Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:58:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Operation Caelus;We will send a bitcoin satellite to space! ESCROW  (Read 8910 times)
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 01:43:38 PM

I think its a very cool venture and wish you the best of luck. Anything that raises awareness of BTC in my books is a good thing. Especially if its in a good way Smiley

Thank you Smiley doing the best i can to raise awareness of this project now Smiley

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 02:07:28 PM

DSI has been working on a very similiar project for a few years (http://deepspaceindustries.com/bitcoin-pioneer-inks-contract-for-satellite-constellation/).

Instead of showing interest and possibly finding synergies with this existing project, curiously, OP completely dismissed it.
Why should we? That project is a constellation of satellites for two private companies that are doing things themselves for their customers, not something that is open source and community built and funded.

Building from scratch is the worst enemy of entrepreneurs and OP doesn't sound like having any experience in this space.
It might be, but we are not building this from scratch. There are numerous companies that provide satellite parts and expertise to cubesat builders. OP doesn't need experience in this field. We can get assistance from experts in the field and building a cubesat does not require having expertise or a degree in this field. A bunch of high schoolers were able to build one and put it into space.

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2015, 08:03:55 PM

DSI has been working on a very similiar project for a few years (http://deepspaceindustries.com/bitcoin-pioneer-inks-contract-for-satellite-constellation/).

Instead of showing interest and possibly finding synergies with this existing project, curiously, OP completely dismissed it.
Why should we? That project is a constellation of satellites for two private companies that are doing things themselves for their customers, not something that is open source and community built and funded.

Building from scratch is the worst enemy of entrepreneurs and OP doesn't sound like having any experience in this space.
It might be, but we are not building this from scratch. There are numerous companies that provide satellite parts and expertise to cubesat builders. OP doesn't need experience in this field. We can get assistance from experts in the field and building a cubesat does not require having expertise or a degree in this field. A bunch of high schoolers were able to build one and put it into space.

Well put mate!

I think some people are missing the point with this project,

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 08:55:51 PM

Very cool idea that may hit some major news lines if acheived. Definately following this!

PS. Also looking forward to you future ciphers Cheesy

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 09:47:27 AM

Very cool idea that may hit some major news lines if acheived. Definately following this!

PS. Also looking forward to you future ciphers Cheesy

Hopefully i'll have a new one done soon Wink

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:15:29 AM

Any updates on how would the CubeSat be? And what would be the estimated budget of this project? I'd like to try my hand at creating a model of the CubeSat if I have the specifications of it. I'm eager to have even the final model of the CubeSat finished! Smiley

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 11:03:33 AM

Any updates on how would the CubeSat be? And what would be the estimated budget of this project? I'd like to try my hand at creating a model of the CubeSat if I have the specifications of it. I'm eager to have even the final model of the CubeSat finished! Smiley

the structure will cost about 2980 Euros, which is the part we're trying to get our hands on now.

here's one look at a finished model

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 04:35:32 PM

oh and also, if we do go with the 2U then it will be 100% taller hehe Smiley

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 04:38:40 PM

How will these puppies be protected from debris flying at a couple of million miles per second through that thing? Or is the size so small that luck should take care of this?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 04:43:15 PM

How will these puppies be protected from debris flying at a couple of million miles per second through that thing? Or is the size so small that luck should take care of this?
It is small enough that it should not be hit.

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2015, 04:46:08 PM

First they're very very small, and the chance of getting hit by debris is very slim, considering how Huge the different spheres are, also when NASA or companies do drop of these cubists into orbit, they often choose a so called ''Debres free zone'' which also lowers the risk of the cubist getting hit.

MovieBTC

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:45:08 PM

you should try to get some blogger to write a few words about the project Smiley

Code: Hello
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:36:17 AM

Actually, if the Satellite is open source and servers a Educational purpose there's a Chance NASA will take it up for free in their ''NASA’s CubeSat Launch initiative (CSLI) '' so that's defiantly worth looking into

I think that might be a possibility only if this
was conducted under the auspices of some university..
And a government agency like NASA helping Bitcoin to
get into space? I find that very implausible...

A private company like Interorbital Systems
is your best bet, and that'll cost about $10K (don't know if they accept BTC  Smiley)

“God does not play dice"
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 01:09:32 PM

First they're very very small, and the chance of getting hit by debris is very slim, considering how Huge the different spheres are, also when NASA or companies do drop of these cubists into orbit, they often choose a so called ''Debres free zone'' which also lowers the risk of the cubist getting hit.

Have you considered trying to contact Silicon Valley with these plans, as well as contacting NASA yet?  I know NASA would be interested, just to generate some extra revenue by putting another satellite in orbit... but I think Silicon Valley is really started to get into the block chain technology and bitcoin in general.  They might be able to really be a big player in contributions and the development aspect.

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 01:56:20 PM

I saw this on Kickstarter, great idea and they are much smaller than I initially thought so would not cause much trouble up there.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 03:02:41 PM

We need to send a big squad of flying nodes into space so we never run out of nodes. 24/7 running space nodes that feed from the energy of the sun, constantly processing transactions. The problem would be to keep it cool so it doesn't malfunction but im sure there are ways around this.

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 05:21:08 PM

Have you considered trying to contact Silicon Valley with these plans, as well as contacting NASA yet?  I know NASA would be interested, just to generate some extra revenue by putting another satellite in orbit... but I think Silicon Valley is really started to get into the block chain technology and bitcoin in general.  They might be able to really be a big player in contributions and the development aspect.

i'm actually writing a few Email as we speak Smiley first one to RPI, since we're using their computer, maybe they'll give us some publicity or what not Smiley

I saw this on Kickstarter, great idea and they are much smaller than I initially thought so would not cause much trouble up there.

Hey! glad someone found it Smiley nope the cubesat wold not cause anyone trouble Wink

For those of you who plan to donate with bitcoins, please PM me or write in the thread (and post a TX) if you wanna be on the contribution page!

also! everyone who donates 5 Dollar+ will get their name launched to space with the Cubesat Smiley

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 07:34:13 PM

i opened a ''Sponsor'' thread with various rewards https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1190600.0

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 09:02:09 PM

also! everyone who donates 5 Dollar+ will get their name launched to space with the Cubesat Smiley

Just five dollars to get your name launched into the orbit? Count me in!  But, I don't really see how that would be possible to write everyones name on the satellite... I would feel you would have probably 200+ names to write on a satellite that doesn't seem that big to begin with.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 09:07:23 PM

Just five dollars to get your name launched into the orbit? Count me in!  But, I don't really see how that would be possible to write everyones name on the satellite... I would feel you would have probably 200+ names to write on a satellite that doesn't seem that big to begin with.
Write it in 1pt font Grin

Or we could put it in a text file on the raspberry pi.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: