Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:26:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WithU - Sexual Assault app - Possibly full of holes? Looking for volunteers  (Read 1005 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:36:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SWunVasNk

Hey guys, I hang out on Reddit ( as you may or may not know already ) and I came across this guy who was posting up an app he was apparently working on himself. It's an app that's supposed to be used in an emergency to make recordings of fights or whatnot if somebody is getting assaulted or abused and it will get your GPS location and transmit it to other nearby users. The thing is though, even as a nice idea and even with my limited knowledge of security I feel like there are way too many holes in it and ways this can be messed with and that's not including the idea of posting up fake recordings to cause hysteria amongst the users.

So I was wondering who I knew that would be able to take a look at this stuff and immediately thought of you lot since you often mess around with this kind of thing, I remember when you were all trying to break 1broker.com. If you're interested it might be a nice thing to do for the guy and I'll link this post to him so he can give you some targets to try and break the app perhaps, let me know what you think of it.

For the record, the original post I'm talking about was put up on the MRA subreddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/3kyxz7/withu_better_than_good2go_and_weconsent/cv1pwsg?context=3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2015, 11:44:26 PM

FYI - a similar product already exists and was featured on the television show "Shark Tank"

http://sharktankblog.com/personal-security-app-emergensee/

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
DMX

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 08:04:17 AM

Unfortunately I think there will be more misuse of this than actual proper use. Nice idea in theory but I don't think it'll work very well.
Nobitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 966

In holiday we trust

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 09:13:02 AM

Possibly full of holes ? Is that some kind of pun ? I certainty laughed  Cheesy
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2015, 12:03:15 PM

Sorry, guys, I'm slow to respond this week because I've caught a cold and I'm on various drugs right now and LOL Nobitcoin I didn't mean that as a pun Tongue

Unfortunately I think there will be more misuse of this than actual proper use. Nice idea in theory but I don't think it'll work very well.

This is what I think DMX, it would be nice if somebody could take a look at the features so this guy can understand where I'm coming from, to be honest though I think even I could fuck with this because all I'd need to do is make a false recording and send out an alert that ends up screwing with people.

I hadn't known there was another one Vod but anyway that's why I knew you were the guys to talk to about this.
MUFC

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 01:09:43 PM

To be honest not only is this open to abuse and I'm no rape expert but is a woman going to have enough time to get her phone out and activate an app whilst she's being assaulted? It would be better trying to just make a rape alarm app that emits a loud noise like regular rape alarms but even that probably wont do much.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2015, 02:45:38 PM

That'd be a dumb idea lol especially if they end up trying to hide "OH LOOK! I'M HERE AND ABOUT TO GET ATTACKED!" Tongue
Slowturtleinc

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:44:09 PM

Tinder for sex offenders?

██████████            Gunthar: Fast and Serious Lending Service
█████████       ●●●● ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● ●●●●
██████████    ●●●● Don't loose your collateral: refinance with us ●●●●
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 07:42:16 PM

The apps we create the more of them that will be used for totally different reasons then they where made for.
DaveTheBrownGuy

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 08:54:49 PM

Sorry for the late reply. There are tons of misconceptions about the way the app works. I'm going to give you a scenario to help illustrate the way the app works. Hopefully this helps to explain things better. I really should create an explainer video, but I am running low on money.

Two characters: John and Jane. John and Jane have not met each other.

John and Jane begin their nights at completely different locations. Right when they start their night, they activate the app. For simplicity sake, they tell their apps to check on them every 30 minutes. John and Jane have been out for 2 hours before they meet each other--so their apps have checked on them individually 4 times with no problems. When they meet each other, they are still at a bar. While they are together at the bar, their apps have checked on then one other time with no problems. They begin to realize that they like each other and want to go home with each other. They bump their phones together: John verifies Jane's profile on his phone and vice versa. Then they decide to catch a cab to Jane's house. When they arrive, Jane's phone checks on her. She says that she feels uncomfortable. This triggers an alert on John's phone, then both voice recorders are activated. They agree that everything is okay and the voice recorders turn off and the phones return to monitoring. During the next half hour, the two begin engaging in sex. John does not respond to his phone and so Jane's phone gets an alert that John is uncomfortable. Both voice recorders are activated. They both agree that everything is okay and mutually agree to turn off the program.

Caveats:
1. Once the profiles are linked, decisions have to be made, mutually. One cannot deactivate the voice record without the other agreeing. Additionally, the program cannot be deactivated without the other agreeing.
2. To unlink the profiles, both parties have to agree or the parties have to separate from each other by a minimum of 500m.
3. This is just one use case. This program can be used in the individual mode for general safety
4. When the voice recorders are activated, both users will receive an alert
5. Each response to "Are you okay?" records the user's response, time, date, and location.
6. All of the information is uploaded to a database and stored
7. This app does not record activity, nor is it a consent agreement. The premise is that if everything is okay, then you are consenting to whatever it is you are doing
8. Emergency messages are sent to emergency contacts (family, friends, etc) and nearby helps. User can choose what information they get.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 09:37:42 PM

Could you not create a similar app for pedophiles? Have them check in every 30 minutes and bing them every 10 minutes to map their days.
Just in case any attacks go down you could instantly pull that data.

The idea you have currently seems to be a app for college crowd kids. Can not imagine having a nice night interrupted who knows how many times to ask if I am okay!
It also bothers me that you have something in the app that allows you to access the microphone. I am sure authorities would love to activate drug dealers cell phones to listen in on deals. I do not like the fact my t.v may be listening in on me,I am not going to put something that potentially could cause me issues later on.

What happens when law enforcement comes calling to see who was in the area,are you going to hand that information over?
DaveTheBrownGuy

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 10:39:19 PM

Sourgummies. Great questions.

If I created an app for pedophiles, then it would be tough to get them to use it. So this app could be used by your kids. They take it with them and it asks them if everything is okay. If they fail to respond or they say something is wrong, then it will give you their GPS location, which consistently updates. In addition to this, a voice recording is stored by our server in case the courts need the information to prosecute the pedophile.

The app is for everyone actually. It can be used by anyone for any situation.

The app wouldn't be intrusive because the timer is set by the user. I could set it to 1 minute or I could set it to 3 hours. In the end, if I want to deactivate while it is linked to another profile, then we simply have to agree to deactivate the apps.

The voice recording only happens, if you say something is wrong or you fail to respond to the question. This is for your own security. In the event that you cannot get to your phone, then it will begin record sounds. This would help in rape and assault cases. In most states, someone cannot record you without your consent. The same goes for this app. As long as you say that everything is okay, then it doesn't record any sounds.

Nonetheless, any recording that are stored by the company are maintained by the company. We are only going to release this information to the courts with a court order.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2015, 11:59:52 PM

If I created an app for pedophiles, then it would be tough to get them to use it.

LOL - I just spit orange juice all over my keyboard.    Cheesy

That was funny.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
OBAViJEST

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 03:17:05 AM

Oh man, if you need a laugh, just visit r/MensRights/

....or you may end up punching your monitor, some real dumbasses over there
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 04:10:29 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2015, 04:21:24 AM by Lethn

There are dumbasses in every group but why exactly did you feel the need to group these people in particular all together? What's so dumb about wanting to keep innocent people out of jail and prevent some real discrimination issues?
DaveTheBrownGuy

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 05:29:50 AM

So I built this concept based on my experience with a false allegation that my ex-wife submitted. She and I were divorced in Feb 2011. In 2014, she claimed that I raped her March 2010. The US Army held me for an entire year investigating the entire issue only to discover that she lied about the whole thing. My ex-wife lied to try to put me in prison so that I would never to get see my son again.

So I know that the app will work because it is something that I could have used to prevent this from happening to me.
DaveTheBrownGuy

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 05:54:59 AM

Vod. Thanks for posting the link to EmergenSee. They've got a great program from what it seems; however, my app is going to be run a bit different so I have different plans for it. Once we release version 1, then we are going to start working on version 2, which will be activated via heart rate and sweat gland monitors.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 05:58:41 AM

Vod. Thanks for posting the link to EmergenSee. They've got a great program from what it seems; however, my app is going to be run a bit different so I have different plans for it. Once we release version 1, then we are going to start working on version 2, which will be activated via heart rate and sweat gland monitors.

So I take it your app with come with external monitors?  Or are you going to rely on a smartwatch?

I don't know if I like your current ideas, but I can see the potential of what you are doing!  Keep it up.

DaveTheBrownGuy

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 09:08:55 PM

So I take it your app with come with external monitors?  Or are you going to rely on a smartwatch?

Vod, so we are planning on pairing our app with this company. http://www.angelsensor.com/
We think that their API would really be useful for our app.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2015, 09:24:34 PM

Let's hope people remember to take it off before sex.   Wink

Good luck sir!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: