Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 09:46:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best block size limit?  (Read 1313 times)
stuff0577 (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

More stuff will come.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 05:31:45 AM

Any Idea on what is the best number? or a dynamic one will do.

please share your Idea. Thanks

DAILAI Peer-to-peer micro transport services
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 05:48:38 AM

I think a dynamic one is fine. We can use data such as addresses used within last n blocks (i.e. popularity of BTC that time).
However, the current 1MB limit is fine for the current popularity. When BTC get more popularity, then 2MB would be fine that time, etc.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Undermood
Legendary

Activity: 950
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 07:12:35 AM

This is what we have been debating! There are a lot of related threads about same topic! OP, please search before you post a topic! IMO many ppl bother to reply to the same questions.

╓▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖,
         ,▄██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▄,
        ▄████▀▀░░        ░╙▀▓███▓,
      ,███╣▒▒▒░░╓╖╖╖╖╖╖,░░░▒▒╢▓▓▓[
     ╓▓██▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╢▓▓▓▓
    ╖▒▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▓▓▓▓▒░,
   ╫▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒               "▓▓▓▓▓▓  ╟
  ▐▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓╖              ▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ]
 ,▓▓░░░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▄           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓`░░ ▐▓▌
 ╟▓▓▌░░░ ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓         ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░╓▓▓▓
 ╟▓▓▓▓   ░`▓▓▓▓▓▓,      ╟▓▓▓▓▓╜░░░░╓▓▓▓▓
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓,░ ░ ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖   ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░╟▓▓▓▓▌
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖░   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌ ╓██████▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓`
   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌  ░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓  ░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓╢╣╢╢▓███▓█▀
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓@░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▄░▒▒░▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀
            ╙▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀`
InfinitusToken.io
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███

███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
   ███
⚑⚑ Read our Whitepaper
⚑⚑ Medium ⚑⚑ Telegram
[/ta
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 03:04:26 PM

I think a dynamic one is fine. We can use data such as addresses used within last n blocks (i.e. popularity of BTC that time).
However, the current 1MB limit is fine for the current popularity. When BTC get more popularity, then 2MB would be fine that time, etc.
Yeah but the thing is
1) You have to have your block size ready BEFORE the surge in popularity happens to avoid the network being bloated.
2) If a dynamic solution was that easy it would already been implemented, I think there are some serious difficulties behind this method. I would like some experts to address this more technically. It obviously sounds like the most logical answer, but I don't know the details and cons of actually implementing it.
quietguy

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 03:04:58 PM

Dynamic is good. but raising it to a solid 20mb would suffice for many years to come
ashour

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 03:15:19 PM

It is really difficult to say, different people need different block sizes. Some people/companies profit with small block size and some with big blocks sizes. I think that a auto-adjustable block size fork would be the best solution for the current block debate.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 04:55:54 PM

Remove the limit completely. It's useless and does not provide any real protection.

coalitionfor8mb

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 05:17:15 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2015, 11:09:31 PM by coalitionfor8mb

8MB is the answer.

As of right now We Stand Divided.

If in order for us to move forward we need to Grow Up and fork Bitcoin, we should.

YouShould.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 05:39:28 PM

the best would be to increase it slowly over time.

an 25-30% increase per years should be fine.

VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 12:00:54 AM

The block size limit should be based on the limitations of the technology at the time. It should be increased, since one megabyte is just an arbitrary number and does not reflect the limitations of our technology today. Not having a blocksize limit at all might work as well, since miners have full discretion in terms of which and how many transactions they include in the blocks that they mine.
CounterEntropy

Activity: 214
Merit: 278

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 12:04:25 AM

Dynamic block size limit is the best any day.

Check BIP 106: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0106.mediawiki
stuff0577 (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

More stuff will come.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 02:06:01 AM

Yeah It's think It will be the best option. but we have to consider security the most

DAILAI Peer-to-peer micro transport services
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 06:04:21 AM

I would leave it at 1MB till every block is 90%+ full for 6 months. If fees go above 15 cents we could bump it up to 1.5MB with out to many issues. If the miners are using all the space.

I'm not worried about the sky falling because the only people using Bitcoin right now are those that have no other choice but to use it and the fanatics, the diehards, the believers.
Even if every full node on the planet melted into slag we could still resurrect the network if we have a copy of the blockchain.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 07:20:22 AM

is this working in this way?

if we reach 2mb traffic the client change automatically the limit to two, if we reach 4mb the client change again to 4mb, etc...?

if this is correct and it working as intended, i think it's the best solution out there
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 08:36:17 AM

Remove the limit completely. It's useless and does not provide any real protection.
No. Flawed papers on how the fee market exists without a limit should not be looked at as the ultimate solution.

Dynamic is good. but raising it to a solid 20mb would suffice for many years to come
This would cause the propagation time to be too long, and would cause quite the problems. The orphan rates would spike every now and then.

@OP I do not think that we could decide on a single block size limit to be the "best". Maybe even if we did, it would be the "best" today, but what about tomorrow?  This discussion has been going on for quite a long time. There is no concurrent problem either. In my own opinion, I would probably agree to a dynamic block size limit with certain limitations/rules.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
fairglu
Legendary

Activity: 1100
Merit: 1030

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 09:00:13 AM

This would cause the propagation time to be too long, and would cause quite the problems. The orphan rates would spike every now and then.

Propagation times and orphan rates would pretty much guarantee that very large blocks would be orphaned.
No thrifty pool operator would make large blocks anyway beyond a few experiments: it just would not be worth the orphan risk unless those large blocks are full of high fee tx (and even then)

There are already regularly nearly empty and fully empty blocks because of propagation and orphan issues.

IMHO the block size debate is like counting angels on a pinhead: it is rather pointless unless propagation & orphan issues are fixed.

coalitionfor8mb

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:24:30 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2015, 09:31:01 AM by coalitionfor8mb

Propagation times and orphan rates would pretty much guarantee that very large blocks would be orphaned.
No thrifty pool operator would make large blocks anyway beyond a few experiments: it just would not be worth the orphan risk unless those large blocks are full of high fee tx (and even then)

There are already regularly nearly empty and fully empty blocks because of propagation and orphan issues.

IMHO the block size debate is like counting angels on a pinhead: it is rather pointless unless propagation & orphan issues are fixed.

If we look at it in Fairlight, fairglu Smiley, we will understand that removing the limit altogether (or placing it too high) creates an incentive to do just that (fix propagation & orphan issues), which in turn allows the network to consolidate around high-bandwidth lanes leaving the home-based demographic out of the picture, while Bitcoin becomes nothing but a Dead Ringer to its true self.

Oh, and by the way, truth doesn't need a BIP.  Grin
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:28:41 AM

is this working in this way?

if we reach 2mb traffic the client change automatically the limit to two, if we reach 4mb the client change again to 4mb, etc...?

if this is correct and it working as intended, i think it's the best solution out there

but what is the limit? otherwise some miner could force the system to adapt 3 GB blocks within 1 year or so.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 01:06:38 PM

Yes but you never know what size of the blocks you will need. So in a sense, you are playing a guessing game and maybe wasting resources or centralizing Bitcoin too much if you pick a wrong size. You might even choke it if we get a huge increase in transactions and you didn't raise the limit enough.

This dynamic thing that people are mentioning seems very interesting. Is this really not feasible and are there some insurmountable difficulties to cross with this? And what are those? Some more technical people to answer this would be welcome.
coalitionfor8mb

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 01:53:00 PM

Yes but you never know what size of the blocks you will need. So in a sense, you are playing a guessing game and maybe wasting resources or centralizing Bitcoin too much if you pick a wrong size. You might even choke it if we get a huge increase in transactions and you didn't raise the limit enough.

This dynamic thing that people are mentioning seems very interesting. Is this really not feasible and are there some insurmountable difficulties to cross with this? And what are those? Some more technical people to answer this would be welcome.

First, the idea is to keep it in the KISS category (Keep It Simple Stupid, no offense, it's an official term) as Gavin pointed out.

Second, if we (who?) push the limit and it gives, then what's the point of having it in the first place?

Third, here. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: