Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:46:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hazek's opportune pruning  (Read 2375 times)
Etlase2 (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 05:55:33 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118063.0

Hazek has pruned this thread so that only people who agree with his sentiments have posted. stan.distortion even had a nice, well-thought reply that was in no way trolling.

This is not appropriate behavior for a moderator. If this is policy of the bitcointalk messageboard, there are numerous threads in the economic boards with all kinds of arguments for or against certain economic theory. To my knowledge, hazek has not gone through and pruned the posts which disagree with his point of view in threads he did not start.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:03:15 PM

Anyone who reads the thread in question will find local rules which the OP of this thread was in violation of and they will also find a post that disagrees with my OP but was left alone because it followed local rules. I also split a reply that was off topic but had merit and I left it in the Economics section as it's own new thread.

I was hoping that this thread about "opportune pruning" was going to teach me a novel way someone thought of to cut down the size of the blockchain file while still being a first-class full-citizen node.
Is it worth unignoring Etlase2 to see what the thread is actually about?

Not in my opinion, no.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Etlase2 (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:07:40 PM

Oh so you get to create "local rules" ex post facto because you don't like the responses to your thread, and this isn't an abuse of moderator power? Or is it just because I made you look like a dumbass and your feewings was huwwt?

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:09:30 PM

Oh so you get to create "local rules" ex post facto because you don't like the responses to your thread, and this isn't an abuse of moderator power? Or is it just because I made you look like a dumbass and your feewings was huwwt?

Yeah, anyone can do that and report the posts in violation to moderators.

I saw my thread being derailed by off topic posts and fallacies, so I set rules I initially didn't think I would need. You are more than welcome to follow those rules and post a rebut if you'd like.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:11:06 PM

My reply was quite generously given another thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118224
Thanks for the kind comment Smiley

That post was off topic for the thread though, I hadn't actually watched the video and was posting it as a reply on-topic with other posts in the thread which where also off topic. Maybe the pruning was a bit harsh but I don't honestly think its a bad thing, the subject is a good one and (imho) the mods making their presence felt from time to time could benefit the whole forum.

Thank you for your understanding and you are welcome.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 06:12:46 PM

Etlase2: The bitcoin forum developing over-zealous mods is just a natural development happening in almost any internet community. It may not be useful, but in a way even viruses serve their purpose in nature.
See it as a live study of internet-sociology, intersting times ahead  Wink
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:15:15 PM

Etlase2: The bitcoin forum developing over-zealous mods is just a natural development happening in almost any internet community.
Etlase2 would have less problems with forum moderation if he could make his points without resorting to verbal abuse.
Etlase2 (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:15:29 PM

I saw my thread being derailed by off topic posts and fallacies, so I set rules I initially didn't think I would need. You are more than welcome to follow those rules and post a rebut if you'd like.

You mean like your begging the question fallacy?

Quote from: hazek
Quote from: johnyj
The problem with a fixed money supply:

When economy grows and generated more goods and services, the money are not enough to trade all the new goods, so the value of money increased, and that value increasing caused higher interest rate and hoarding, which further decrease the available money for transaction

And this will hit those with a debt very hard, they could not afford higher and higher interest due to the continuously rising value in money. And those who have a lot of saving are not willing to invest, since the return of just hoarding the money is much higher than investing those money and take business risk

As a result, the economy growth will be stopped and turn to negative, the number of tradable goods and services will reduce, until they become so scarce that their value against money rise again

This possibly is the reason that BTC economy can not grow fast, since holding BTC is much more profitable than invest BTC to generate new business, everyone will just hold BTC

Of course if BTC is not mainly used as a currency but as an investment target, then that is a totally different logic
Interesting theory. The only problem with it is that it doesn't match reality.

Nice try though.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:18:14 PM

He's new. Give it some time. He'll mellow. Almost anyone that is made a mod anywhere will have a phase of moderating in a style that is seen as too harsh or constricting by users. I know I certainly did. It takes a while to find the fine line to walk between the requirements of forum administration and the wishes of the users.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 06:23:51 PM

Etlase2: The bitcoin forum developing over-zealous mods is just a natural development happening in almost any internet community.
Etlase2 would have less problems with forum moderation if he could make his points without resorting to verbal abuse.

Agreed, oh well everybody makes mistakes, and he already lost the argument by resorting to that.
It is just that moderating a forum costs fatique and after a certain time the motivation to try to stay somewhat objective goes out the window. There isn't really an easy solution to that...
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:32:28 PM

Local rules can't be applied to a topic after it has been created. I restored the erroneously deleted posts.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:52:49 PM

I now see I made a big mistake and should have never assumed it is either alright or fair to retroactively set local rules after posts have already been made and apply those rules to those posts.

I apologize to everyone affected by my actions.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 03:38:40 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118063.0

Hazek has pruned this thread so that only people who agree with his sentiments have posted. stan.distortion even had a nice, well-thought reply that was in no way trolling.

This is not appropriate behavior for a moderator. If this is policy of the bitcointalk messageboard, there are numerous threads in the economic boards with all kinds of arguments for or against certain economic theory. To my knowledge, hazek has not gone through and pruned the posts which disagree with his point of view in threads he did not start.

oh yes he has:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118086.0

do i see a pattern here?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 03:40:41 AM

I now see I made a big mistake and should have never assumed it is either alright or fair to retroactively set local rules after posts have already been made and apply those rules to those posts.

I apologize to everyone affected by my actions.

WTF?  i just found this thread.  and you two guys have the temerity to justify your actions of censoring my posts with the ad hominem of "off topic"?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: