Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:35:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SUCEFUL: Next-Gen ATM Malware Can Block Cards Inside ATMs  (Read 666 times)
Fakhoury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 05:31:50 PM

News URL : http://news.softpedia.com/news/suceful-next-gen-atm-malware-can-block-cards-inside-atms-491550.shtml

Quote from:  Satoshi Nakamoto
Feb. 14, 2010: I’m sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume.
Pathi

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 12:41:48 PM

Hmm,

I am not too sure about this. Most atm's today just have a swipe pad. The card does not enter the machine. Also the security camera is usually a separate system.

When I worked at a bank(Years ago) If the machine took someone's card they always called immediately and showed up at the bank early the next day demanding their card.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 12:58:11 PM

Hmm,

I am not too sure about this. Most atm's today just have a swipe pad. The card does not enter the machine. Also the security camera is usually a separate system.

When I worked at a bank(Years ago) If the machine took someone's card they always called immediately and showed up at the bank early the next day demanding their card.

Globally there must be plenty of ATMs without swipe pads - until you mentioned I didn't know they existed! (In the UK ATMs still require cards to be inserted. Over the past few years most of them seem to have that blue/green plastic thing that does something to improve security, but that's the only visible improvement).

I'm sure you're right about customers calling their bank, but... whenever an ATM has swallowed my card (admittedly not recently, and only twice) I've called the telephone number on the machine itself (obviously I won't be doing that again!) I'm sure that's true for most people, so they could be easily fooled - particularly if they're using a generic ATM, or an ATM belonging to a different bank (in the UK most bank customers can use other banks' ATMs).

I'm also not too sure how useful security cameras are - it would only take a minute for an adversary with their face masked to remove stolen cards. In the UK the area around the ATM would probably be covered in CCTV anyway, so the adversary would probably wait until it was dark, cover their face, etc.

This space intentionally left blank.
Pathi

Activity: 244

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 01:25:04 PM

Hmm,

Globally there must be plenty of ATMs without swipe pads - until you mentioned I didn't know they existed! (In the UK ATMs still require cards to be inserted. Over the past few years most of them seem to have that blue/green plastic thing that does something to improve security, but that's the only visible improvement).

One of the things I like about this forum is learning about how things work in other country's.

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:24:55 PM

I have no idea how this works but I see on that visual representation thingy that it says "Windows based application".
Are banking apps really running under Windows? whats the point? shouldn't they be using Linux for added security? Damn those guys are crazy. Do ATM machines have anti viruses installed or what?
I wish I knew about the traditional banking system as much as I do about Bitcoin (and I don't know much, but it sure helps being able to read the code because its open source..)
unent

Activity: 326

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:49:48 PM

I have no idea how this works but I see on that visual representation thingy that it says "Windows based application".
Are banking apps really running under Windows? whats the point? shouldn't they be using Linux for added security? Damn those guys are crazy. Do ATM machines have anti viruses installed or what?
I wish I knew about the traditional banking system as much as I do about Bitcoin (and I don't know much, but it sure helps being able to read the code because its open source..)

I don't know if banking apps run under Windows, but I know those high stakes gambling machines do. I once watched a repair technician fixing one, and I could see the windows system while he was doing it. Those things can take thousands of dollars of a single gambler in an hour, though they produce a winnings slip for big wins that you have to exchange for cash. ATMs probably use windows too.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 07:05:04 PM

I don't know if banking apps run under Windows, but I know those high stakes gambling machines do. I once watched a repair technician fixing one, and I could see the windows system while he was doing it. Those things can take thousands of dollars of a single gambler in an hour, though they produce a winnings slip for big wins that you have to exchange for cash. ATMs probably use windows too.

ATMs in Britain definitely use Windows. Until 2004 they ran on OS/2, then migrated to Windows XP. If that sounds terrifying, you should check out "Windows for Warships" - an exciting mix of Windows 2000 and XP!

This space intentionally left blank.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: