Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:44:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best OS to run a node? (not sure if correct board)  (Read 2041 times)
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 08:12:02 PM

Best OS to run a node? The OS you understand best.

It's always nice to learn something new though, especially if it does a better job at doing what you're looking for.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 08:57:15 PM

It's always nice to learn something new though, especially if it does a better job at doing what you're looking for.
In that case, have a go at Linux Mint. Or Debian. Good all-around linux distros. If you're more inclined to tinker, try Arch or even Slackware. If you prefer more of an enterprise approach, CentOS is what I prefer.

Or if you really want to have some fun, try one of the BSDs. FreeBSD has the famous ZFS file system, jails, and the ever-popular ports collection. I actually prefer OpenBSD, but FreeBSD (or its user-friendly desktop version, PC-BSD), is easier to use for cryptocurrencies.
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 09:44:09 PM

In that case, have a go at Linux Mint.

I don't think Linux Mint would be a good idea for a server, as it is a desktop oriented distribution.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 11:30:06 PM

In that case, have a go at Linux Mint.

I don't think Linux Mint would be a good idea for a server, as it is a desktop oriented distribution.
I see your point completely, and I almost didn't mention Mint because I don't want anyone to think of it as a server OS; however I'm running full nodes on desktop computers that are not servers. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I am ambivalent towards Mint, and I don't personally use it. I stand by my recommendation that the best OS for running a node is the OS one knows best. Server-oriented OSes are ideal, but you really ought to know what you're doing. I don't endorse Mint, but I people seem to like it and find it easy to use.
allyouracid
Legendary

Activity: 2320
Merit: 1292

Encrypted Money, Baby!

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:09:32 AM

I am ambivalent towards Mint, and I don't personally use it. I stand by my recommendation that the best OS for running a node is the OS one knows best. Server-oriented OSes are ideal, but you really ought to know what you're doing. I don't endorse Mint, but I people seem to like it and find it easy to use.
This is more or less what I meant with my post. Though there are several systems which potentially suit a purpose better, at the end of the day, that means nothing if the user isn't able to configure the operating system to work flawlessly and securely, because he doesn't understand it.

For that reason, I often recommend against using GNU/Linux for new users if it's pretty much clear that they wouldn't have any idea about how to securely use it. And I'm sort of a huge proponent of GNU and Linux based operating systems.

Don't visit my shitcoin blog: OCOIN.DEV
Use cointracking.info for tax declaration & tracking of your trades!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: