Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:59:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin guerrilla marketing on paper money  (Read 15220 times)
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:43:20 PM

Euro banknotes which are mutilated or damaged to a minor degree, e.g. by having annotations, numbers or brief sentences placed on them, will in principle not be considered to be intentionally mutilated or damaged euro banknotes.

Good find. Shops may still reject them, though.

I just ordered 5 35mmx10mm "Bitcoin.org" stamps to give out to some local comrades. Should be a nice fit for the EUR 5 note. Happy day that I was able to do this anonymously and pay in cash next week when I pick them up!

Now I gotta find me some suitably-colored ink.

This is what I have: (£7 inc. postage)

Sorry for the poor quality photo!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitLucky

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:46:23 PM

I just ordered 5 35mmx10mm "Bitcoin.org" stamps to give out to some local comrades. Should be a nice fit for the EUR 5 note. Happy day that I was able to do this anonymously and pay in cash next week when I pick them up!

Now I gotta find me some suitably-colored ink.

If you're able to source them, please consider offering a Bitmit listing for these stamps. I'm sure there would be some interest in them.

D.I.Y. HERE and see results above ^
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:18:34 PM

[

Very cool! Much more efficient with stamps!

sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:31:08 PM

I have been selling an item that could be miss-used for this purpose.  There is a DRM system contained within* that attempts to prevent the stamper from being used on money but if the stamp is used at an off angle the system does not always recognize that it is stamping on money and allows the ink deposit. 

http://cryptoanarchy.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=88

Too bad you do not have one:

LEARN HOW TO:
ScrewBanks.net
WeUseCoins.com

Simple and too the point. Too bad the What Is Bitcoin? video is not under the Screw Banks video. Don't underestimate the anger people have at the banks for all the bailouts, etc.

mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:28:34 PM

This is what I have: (£7 inc. postage)

These look great! What all did you get for your 7 quid exactly?

I'll be collecting my stamps on Tuesday from a local vendor. I didn't put any kind of border on mine like on yours. I may be wrong about it but I suspect the chances of having a merchant reject a note would be higher in the case of a stamp with a border since it's more eye-catching. Will be interested to hear about your experience.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
BitLucky

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:32:23 PM

These look great! What all did you get for your 7 quid exactly?

I'll be collecting my stamps on Tuesday from a local vendor. I didn't put any kind of border on mine like on yours. I may be wrong about it but I suspect the chances of having a merchant reject a note would be higher in the case of a stamp with a border since it's more eye-catching. Will be interested to hear about your experience.

For 7 quid I got a customised self-inking stamp (see ebay link). It's good - I've stamped ~30 notes and not once have I been rejected. Normally I just show the reverse side to the vendor but it doesn't really matter either way. It takes a while for the ink to dry once stamped, and it does rub off eventually. So I would probably get a permanent, quick drying one next time. And maybe not black ink because it shows through the note slightly.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 06:27:52 PM

Here another bunch of bills ready to go into the wild!

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 10:09:39 AM

This is a brilliant idea! Although I would suggest "weusecoins" more then "bitcoin.org".

more or less retired.
Arto (OP)
Donator

Activity: 213

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 03:28:30 PM

Here another bunch of bills ready to go into the wild!

Very nice! You Canadians are certainly rocking this thread in terms of putting words to action Cool

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 03:56:21 PM

This is a brilliant idea! Although I would suggest "weusecoins" more then "bitcoin.org".

I would definitely suggest tu use something with the word bitcoin in it. Maybe bitcoin - better money or free money, ...

People that follow a link that they have no clue what it is about, will as well google a word and with this word being bitcoin, the message is clearer for those that know a little bit. Imagine somebody asking in a round of friends/the person who gave him the bill "what is weusecoins.org?" over somebody asking "what is bitcoin?".

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Arto (OP)
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 04:05:14 PM

I would definitely suggest tu use something with the word bitcoin in it. Maybe bitcoin - better money or free money, ...

People that follow a link that they have no clue what it is about, will as well google a word and with this word being bitcoin, the message is clearer for those that know a little bit. Imagine somebody asking in a round of friends/the person who gave him the bill "what is weusecoins.org?" over somebody asking "what is bitcoin?".

Exactly. As I said earlier in the thread, having curious people google "bitcoin" would probably be the best thing to do. Let Google sort them out.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:09:19 PM

Please excuse me (instead of attack me) if I’m wrong but isn’t it illegal everywhere to deface money? You are all posting pictures with the money you have defaced. If some government had a pet peeve against Bitcoin they might want to come after you to set an example. Or do you guys just think this is so unlikely that you’re going to do it anyway?
Not illegal in Canada  Wink
Arto (OP)
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 04:12:32 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2012, 04:30:22 PM by Arto

Please excuse me (instead of attack me) if I’m wrong but isn’t it illegal everywhere to deface money? You are all posting pictures with the money you have defaced. If some government had a pet peeve against Bitcoin they might want to come after you to set an example. Or do you guys just think this is so unlikely that you’re going to do it anyway?

I can't speak for anyone else, but the jackboots are perfectly welcome to come after me for the illicit euro-note scribblings I've posted photos of. The publicity from that would only help spread the notion far and wide Cool

However, read earlier in this thread for the fine print on what various states consider to be acceptable defacement of the paper money they issue. In short, nothing much to worry about as far as anybody posting photos so far is concerned.

UPENtXF

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:19:53 PM

A color printer works nicely:  past discussion from the days when BTC was ~1USD...  Cool

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
https://bisq.network/
kayrice

Activity: 104
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:44:43 PM

My turn! http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1285rl/i_write_bitcoinorg_on_1_and_sometimes_5_billswhat/
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 12:21:02 AM
Last edit: October 29, 2012, 01:23:32 AM by moni3z

This is not new, I remember in the 1990s GG Allin had his fans write 'GG Allin' on every bank note they could find. There was also a track this dollar bill website where you would write on the bill the website address, then enter the serial number to see where it has been and add your own info. I think the page was shutdown as apparently it is illegal to deface currency.

Also in Canada there was the give the Queen a hitler moustache minor movement for awhile Smiley

EDIT.. guess this isn't illegal sites are still up
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1042

👻

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 05:53:32 AM

Saw it on reddit but this is pretty stupid really. People will think BTC is just a childish currency with anarchists or what.
mikegogulski

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 12:14:27 PM

Not illegal in Canada  Wink

Ah, that’s why I don’t see any US dollars in this thread. I just thought the laws might be similar. They do it on dollars too with the “Where’s George” thing but that’s just for laughs. It’s not like Bitcoin where some government might want to get revenge on a person using some obscure law. Thanks!

Once upon a time in Orlando there was a head shop that sold stamps and green inked pads for putting a speech bubble above Washington's head on the $1 note that read "I grew hemp". All the ones coming out of their till as change to customers were stamped. They never had a problem.

mikegogulski

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 12:22:27 PM

My stamps came in last week:

So far I've put at least 15 into circulation, zero hassle from merchants.

istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:05:42 PM

This is a great way to get people to think Bitcoin is a joke by some teenagers...

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: