Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:54:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks to people who support 1-2 MB blocks - great idea u fools...  (Read 17062 times)
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 08:15:04 PM

so in the end if we have 1MB blocks floating around we'd expect each peer to use ~1.1MB of bandwidth every 10mins for TX propagation.

No, a node needs at least 8 peers to serve its purpose well. If it doesn't the messages risk not being propagated fast enough throughout the whole network.

Do you understand the word "overhead"?

The gossip broadcasting still has to occur between peers and it is valuable for them be well connected.

Stop being under the impression that you are somehow onto novel ideas, you really think too much of yourself.

Not all nodes need to have the same connectivity. It is possible to have very low average connectivity and still have a topology that has a small diameter.  An extreme example  would be a star topology with one node having N -1 connections to the remaining N - 1 nodes, each of which had a single connection.  There would be an average connectivity of about two and transmission would be fast (2 hops).

The most efficient topology (based on propagation time) will be a function of the bandwidth of individual connections and individual nodes.  Using random connections will not be optimal if there is a wide disparity in node performance and network bandwidth.  There are other possible optimizations that will minimize the effect of multiple hop transmissions, particularly of large blocks.  None of these ideas are new, having been well understood in the area of computer networking for decades.  The unique difficulty where bitcoin is concerned is the absence of any central network management and the need to operate under denial of service attacks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 08:20:11 PM

so in the end if we have 1MB blocks floating around we'd expect each peer to use ~1.1MB of bandwidth every 10mins for TX propagation.

No, a node needs at least 8 peers to serve its purpose well. If it doesn't the messages risk not being propagated fast enough throughout the whole network.

Do you understand the word "overhead"?

The gossip broadcasting still has to occur between peers and it is valuable for them be well connected.

Stop being under the impression that you are somehow onto novel ideas, you really think too much of yourself.

Not all nodes need to have the same connectivity. It is possible to have very low average connectivity and still have a topology that has a small diameter.  An extreme example  would be a star topology with one node having N -1 connections to the remaining N - 1 nodes, each of which had a single connection.  There would be an average connectivity of about two and transmission would be fast (2 hops).

The most efficient topology (based on propagation time) will be a function of the bandwidth of individual connections and individual nodes.  Using random connections will not be optimal if there is a wide disparity in node performance and network bandwidth.  There are other possible optimizations that will minimize the effect of multiple hop transmissions, particularly of large blocks.  None of these ideas are new, having been well understood in the area of computer networking for decades.  The unique difficulty where bitcoin is concerned is the absence of any central network management and the need to operate under denial of service attacks.

I'm well aware of that but for Bitcoin to remain robust there is a certain minimum to achieve.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 08:24:39 PM

The issue you only now realize is the lack of well connected peers throughout the network.

The solution is more full nodes.

Surely you also now understand raising the block size is not ideal nor desired as it stands.

as it stands, no i am forced to conclude raising block limit any higher then a few MB's will start to cost to much in terms of bandwidth for home users to stay online.

with optimizations, i believe 500MB block limit will be the absolute limit for most home users.

i think gavin banking on tech improving enough to allow for GB blocks in a matter of years is very optimistic. maybe he doesn't care too much that full nodes no longer run on home networks....

brg444

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 08:29:54 PM

The issue you only now realize is the lack of well connected peers throughout the network.

Surely you also now understand raising the block size is not ideal nor desired as it stands.

as it stands, no i am forced to conclude raising block limit any higher then a few MB's will start to cost to much in terms of bandwidth for home users to stay online.

with optimizations, i believe 500MB block limit will be the absolute limit for most home users.

i think gavin banking on tech improving enough to allow for GB blocks in a matter of years is very optimistic. maybe he doesn't care too much that full nodes no longer run on home networks....

Roll Eyes

Optimizations like everyone running SPV I suppose....

Again, you can "optimize" overhead and inefficiencies, but you still have to communicate the whole block of data. There's no way you get around that.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 08:30:46 PM

Wow i i haven been really up to date on the block size drama in till today again i noticed a 240k volume on transactions since yesterday. talk about waiting for a transaction paying .0001
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 08:49:32 PM

Roll Eyes

Again, you can "optimize" overhead and inefficiencies, but you still have to communicate the whole block of data. There's no way you get around that.

no no no

simple shit like :

1) making sure the gossip network actually does make every peer on average use 503Bytes to get everyone to hear about a 500Byte msg.
2) communicate new blocks by listing all the TX ID's in that block instead of in full.
3) has SOME trusted centralized nodes dedicated to allowing new nodes to sync fast ( probably don't even need to trust them using some fancy PGP or something)
4) and yes some SPV, and maybe different types of nodes, simi-full node, full node, super node, minner node.

wtv it takes.

brg444

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 08:59:34 PM

Roll Eyes

no no no

simple shit like :

1) making sure the gossip network actually does make every peer on average use 503Bytes to get everyone to hear about a 500Byte msg.
2) communicate new blocks by listing all the TX ID's in that block instead of in full.
3) has SOME trusted centralized nodes dedicated to allowing new nodes to sync fast ( probably don't even need to trust them using some fancy PGP or something)
4) and yes some SPV, and maybe different types of nodes, simi-full node, full node, super node, minner node.

wtv it takes.

Yes, your intention are clear. Diverge from the trustless decentralized model of Bitcoin to accomodate more spam.

Hopefully you sell your coins so we can be done with people like you and move away from such toxic attitudes.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 09:03:19 PM

Bitcoin is first and foremost about censorship resistance and decentralization. The rest is bells and whistles.

Everyone needs to understand that.  Time to put this back in my sig.

Resiliency, not efficiency, is the paramount goal of decentralized, non-state sanctioned currency -Jon Matonis 2015

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 09:11:27 PM

Bitcoin is first and foremost about censorship resistance and decentralization. The rest is bells and whistles.

Everyone needs to understand that.  Time to put this back in my sig.

Resiliency, not efficiency, is the paramount goal of decentralized, non-state sanctioned currency -Jon Matonis 2015

if you can trade off a small amount of decentralization for a large gain in efficiency...

it's not so clear cut.

brg444

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 09:14:55 PM

Everyone needs to understand that.  Time to put this back in my sig.

if you can trade off a small amount of decentralization for a large gain in efficiency...

it's not so clear cut.

You're trying to install trusted centralized nodes in the system, gtfo  Angry

Bitcoin will scale beyond its blockchain. Stop trying to figure out ways to break it.

coalitionfor8mb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 09:39:35 PM

I don't know why,
but it sounded a bit like "you can trade off a small amount of freedom for some gain in security"  Grin

Muhahahaha!!!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 10:23:37 PM

it's not so clear cut.

Bitcoin will scale beyond its blockchain. Stop trying to figure out ways to break it.

https://bitcoin.org/en/download

a centralized source of download bitcoin   Shocked

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 10:31:44 PM

Hopefully you sell your coins so we can be done with people like you and move away from such toxic attitudes.

i ain't selling buddy i'm forking along with the 70% of miners  Cool

brg444

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 10:34:48 PM

it's not so clear cut.

https://bitcoin.org/en/download

a centralized source of download bitcoin   Shocked

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 10:39:22 PM

troll ... but ... well :

ed2k
torrent
freenet
dropbox
mega
4shared

Grin find the 3 errors ...
coalitionfor8mb

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 10:40:56 PM

BTW, it currently costs $60 a month to run a full node on a dedicated Microsoft Azure VM. This includes virtual hardware (includes 1 dedicated CPU core) and bandwidth, which is around 600GB a month (mostly outgoing). It is not quite "free" anymore.

By the way, has any of you guys considered running a full node in the cloud, as Soros Shorts suggested above?
Would that solve the problem for at least 8MB blocks? Just wondering...
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2015, 10:47:37 PM

BTW, it currently costs $60 a month to run a full node on a dedicated Microsoft Azure VM. This includes virtual hardware (includes 1 dedicated CPU core) and bandwidth, which is around 600GB a month (mostly outgoing). It is not quite "free" anymore.

By the way, has any of you guys considered running a full node in the cloud, as Soros Shorts suggested above?

why would i do that when i can run it free from home?

i already have unlimited bandwidth

brg444

View Profile
September 17, 2015, 10:48:42 PM

Running a full node "in the cloud" defeats the whole purpose of running a node which is to be independent.

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 05:59:12 AM

no no no

simple shit like :

wtv it takes.
It's disheartening to see how some people want to sacrifice Bitcoin's uniqueness just because they hope that more txs on blockchain will somehow help in their get rich quick scheme. Nothing unexpected, though...

Truth is, there might be optimizations in the relay protocol, but I doubt they are as significant in the grand scheme of things.
LiteCoinGuy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 10:13:32 AM

i ain't selling buddy i'm forking along with the 70% of miners  Cool

75% i guess.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: