is finally done, but no transaktion showed up. Is there anything I can do?

What i have done so far:
I moved the .bitcoin folder to another drive, reinstalled bitcoin-core and then I have selected the directory as bitcoin-core directory on start-up.  

The crucial file used to control your funds is wallet.dat and should be located in .bitcoin/
You have to make sure this file is the old one that contains the address that you used for the transaction.

In the future, make a proper backup of your wallet, it greatly speeds up the recovery process in case something goes wrong.

EDIT: I should mention that Bitcoin Core needs to rescan if you change your wallet.dat file.
In a windows terminal (assuming your installation has default settings):
Code:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin
bitcoin-qt.exe -rescan

I'm actually not sure if it's called bitcoin-qt.exe anymore.
semptex (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 08:17:42 PM

Is it possible that the wallet.dat file was overwritten when I selected the .bitcoin folder? Because I'm pretty sure that the right wallet.dat file was in this folder, but nothing is showing up now.
unholycactus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 08:58:52 PM

Is it possible that the wallet.dat file was overwritten when I selected the .bitcoin folder? Because I'm pretty sure that the right wallet.dat file was in this folder, but nothing is showing up now.

You can check the created date on the file. It's impossible for me to tell if you overwrote the file.
semptex (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 09:31:55 PM

The date would be pretty much the same because I started bitcoin-core just a few moments after i copied the files to the other drive. I thought maybe someone knows what bitcoin-core does when one selects the directory. But I think the coins are lost anyway. So thank you again for your help.  Smiley
unholycactus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 09:37:36 PM

The date would be pretty much the same because I started bitcoin-core just a few moments after i copied the files to the other drive. I thought maybe someone knows what bitcoin-core does when one selects the directory. But I think the coins are lost anyway. So thank you again for your help.  Smiley

As a last stretch of help from me, blockchain.info has a simple tool that imports your wallet.dat into their wallet software.

https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet

I suggest importing your wallet.dat there. This should give you access to the funds if there are any.
If successful, I strongly suggest moving your coins back to an offline wallet with a proper backup.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4657

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 09:43:30 PM

- snip -
I have selected the directory as bitcoin-core directory on start-up.  

Is it possible that the wallet.dat file was overwritten when I selected the .bitcoin folder?
- snip -

- snip -
what bitcoin-core does when one selects the directory.
- snip -

Does Bitcoin Core now ask the user where their bitcoin data directory is when it starts up for the first time?  I wasn't aware of this.  How long has it done this?

Bitcoin Core should not overwrite a wallet.dat file with a new one if it finds a wallet.dat file in its data directory.  You mentioned, when it crashed, you "moved the .bitcoin folder to another drive".  Do you still have the wallet.dat file in that folder where you moved it to?  If so, then the address should still be recoverable from that file.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: