Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:40:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for some good news, BTC Userbase (Full Nodes) grows again.  (Read 4051 times)
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:23:48 PM

With all the drama going on here, I'm happy to say that the Number of full nodes (which is probably the best indicator for BTC users) shows a constant grow for the first time in over a year:

Finally

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:26:16 PM

Maybe its more P2Pool miners?
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:36:08 PM

Hey, don't destroy this for me.

I'm sure our userbase grows again.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:04:30 PM

I pity those running the official client.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:05:50 PM

The sooner we stop calling it official, the faster it will disappear from the Google frontpage for Bitcoin.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:14:27 PM

I've been running the Satoshi client for some time now and don't plan to stop.

I'm not sure the number of listeners is any indicator of BTC growth.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2217

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 09:16:03 PM

There's no such thing as 'official.'

I think the best term is "reference client."

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 09:27:43 PM

Awesome, I thought that service was down for good.

Lots of great info there:
 - http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 09:43:51 PM

Wow this is pretty excellent news. The reason this had been falling forever was the macro trend of users switching primarily to e-wallets, and I doubt that trend will stop. So for the standard client number to be rising -despite- this macro trend is extremely positive.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 09:58:34 PM

Wow this is pretty excellent news. The reason this had been falling forever was the macro trend of users switching primarily to e-wallets, and I doubt that trend will stop. So for the standard client number to be rising -despite- this macro trend is extremely positive.

Exactly. I think that this is very good news but I strongly disagree that it's a good indicator of the actual Bitcoin userbase. Full nodes are only a portion of the userbase because so many people use Bitcoin directly from web wallets and exchanges and sites such as Silk Road.

Also, this graph hides the real amount of unique Bitcoin full nodes quite well. Even in late 2011 we had 800 000 unique (based on IP) full nodes online in a 3 month period. Apparently a large amount of nodes are only online occasionally.

When we combine that data with the fact that certain nodes represent a large amount of users behind the node, we can conclude that the larger Bitcoin userbase is well over 1 million. That is the occasional users though, the number gets a lot smaller when we count active users only.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:26:31 PM

Exactly. I think that this is very good news but I strongly disagree that it's a good indicator of the actual Bitcoin userbase. Full nodes are only a portion of the userbase because so many people use Bitcoin directly from web wallets and exchanges and sites such as Silk Road.

Also, this graph hides the real amount of unique Bitcoin full nodes quite well. Even in late 2011 we had 800 000 unique (based on IP) full nodes online in a 3 month period. Apparently a large amount of nodes are only online occasionally.

When we combine that data with the fact that certain nodes represent a large amount of users behind the node, we can conclude that the larger Bitcoin userbase is well over 1 million. That is the occasional users though, the number gets a lot smaller when we count active users only.

Important thing is that the actual userbase probably grows. And I still think its the best indicator, I didn't mean to switch it 1to1 to how much users we have, but it's the best measurable variable I know of to calculate actual userbase from (the other variables, like % using webwallets, are unknown, though).

Atlas

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:28:58 PM

I hate to be a filthy capitalist but the best measure of Bitcoin adoption is the price. The more goods and services exchanged for Bitcoin, the higher the price is. It's really simple.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 10:41:53 PM

I hate to be a filthy capitalist but the best measure of Bitcoin adoption is the price. The more goods and services exchanged for Bitcoin, the higher the price is. It's really simple.

<(me, talking to myself) Don't do it! You'll regret it! Think before you act!>

+1

<(other voice) It's only a +1. What harm could... Where did you go?>
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 11:08:46 PM

I think that the amount of nodes is not the best indicator, not even among the best. I prefer market capitalization, exchange liquidity, the amount of transactions in the network (top addresses excluded), the amount of unique Bitcoin addresses used and of course price itself.

I don't have a good graph for exchange liquidity but I know it has increased significantly. This indicator for me is basically "how much the market moves when x amount of fiat is used to buy bitcoins". X could be $100k for example. I don't have data but I know it's a lot better compared to last year. For the others there are some pretty good graphs that I found. All time graphs, 7 day average.

Market cap: http://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap?showDataPoints=false&timespan=all&show_header=true&daysAverageString=7&scale=0&address=

Tx amounts (top 100 excluded): http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular?showDataPoints=false&timespan=all&show_header=true&daysAverageString=7&scale=0&address=

Unique Bitcoin addresses used: http://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses?showDataPoints=false&timespan=all&show_header=true&daysAverageString=7&scale=0&address=

Price all time: http://blockchain.info/charts/market-price?showDataPoints=false&timespan=all&show_header=true&daysAverageString=7&scale=0&address=

Conclusion: Bitcoin is not just growing, it's growing fast!

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:26:20 AM

Price in relation to what?  Fiat currencies?  That means nothing.

But I do agree that the more goods/services exchanged for BTC the better.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Atlas

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:59:22 AM

Price in relation to what?  Fiat currencies?  That means nothing.

Justify this statement. Please, if you wish.
twoglovedanny

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 01:17:33 AM

nice
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 03:32:02 AM

The price is most certainly not the best indicator, though it is a very important one.

The reason is that price is influenced extremely easily by very short term changes in sentiment and myriad psychological factors. These factors are transient and flippant. The price could double tomorrow and it doesn't mean Bitcoin is twice as healthy. I will caveat this by saying perhaps the 90 day moving average price may well be the best indicator, but certainly not the spot price.

I'd say the basket of most important indicators are (in no order):
- Transactions per day (exclude top 100 addys if you want)
- New addresses created per day
- USD price and/or 90-day moving average price
- Exchange volume as measured in USD
- Transaction volume as measured in USD
- Tweets per day which include the term "bitcoin"
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 03:55:20 AM

Not really a great gauge of growth. My case is an example: I was mining directly to an exchange because I was playing the market a little bit but then a hack happened. I didn’t lose anything during the hack but decided that wasn’t a good idea and brought up a full node to transfer my coin. Forgetting how frigin long the catch up is I decided to leave it engaged 24/7. Just one example, I know, but this kind of thing can be happening too.

Good point.  The recent BTC losses might be causing people to rethink their storage habits.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 03:58:46 AM

Traffic analysis described by Dan Kaminsky requires the attacker to have significant numbers of zombie nodes. We do need more users running the full client.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: