Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 09:23:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nick Szabo's Remarks about Bitcoin XT  (Read 2494 times)
Westin Landon Cox (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

Get your filthy fiat off me you damn dirty state.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 03:38:35 PM

Nick Szabo was interviewed for Let's Talk Bitcoin Ep. 246 (released yesterday). At the end they discussed the block size debate and the Bitcoin XT fork. Here's a short video with excerpts where he talked about the Bitcoin XT fork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4_pPkIbGw4

Here are two quotes:

Doing a contentious hard fork is not healthy. It's basically a 51% attack being justified through argument.

I'm just guessing to say that 75% is a large enough number that that forces the rest of the network comply. But if they don't...if you have an ongoing... This is essentially a civil war. It is technologically equivalent to a 51% attack what Hearn and Andresen are doing. And so you essentially have a civil war situation. It will certainly exercise all of Bitcoin's security features...let's put it that way...as any war would.

The full episode is available here:

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-246-smart-contracts-with-nick-szabo

oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 03:58:33 PM

It's nice to see Nick Szabo becoming more active, he was always super secretive. I think I have never heard his voice before this podcast. This man is nothing less of a genius, it makes me think he might as well be Satoshi in the way he addresses stuff. I guess he isn't attending the scaling bitcoin meeting if he did this tho, I had some small hopes of seeing a live debate with him and the rest of experts.
Westin Landon Cox (OP)

Activity: 136

Get your filthy fiat off me you damn dirty state.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 04:03:04 PM

Well, I expect the interview was recorded at least some days ago, if not longer, so Szabo could be at the workshop. I also have a high opinion of Szabo and I'm glad he's speaking out more. Plus since he's come out against XT there are a lot of people willing to swear that he's definitely not Satoshi, in case he ever needs it. Wink

coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 04:04:43 PM

It's nice to see Nick Szabo becoming more active, he was always super secretive. I think I have never heard his voice before this podcast. This man is nothing less of a genius, it makes me think he might as well be Satoshi in the way he addresses stuff. I guess he isn't attending the scaling bitcoin meeting if he did this tho, I had some small hopes of seeing a live debate with him and the rest of experts.

In general all the 'small blockers' are now finally starting to be more active and vocal about the block size debate. For a while there was only promotion by the 'large blockers'. Looks like the other side is getting finally getting their media game up.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 05:14:28 PM

Great to hear an opinion of one of the best cryptographers out there. It is essentialy the same opinion as all of as that are against the Bitcoin XT (not against bigger blocks tbough).

I am also glad that I hear another confirmation that we are just not all crazy but that we are very much right.

It's good to see that this XT craziness is calming down a bit. This was a very dangerous potential precedent.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2015, 05:41:52 PM

wow, the first Satoshi Audio Podcast  Cheesy

just imagine he would make a mistake in this podcast and reveal himself with that  Cheesy

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 06:18:32 PM

just imagine he would make a mistake in this podcast and reveal himself with that  Cheesy

Damn man, you really believe in this, don't you? Cheesy
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 10:05:07 PM

Nick Szabo was interviewed for Let's Talk Bitcoin Ep. 246 (released yesterday). At the end they discussed the block size debate and the Bitcoin XT fork. Here's a short video with excerpts where he talked about the Bitcoin XT fork:

Youtube clip only has 39 views?!

I guess only 39 people use bitcoin these days.   Cheesy
cryptonaut420

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 10:10:09 PM

Youtube clip only has 39 views?!

I guess only 39 people use bitcoin these days.   Cheesy

If you look on the letstalkbitcoin.com episode page there is almost 9,000 views already.
Hydrogen
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 10:22:46 PM

If you look on the letstalkbitcoin.com episode page there is almost 9,000 views already.

Proving most bitcoin afictionados are illiterates who read headlines but never look at the fine print?

Huh
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 10:23:28 PM

In general all the 'small blockers' are now finally starting to be more active and vocal about the block size debate. For a while there was only promotion by the 'large blockers'. Looks like the other side is getting finally getting their media game up.

That's just not right.

Everyone wants it to go up, so there is no 'big' vs 'small'

How. That's the question. How do we raise the block limit. That's what the debate is about, and if you listen to what Szabo says, you'll realise you are not correct to characterise him as a small blocker.

Vires in numeris
Hydrogen
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:04:18 PM

Westin.  Landon.  Cox.

Is Landon Cox a new age version of Bart Simpson calling Moe's bar and asking for Ben Dover?

Troll account?

Huh

if you listen to what Szabo says, you'll realise you are not correct to characterise him as a small blocker.

That's a good point.

His name is "Landon Cox".  Its possible he's just trolling.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:07:39 PM

That's just not right.

Everyone wants it to go up, so there is no 'big' vs 'small'

How. That's the question. How do we raise the block limit. That's what the debate is about, and if you listen to what Szabo says, you'll realise you are not correct to characterise him as a small blocker.
This. I mean it's like some people think the ones that don't want the blocksize raised asap and as high as possible want to be poor? We all want to see Bitcoin go 5 figures man, but we must do it right not compromising Bitcoins decentralizing features in the process. Nick Szabo wants Bitcoin to beat Visa just as much as "big blockers".
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:47:57 PM

if you listen to what Szabo says, you'll realise you are not correct to characterise him as a small blocker.

That's a good point.

His name is "Landon Cox".  Its possible he's just trolling.

I'm not sure, I think you might have Landon mixed up with the person I replied to?

Vires in numeris
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2015, 09:09:48 AM

Damn man, you really believe in this, don't you? Cheesy

if i have to choose one name, i would say Szabo  Smiley

Rico Suave

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 09:43:34 AM

Here are two quotes:

Doing a contentious hard fork is not healthy. It's basically a 51% attack being justified through argument.

I'm just guessing to say that 75% is a large enough number that that forces the rest of the network comply. But if they don't...if you have an ongoing... This is essentially a civil war. It is technologically equivalent to a 51% attack what Hearn and Andresen are doing. And so you essentially have a civil war situation. It will certainly exercise all of Bitcoin's security features...let's put it that way...as any war would.

I like and agree with those two quotes and am glad he said them. I really lost a lot of respect for Hearn and Andresen after they did this.

Oh, did they ask if he was satsohi?  Grin
_smudger_

Activity: 163

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 09:50:28 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2015, 11:25:25 AM by _smudger_

I've always been certain Szabo is Satoshi but even more convinced after hearing the pod-cast. He seems to go out of his way to refer to Satoshi in the third person. Also the fact that no-one really knows much about Szabo shows that here is an individual who is very careful about protecting his identity. I think also that Andreas knows that he is Satoshi - he's almost referential in his questions to Szabo.  

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 09:53:47 AM

Szabo tweeting: "Another design for 2nd layer for small-b bitcoin (+ why large-B Bitcoin won't scale)"

http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/file/716b955c130e6c703fac336ea17b1670/duplex-micropayment-channels.pdf

haha take dat forkers/scalers. ^^
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 10:12:07 AM

I've always been certain Szabo is Satoshi but even more convinced after hearing the pod-cast. He seems to go out of his way to refer to Satoshi in the third person. Also the fact that no-one really knows much about Szabo shows that here is an individual who is very careful about protecting his identity. I think also that Andreas knows that he is Satoshi - he's almost referential is his questions to Szabo.  
Well..no.
Satoshi's white paper propose a solution for small casual transaction, just read his introduction.
If Szabo is Satoshi then he changed his mind.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
unent

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 10:29:17 AM

I've always been certain Szabo is Satoshi but even more convinced after hearing the pod-cast. He seems to go out of his way to refer to Satoshi in the third person. Also the fact that no-one really knows much about Szabo shows that here is an individual who is very careful about protecting his identity. I think also that Andreas knows that he is Satoshi - he's almost referential is his questions to Szabo.  

So little is known about Szabo. How did Let's Talk Bitcoin know it really was Szabo they were talking to? I tried finding out more about him and kept hitting brick walls. I found about two very old pictures that may or may not have been Szabo. There were differences of opinion about where he used to work and what his qualifications were. His identity is almost as secret as Satoshi's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: