Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:49:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to get 100% anonymous bitcoins?  (Read 2195 times)
anonymousbtc (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 10:24:21 AM

Hello bitcointalk,
is it possible to stay (online) 100% anonymous with bitcoin?
I heard about bitcoin mixers but how can I see that it is really impossible for everyone to track the coins?
Read a couple things about the blockchain taint analysis but is there no other way to get the original origin?
Btw. I'm really sorry for my bad english it's not my mother tongue.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 10:37:49 AM

No, it is not. The ledger is transparent and everyone can keep the record of ALL transactions. It is almost possible to stay anonymous as long as nobody knows that Person X is using Address Y. Mixers are not anonymous, but they are used mostly to make it harder for someone to track you. This means that they can still track you but it is harder. However, proceed with caution. There have been a number of mixers that were scams.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
anonymousbtc (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 10:58:21 AM

So you mean for example if I buy the bitcoins with my bank account and then send it through an bitcoin mixer to a completely new address and then withdraw this mixed coins to my wife's bank account. It is possible that somebody could track the money from my wife's bank account back to it's origin (my bank account)? I know it's not the best example but hope you understand what I mean.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:02:36 AM

So you mean for example if I buy the bitcoins with my bank account and then send it through an bitcoin mixer to a completely new address and then withdraw this mixed coins to my wife's bank account. It is possible that somebody could track the money from my wife's bank account back to it's origin (my bank account)? I know it's not the best example but hope you understand what I mean.
Well this example isn't simple either. You have this:
Bank Account ->exchange (or whatever service is used) -> BTC Address > Mixer > Wife's address > exchange > Wife's bank account.

For someone to be able to trace this, they would need to know WHO you and your wife are, and what your addresses are. Obviously using the same exchange (that stores) information isn't helpful either. However, if you are not doing anything illegal and have not publicly stated that you own address XXX, I doubt that anyone will look into this.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:03:10 AM

The way i understand it, a mixer will accept your coins, and after a given interval, they will send different coins of an equal value (-fee) to one or more of your addresses...

If you use a big mixer (having a lot of coins), use TOR or a trustworthy VPN, and they do not keep logs, it is more or less anonymous...

You would have to trust both the VPN and the mixing service tough... But if they do an honest job, it'll be pretty hard to track you down...

There are other ways: using multiple mixers, buying altcoins with extra anonimity functions, depositing and withdrawing on dice sites,.... Everything while using a VPN/Tor offcourse... It would take some planning and carefull review, because making a mistake would make you exposed...

But, this is only my understanding... I can be wrong, don't take my post as a foolproof guide to stay anonymous...

anonymousbtc (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:11:17 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!
And how I know that nobody can track my bitcoins back?
Any other way then the "simple taint check"?
"Simple taint check" = taint analysis of the wallet which received the bitcoins through an bitcoin mixer and then simply press Strg+F and type my origin wallet in the mask. And if there is no listing of my origin wallet in this taint analysis I'm "anonymous" (if my VPN Provider & the mixing service both not logging)
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:21:08 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!
And how I know that nobody can track my bitcoins back?
Any other way then the "simple taint check"?
"Simple taint check" = taint analysis of the wallet which received the bitcoins through an bitcoin mixer and then simply press Strg+F and type my origin wallet in the mask. And if there is no listing of my origin wallet in this taint analysis I'm "anonymous" (if my VPN Provider & the mixing service both not logging)
You can't really know that. You can not know who is looking into your addresses just as you can't know e.g. if someone is searching your name on a search engine. Bitcoin is not anonymous because of the transparent ledger. It is pseudo-anonymous, i.e. if used properly. The other poster pretty much showed you additional ways of making it much harder to track you. Start by using a good VPN (so that no service knows your real IP).

There are other ways: using multiple mixers, buying altcoins with extra anonimity functions, depositing and withdrawing on dice sites,.... Everything while using a VPN/Tor offcourse... It would take some planning and carefull review, because making a mistake would make you exposed...
A combination of coins that offer better anonymity (e.g. Monero, DASH, etc.) in addition to depositing and withdrawing on random sites that do not require you to register should help a lot.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:24:12 AM

not yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5NZvsyAfw

maybe in the future with Sidechains.

everaja

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

~ScapeGoat~

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:25:19 AM

Hello bitcointalk,

Read a couple things about the blockchain taint analysis but is there no other way to get the original origin?

yeah you can remain anonymous with Bitcoin as long as you Follow the Traits of Anony..
Even on Tor you can be Caught if you don't abide their rule .

I heard about bitcoin mixers but how can I see that it is really impossible for everyone to track the coins?
Bixers are good options But some of them are Scam as they run away with big amounts.

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:28:50 AM

Well, theoretically if you use the money received trough the reward of mining a block, you're totally anonymous since it will be the first transaction.
But in pratic this is impossible, people can try mixers, sending money to sites and them withdraw it, but none of those options will help you out of getting 100% anonymous of Bitcoin if people know your address.
You can search around, a few thiefs and scammers got "caught" only by reading the blockchain by knowing the address where the stealed money was sent(but still needs a lot of time to do it).

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
kalooki

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:37:10 AM

The main problem is that the blockchain (as designed) will exist publicly forever. That means analysis tools will get more and more sophisticated and any leaks of information will be immediately aggregated and used to identify controllers of addresses. I predict that in the future as these tools get better most mixed transactions from the past will be completely transparent.

If I meet someone at a meetup and hand him $1000 cash and he sends 4 coins to my address, then nothing links me to those coins. However once I spend them and gain value (goods, services, etc) then any little bit of leakage of data (e.g. a shipping address, etc) will immediately link me to that original 4 bitcoin transaction.

Pro Gamers

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

morir es descansar

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:37:36 AM

Im curios too if we can able to find out if we are being tracked or we are to be tracked, im using a vpn but im not sure if its doing a good job for me currently bluevpn but i have tried many vpns around the internet but i dont know which of them is best for anonymity.
stuff0577

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

More stuff will come.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:49:29 AM

With the transparency offer by the bitcoin blockchain. Its hard to say that anyone can stay 100% anonymous. I guess you wont need that percent value if you are just paranoid with some hacks. Unless you wanted to do something  Grin 

DAILAI Peer-to-peer micro transport services
Mayer Amschel

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:55:11 AM

Unless they are freshly mined bitcoins.

Hours
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:56:49 AM

There are quite a number of coin mixers around and one of them is in my signature. On the site it explains well on the rational why mixing can help to make traceability gets harder.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:58:58 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2015, 12:53:11 PM by LaudaM

Im curios too if we can able to find out if we are being tracked or we are to be tracked,
I could almost declare your post to be off-topic. You didn't even read my post before replying. How would you know if someone is searching your name on various search engines? Unless e.g. Google keeps track of each request and you could get that information from them you would not know. The same applies for your Bitcoin Address. You can't really know if someone is watching it or not. Unless you're doing something illegal, I doubt that anyone will track you (Bitcoin-wise).

im using a vpn but im not sure if its doing a good job for me currently bluevpn but i have tried many vpns around the internet but i dont know which of them is best for anonymity.
Any VPN that uses strong encryption and does not keep logs should be good enough.

If I meet someone at a meetup and hand him $1000 cash and he sends 4 coins to my address, then nothing links me to those coins. However once I spend them and gain value (goods, services, etc) then any little bit of leakage of data (e.g. a shipping address, etc) will immediately link me to that original 4 bitcoin transaction.
Yes, and no. Once you get change from a transaction, you could use for example a Dice website to deposit and withdraw (after a period of time!) to a newly generated address.

Update:
With the use of mixing websites that is possible.
No, it is not.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
killerjoegreece
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1007

Professional Native Greek Translator (2000+ done)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 12:43:31 PM

With the use of mixing websites that is possible.
xhoneyael

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

www.AntiBitcoinTalk.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 12:57:41 PM

Hello bitcointalk,

if you will use mixer  there will be no taint..
you will send your bitcoin in there address and they will send it to you from diffirent address..

Wonka

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 01:03:11 PM

No, it is not. The ledger is transparent and everyone can keep the record of ALL transactions. It is almost possible to stay anonymous as long as nobody knows that Person X is using Address Y. Mixers are not anonymous, but they are used mostly to make it harder for someone to track you. This means that they can still track you but it is harder. However, proceed with caution. There have been a number of mixers that were scams.

You personally can remain anon. For example nobody knows who satoshi really is but they can see a lot of his transactions but can't trace them to his real world identity. You can also use mixers to mask where your coins are going.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 01:07:45 PM

You personally can remain anon. For example nobody knows who satoshi really is but they can see a lot of his transactions but can't trace them to his real world identity. You can also use mixers to mask where your coins are going.
That is a very bad example. You can't use a person who hasn't used Bitcoin for years as a example. A person (if it is one) that did his best to hide his identity from the start. The average user does not fit this description. Someone who is actively using Bitcoin on a few services can not hide his identity. The services (i.e. ones that require ID) keep records of money transferred in and out, in addition to the addresses that you've used. A worse scenario would be if one of those services got hacked and all the information got leaked.

Because the ledger is transparent and permanent, one has to think ahead. If someone gets information in 2020, they can trace it all back to the begging easily (especially considering that there will be advanced tools by then).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: