Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:29:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The ultimate S5 mega-enclosure... Maybe...  (Read 2962 times)
MarkAz (OP)

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:41:21 AM

Wow really nice setup! I have 3 S5. Will like to know if I could order you a setup for 3.

Thanks - it actually doesn't really lend itself to smaller builds, the right cost per unit started around 20 units or so I think, which is why it houses 24.  Once J4bberwock makes his new PSU, I think I can increase the density a fair bit, and probably get closer to 30 or maybe 36 in the enclosure.  I also have sound soundproofing foam I may put inside of it to help reduce the sound, not that it's that bad.

I like the modular design like you said a row can be upgraded with new plates as new miners with a new foot print come out and you upgrade but for me its always been a project do build something to try and capture and channel the heat where i want it to go my first version was a bunch of cardboard boxes with a few High CFM barrel fans ducted out the window to keep the room ambient temp lower and it worked so this could help take that up a notch and be even more efficent then my card board box method  Grin

It's going to be pretty hard to beat the price/performance of card board boxes.  Wink

In all seriousness, I used wood for the panels, but I was originally planning on using some sort of plastic - I figured it would be lighter weight and probably cost less.  But in the end it came down to what Home Depot had in stock, so wood it is.

I'm on the hunt for an S7, so I'll be adding it in the mix to see how it works...

Next rev huh. Must be making enough on the mining then and your power is paid for with it. Am guessing free energy or very cheap and working out good for you. What is your current cost on kw/h and what you actually making profit to equipment wise. Sure would like to get an idea as this makes me want to buy more equipment but UK prices are stupid on import tax and also energy cost to use.

Arizona is pretty good, my residential rate is 0.08c and commercial is under 0.06c... I've found a way to get under 0.05c as well, which I'll be spinning up next month.  TBH, as the efficiency of these miners get better, it becomes a lot less about power and alot more about noise and heat. 

One super-easy change I haven't tested yet, but plan to, is moving the fan inside the case instead of outside - this should be dual benefit.  The first is that I don't need to cut a spacer between the case and the fan anymore, as the insert is the spacer.  The second is that the fan is completely inside the enclosure, so should be somewhat quieter as well.  What held me back from doing this before was mounting becomes a bit trickier (I need a 2x size removal, not 1x), and I wasn't sure about exposing the fans for prolonged periods of hot air - since all the ambient air around them would be very hot relative to intake air.  Of course the intake air should cool the fan motor itself, but still not sure about the long term effects.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:55:46 AM

Very well done. What was the estimated cost of the build? also, are there any plans that you have for others to look at for construction?
BTC LOVER

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Bitcoin for the Charity :)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:06:37 AM

wow that rig is quit amazing dude - nice work Smiley

Keep this up Cheesy Hopefully difficulty will not increase :O

regards
BTC LOVER
MarkAz (OP)

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:21:23 AM

heheh, thanks!  Here's the latest version, but I'm doing (hopefully) the final small tweaks:

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: