Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:45:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my Avalon trashed?  (Read 767 times)
H3nk (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 08:29:56 AM

I've got an Avalon2, and it was working for a few hours yesterday, but later in the evening I noticed, that the fan speeds became very unstable, it goes up and down with an interval of a few seconds.
The power consumption also fluctuates between 150 and 770 Watts.
So I decided to shut it down for the night.
Fired it up this morning, but the same shit is still going on.
Fan 3 shows no temp, I replaced that one with one from an older type of rig, and it was there when it was still working properly.

I know that it's not easy to perform remote diagnostics, but it could as well be, that someone else has encountered similar problems.
Thanks in advance for the help.
https://i.imgur.com/ggAoQvn.jpg

Edit: for some reason the pic isn't shown, it shows the link instead, but it's safe. Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 09:36:55 AM

I've got an Avalon2, and it was working for a few hours yesterday, but later in the evening I noticed, that the fan speeds became very unstable, it goes up and down with an interval of a few seconds.
The power consumption also fluctuates between 150 and 770 Watts.
So I decided to shut it down for the night.
Fired it up this morning, but the same shit is still going on.
Fan 3 shows no temp, I replaced that one with one from an older type of rig, and it was there when it was still working properly.

I know that it's not easy to perform remote diagnostics, but it could as well be, that someone else has encountered similar problems.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: for some reason the pic isn't shown, it shows the link instead, but it's safe. Tongue

First step, how good is your power supply?
Brand, wattage should be enough.

You'll easily find from users here that a good PSU is necessary to handle the constant load asked by a miner.

I suspect that your PSU doesn't like to be loaded that much and drops voltage on the 12v line (but I can be wrong, I don't know the Avalon 2 units at all)

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
H3nk (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 11:18:44 AM

It ain't the PSU that's the culprit, else the system would be rebooting all the time, but that's not the case.
And the rig is a Sinosigma turnkey setup, so it's well designed.
But the good news is, that it's stable for the last few hours, although the hash rate is 1/2 of yesterday's. Roll Eyes
Now it's doing 90G, while it could be doing 1T...
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 02:29:52 PM

Make sure that all wires supplying power are in good condition and connected securely, I think you may have just pushed it too far under some sort of OC/bad environment conditions.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
H3nk (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 04:18:17 PM

Guess wot? Just made the fuck up of the century. Roll Eyes
Mate of mine is moving house, and since the BT has collapsed big time, he decided to give 2 of them cunts to me, 1 200G, and 1 1T...
But I assumed that the biggest case was the 1T, how wrong was I (goes to show that assumption is the mother of all fuck ups Grin), also because the web page of the 1T is proper wank, while the other one looks pretty slick.
To cut a long story short, just fired up the right one, and the cunt is mining away with 1T, so the future looks bright and prosperous! Tongue
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 04:21:00 PM

Mate of mine is moving house, and since the BT has collapsed big time, he decided to give 2 of them cunts to me, 1 200G, and 1 1T...
But I assumed that the biggest case was the 1T, how wrong was I (goes to show that assumption is the mother of all fuck ups Grin), also because the web page of the 1T is proper wank, while the other one looks pretty slick.
To cut a long story short, just fired up the right one, and the cunt is mining away with 1T, so the future looks bright and prosperous! Tongue

I still suggest doing some ROI math.  A lot can depend on electricity price.  Free is a nice price for a miner.

What is your electricity price?  And how many watts is the 1T taking?
BLOCK_C

Activity: 35

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 05:53:34 PM

Looks like it's time to buy a new miner, sorry man.
H3nk (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 08:36:09 PM

I still suggest doing some ROI math.  A lot can depend on electricity price.  Free is a nice price for a miner.

What is your electricity price?  And how many watts is the 1T taking?

There's no such thing as a free lunch, leccy costs ~ € 0,20 over here, so with this BTC rate, it's only costing me. Grin
Looks like it's time to buy a new miner, sorry man.
Don't be sorry, I ain't. Think it's funny stuff to tinker with, if the BTCgoes up, then I'll break even, but it won't make me a mint, that's for sure.
Talking about, since I'm a novice, I'm also clueless about a lot of things, and the thing is, that yesterday with the poor performing rig I mined a whopping BTC 0,00065, but right now with 1T, the balance is still the same piss poor amount after a few hours, so that can't be right...
The only setting I can change, is the difficulty, and that's set on 512, could that be the problem? I can go up to 4096.
Answers on a postcard, please..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: