Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:51:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: unconfirmed no fee very small tranaction = balance of btc unavailable  (Read 1038 times)
emr_77 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:24:54 PM

Hi all,
I wanted to demonstrate bit coin to a friend and sent 0.00000001 bit coins to him with no transaction fee, two days ago. Unsurprisingly the transaction has not been included in a block. However, the balance of bit coins in my  android basedwallet are now unavailable to spend. It seems from.reading other posts that my tiny transaction may never be confirmed. Is there any way I can salvage the balance of the wallet that I did not transfer?

Greatful for any help! Thanks.
SätöshiTable

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 05:02:58 PM

export the private keys and import to some other wallet like the blockchain online wallet.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:06:42 PM

I wanted to demonstrate bit coin to a friend and sent 0.00000001 bit coins to him with no transaction fee, two days ago.
[...]
Unsurprisingly the transaction has not been included in a block.

SatoshiDICE does this transaction hundreds of times each day. When paying a fee of 0.0005 BTC (worth less than a penny), the transaction will eventually (hours at most) be included in a block

Does your transaction appear on Blockchain.info ?
 - http://www.Blockchain.info

However, the balance of bit coins in my  android basedwallet are now unavailable to spend.

Which client?   The options available differ depending on which service you are using.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

emr_77 (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 05:40:36 PM

The client I am using is bit coin wallet.
I was unable to find my transaction on block chain.info.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:19:33 PM

The client I am using is bit coin wallet.
I was unable to find my transaction on block chain.info.

Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach, for Android,
 - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en

That doesn't use the same wallet format as the Bitcoin.org client, and accessing the keys requires rooting the phone.

A client should be noticing that a transaction hasn't been included in a block and re-broadcast it.    If the entire transaction is a tiny amount, (all inputs are satoshi sized) it may not get included ever if no peers accept it because they will then not relay it either.

You can try adding a node that will relay the transaction:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Free_transaction_relay_policy

as Andreas suggests here:
 - http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/detail?id=100#c8

As soon as that transaction appears in Blockchain.info, then it is only a matter of waiting.  But until it reaches Blockchain.info even, no miners likely even know your transaction exists.

Also was suggesting resetting the blockchain on the device (not sure how that is done), which will lose the pending transaction.  That will let you add a fee so that the transactions will at least get confirmed.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:36:12 PM

Stephen, you compared to satoshi dice that pays a transaction. In his first post he said that he paid no transaction. I don't think the desktop default client will allow that. It would be a non standard transaction correct?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
emr_77 (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:09:07 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I emailed the dev of bit coin wallet who responded very quickly, as follows. Will report back once I know if it works!

I've written a FAQ about this:

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/wiki/UnstickLowFeeTransactions

I think you should go for resetting your blockchain.

Cheers,

Andreas
emr_77 (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 11:18:58 AM

Problem resolved. Thanks again for ur input.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: