Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:23:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8: Microsoft to whitelist sites that can be browsed in IE10  (Read 1884 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 12:20:18 AM

Windows 8, the next OS coming from Microsoft features the slightly improved browser called Internet Explorer 10.

The metro user interface supports "next generation" (that is fat, imprecise fingers that are useless for typing) user interface methods, and older 'classic' mouse and keyboard input is deprecated. Inside the same metro user interface, a different browser, Internet Explorer 10 metro edition has a new 'feature': "Controlling the site experience"

IE10 on Metro will have a Microsoft-vetted whitelist of what sites are and aren't allowed to have special privileges. As of now, it includes plugin support like Flash, as well as camera, microphone, printing, peer to peer, and gesture support.

Those sites will not be allowed to be displayed in Windows 8. Developers of those site must make a 'app' for Windows Store which contains it's own guidelines like no peer to peer (ie bitcoin). Flash content will also be not allowed - goodbye flash games. Unless they are included in Microsoft's CV whitelist.

Direct from microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/jj193557%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1042

Death to enemies!

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:02:02 AM

I don't care because I use IE only as a tool to download Firefox. But some apps still use the components from IE and this is where problems starts. But this is a very bad decision from Microsoft.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 06:35:55 PM

I don't care because I use IE only as a tool to download Firefox. But some apps still use the components from IE and this is where problems starts. But this is a very bad decision from Microsoft.

Interim Browser Explorer Tool

Hence, IE

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 07:41:57 PM

Metro IE 10 != Desktop IE 10

Win8 comes in two modes: Metro and Desktop. Metro runs apps from the upcoming WindowsStore built upon a special runtime WinRT that is very restrictive. These apps will also be compatible with tablets and phones with ARM processors. Other browsers won't be available in this mode (although I heard Mozilla is developing something, and probably Google too, but their possibilities are limited because of the runtime restrictions).

The desktop mode is just as before, compatible with Windows 7, all browsers still there etc...

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 07:55:37 PM

Maybe you should try updating your Windows XP before installing any browser. They have an handy "Browser Choice Thing(lol)" to do that and avoid using IE Tongue
On Windows 7 the "Browser Choice Thing" comes pre-installed and with a desktop link.
Not sure about Vista.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 08:41:38 PM

Maybe you should try updating your Windows XP before installing any browser. They have an handy "Browser Choice Thing(lol)" to do that and avoid using IE Tongue
On Windows 7 the "Browser Choice Thing" comes pre-installed and with a desktop link.
Not sure about Vista.
I run Win7. The browser crap thing is installed from windows update. It does not come with Windows installation disc. I install updates manually so I have no bloatware and legal spyware (like browser choice and windows genuine adventure) installed on my PC.

swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 08:46:44 PM

WHAT THE FUCK

Seriously, software is going nuts these days.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 08:48:08 PM

WHAT THE FUCK

Developers are making software for retards (general population) and screwing everything up. It all started with Windows XP

caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 08:56:40 PM

WHAT THE FUCK

Developers are making software for retards (general population) and screwing everything up. It all started with Windows XP

Which is why I'm making it a point to learn about Linux right now, because soon enough, we'll be living in Pirate Cinema.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Death to enemies!

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 09:08:07 PM

WHAT THE FUCK

Which is why I'm making it a point to learn about Linux right now, because soon enough, we'll be living in Pirate Cinema.
I know Linux and can use it. But the lack of native DirectX and Win32 API implementation will never make it successful. I just want to doubleclick and play few rounds in my favorite games when using computer, not using dual boot and two computers simultaneously. Windows7 will be pretty usable for next 6 to 10 years, from that point I have no idea.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 09:44:00 PM

WHAT THE FUCK

I know Linux and can use it. But the lack of native DirectX and Win32 API implementation will never make it successful. I just want to doubleclick and play few rounds in my favorite games when using computer, not using dual boot and two computers simultaneously. Windows7 will be pretty usable for next 6 to 10 years, from that point I have no idea.

I used to think the same thing, i.e.: that Windows was irreplaceable.
Well, not anymore. Took the leap to Ubuntu and for my few Windows needs I fire up a virtual machine, like once a month or so.
Never going back, believe me. But I don't play games, anyway Wink
SätöshiTable

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 10:23:52 PM

i blacklisted microsoft products from my home computers already in the last millenium.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: