Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:42:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who has been affected by stress test already?  (Read 3042 times)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 06:50:40 AM

I have. Tonight cryptograffiti.info lost one of its permanent decoders due to the flood of unconfirmed transactions. The maximum memory use limiter was triggered at 256 MiB of memory consumption which closed the program automatically. So those stress testers are already getting on my nerves and they are fucking with real life applications. Just wanted to say that as a developer I hate this stress testing thing since it just causes DOS. When Bitcoin naturally reaches so many TXs I would obviously develop means to overcome such memory shortages but since I'm developing from my free time as a hobby I wouldn't normally waste my time on it until it is really needed. Right now it is not really needed so it's like a teenage little brat is doing it for the sake of it to get on everyone's nerves.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 07:07:20 AM

Only did 4 transactions yesterday and all went off without any problems and or delays.

Must say however, that I did bump up the transaction fees to almost double what I always used just to make sure. So only effect it had on me was increased cost but that was still minute.

Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 07:31:53 AM

Only did 4 transactions yesterday and all went off without any problems and or delays.

Must say however, that I did bump up the transaction fees to almost double what I always used just to make sure. So only effect it had on me was increased cost but that was still minute.

Exactly. It doesn't affect making payemtns. It only disturbs applications that rely on bitcoin's block chain. In my case, I have to parse every single bitcoin transaction because any of them could potentially contain human readable text. So it pisses me off. All this stress test does is it disturbs 3rd party applications. It doesn't even affect the primary use case of bitcoin which is making payments. So I would personally give a good spanking to the guys responsible for this.

amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:27:51 AM

So I would personally give a good spanking to the guys responsible for this.
Give me please.
(It is very interesting to talk about spam with the person who is owner of blockchain-spaming resource cryptograffiti.info)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 08:47:53 AM

So I would personally give a good spanking to the guys responsible for this.
Give me please.
(It is very interesting to talk about spam with the person who is owner of blockchain-spaming resource cryptograffiti.info)

CryptoGraffiti has never been about blockchain spamming, so you just want to deliberately put it into bad light, how lame of you. The main purpose of the service is to scan the block chain to discover the hidden messages. I cannot stop anyone from saving their messages in the block chain. That said, your sentence is simply wrong. So now I expect you to apologize.

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:54:03 AM

I cannot stop anyone from saving their messages in the block chain. That said, your sentence is simply wrong. So now I expect you to apologize.
You can use technique which do not increase the number of utxo.
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 12:57:09 PM

I cannot stop anyone from saving their messages in the block chain. That said, your sentence is simply wrong. So now I expect you to apologize.
You can use technique which do not increase the number of utxo.

You're barking at the wrong tree. Whatever I do or do not does not have any effect on the techniques people might use to encode custom data into the block chain. I did not start this. It's as if you are against Bitcoin having an intrinsic value which is the block chain and its integrity.

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 01:56:27 PM

I did not start this
Yes, but you can improve this by storing data not in addresses.
Just use p2sh scripts. This will not increase UTXO set.
It's as if you are against Bitcoin having an intrinsic value
What? I do not understand you. Bitcoin is just a zero-sum game. Some people gain money. All others lose them.
(In fact this game is not zero-sum, because of using resources)
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 02:26:31 PM

As I've said before, I agree that these stress test are nothing but destructive tendencies towards Bitcoin... I haven't been having issues with payments (did one yesterday for goods that got shipped straight away), but many services and nodes are simply crashing... Good luck on getting CryptoGraffiti up again, it's a pretty interesting service.
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 02:27:53 PM

i still have a unconfirmed transaction in the blockchain sent with a 10bits fee.  Cry
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 07:16:10 PM

i still have a unconfirmed transaction in the blockchain sent with a 10bits fee.  Cry

Normal, very low fee for the amount of transactions we've had recently, unfortunately...
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 07:21:10 PM

Good luck on getting CryptoGraffiti up again, it's a pretty interesting service.

The good news is that I have several fallback mechanisms in place so real-time block chain decoding has never stopped. I just lost one decoder instance which means I'm one step closer to going offline. I cannot restart the instance that went down because I have not set up a remote administration tool for the PC that runs it. It's very far from me for a couple of weeks so can't just go there and start the process.

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:01:41 PM

I did not start this
Yes, but you can improve this by storing data not in addresses.
Just use p2sh scripts. This will not increase UTXO set.

Do you have any problem with reading comprehension? OP's website is just a specialized block explorer. It publishes nothing to the blockchain

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:38:50 PM

Do you have any problem with reading comprehension?
OP's website is just a specialized block explorer.
It publishes nothing to the blockchain
What is the "WRITE" tab on this site for?
Who is the spammer? The person who increases the number of utxo, or the person who decrease them?
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 08:52:50 PM

Unaffected Bitcoin user here. I have been doing some transactions through September, not a single one went on a delay or got stuck. I am happy to say that if you pay the standard fee as suggested by Bitcoin Core wallet, nothing wrong will happen even under heavy attack scenario. I have heard a lot of people having problems tho.
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2015, 09:02:18 PM

Do you have any problem with reading comprehension?
OP's website is just a specialized block explorer.
It publishes nothing to the blockchain
What is the "WRITE" tab on this site for?
Who is the spammer? The person who increases the number of utxo, or the person who decrease them?

For educational purposes, the write tab perfectly demonstrates how arbitrary data makes its way to the block chain. I don't encourage bloating the block chain but if one really has to do it they will do it one way or another.

For example, one could always go to this site:
http://hex.online-toolz.com/tools/text-hex-convertor.php

Type in 20 bytes of text, get the hex output and copy it to the 3rd input on this site:
http://gobittest.appspot.com/Address

And get the bitcoin address corresponding to their arbitrary data. They can then send bitcoins to that address and have their data saved in the block chain in a pruning-resistant way.

amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:44:34 PM

Thanks for the links.
But I have to ask my question again.
Who is spammer?
The person who holds a site with the engine for spamming blockchain or the person who reduces the UTXO set?
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 09:53:04 PM

Good luck on getting CryptoGraffiti up again, it's a pretty interesting service.

The good news is that I have several fallback mechanisms in place so real-time block chain decoding has never stopped. I just lost one decoder instance which means I'm one step closer to going offline. I cannot restart the instance that went down because I have not set up a remote administration tool for the PC that runs it. It's very far from me for a couple of weeks so can't just go there and start the process.

Nice to see that you have backup systems. I was referring to the fact that cryptograffiti doesn't seem to be displaying data when I made that post, and it still doesn't seem to display it. But I guess you're also dependent of other services such as blockchain, and if they're not working, then yours won't work too Smiley

As for blockchain spamming, it's not the purpose of this thread, but... The fact that there's a write button on the site doesn't mean it's owner and/or operators are directly responsible for bloating the blockchain...
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 10:05:57 PM

First stress test made me look like an idiot. I finally got one of my friends into the Bitcoin. He has resisted long time to get into Bitcoin since he didn't want to connect his bank account with the exchanges. So I have told him that I will buy 2 BTCs for him on localbitcoins and he will give me money. I got him through the process and showed him everything. We made a bank transfer and the seller released the coins.

But then problems arise, I told him now you will have coins in your wallet in about 10 minutes. It took 2 days. Localbitcoins has sent a minimum fee of 0.00001and there you go. I looked like an idiot.

prodigy8

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 10:09:00 PM

First stress test made me look like an idiot. I finally got one of my friends into the Bitcoin. He has resisted long time to get into Bitcoin since he didn't want to connect his bank account with the exchanges. So I have told him that I will buy 2 BTCs for him on localbitcoins and he will give me money. I got him through the process and showed him everything. We made a bank transfer and the seller released the coins.

But then problems arise, I told him now you will have coins in your wallet in about 10 minutes. It took 2 days. Localbitcoins has sent a minimum fee of 0.00001and there you go. I looked like an idiot.

Bad experience Mickeyb, i see today people are paying 0.0003 in fees(instead of 0.0001). I hate this stress test, do you have any information guys when this stress test will end?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: