Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:15:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to all the old timers?  (Read 3899 times)
pitbully2000 (OP)

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 11:42:12 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum to post this.
Wondering where they went...I used to lurk around here and it was easy to simply ignore the shills on both ends and obtain some real wisdom.
Now it seems like overwhelming majority either bought at $800+ and are mad about it, or they fall into 2 catagories of extremist thoughts ie;moon or failed experiment. I'm long...guess I'm a bull"tard" lol (who's the genius that came up with that moniker)? and I don't trade. For a few years now, I buy small and slow...would really like to hear from some of the jedis I used to see here. Did they all stop visiting, or did they get tired of meaningless posts declaring fate of btc to be either dead or best thing since sliced bread?
 I just read through the speculative board and I see wonderful topics that, if discussed like intelligent adults, would really be beneficial to the entire community. But those (very relevent) topics are plauged with nonsense. How is an old Bulltard like myself supposed to learn anything new?
 Bah...guess I really DO sound old, huh? Go ahead and clown on my post but please, if anyone knows where the new playground is...help me out and link me up.
Ty for listening.
~the pitbully

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 11:54:28 PM

During less volatile accumulation periods many folks, bears and bulls, tend to chill out and do other things w/ their time. This is pretty much the case for some of the old timers around here at this point.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:18:11 AM

I think a few of the old guard went to cryptocrypt but I think you had to be invited or something. I guess if you came of age between 2010-2012 you might find the ever increasing volume here hard to take.
pitbully2000 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:15:04 AM

During less volatile accumulation periods many folks, bears and bulls, tend to chill out and do other things w/ their time. This is pretty much the case for some of the old timers around here at this point.

That actually makes a lot of sense Smiley
Thanks Chef!
pitbully2000 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:21:07 AM

I think a few of the old guard went to cryptocrypt but I think you had to be invited or something. I guess if you came of age between 2010-2012 you might find the ever increasing volume here hard to take.

Yeah...it's certainly been awhile. Used to be a very interesting read from some pretty heavy thinkers. Guess that sounded pretty jaded...not my intention.
 Just poking around wishing there was some action. Funny thing is, I used to wish real hard for some stability...now I think I'm bored lol Smiley
Thanks Gentlemand
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 02:19:29 AM

That's a sign of the times to come. You won't get the growth you want or adoption w/o average everyday people coming on board. And with that, less shiny material to read. That's what all the developers and app makers are doing is taking the  over the head stuff and making things a lot more chilled for the plebs.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 07:41:04 AM

Pretty much what Ramsay said just lurking and watching at the sidelines for now
Letting the devs have their debate and awaiting the halving Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 10:01:17 AM

Remember that linuxfoundation forum post that claimed to be from Satoshi that discussed the block size? There are posts by other old timers in that thread like one by Laszlo Hanyecz (the guy that swapped 10k Bitcoins for two pizzas). Other old timer heavyweight posters in that thread include Peter Todd, Gregory Maxwell, and Jeff Garzik, Laszlo Hanyecz hasn't posted here since February 20, 2014 and last logged in here on August 15, 2014 under his bitcointalk account name of laszlo. However he's still posting on the linuxfoundation forum, which seems to be where the other old timers have gone.

http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/thread.html#10238
farting_shot

Activity: 318
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:57:58 PM

The old timers have seen how things have changed over the bitcoin landscape. No more excitement. No more "To Da Moon." They have seen the writing on the wall. The old timers have moved on to bigger and better things.
ilikemandarin

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:04:40 PM

Old timers will come back for sure one day.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 01:31:09 PM

When I started, I was primarily active in the speculations sub-forum. Back then I was also "thinking in USD, and not in BTC".

This has changed.

I'm a perma bull with long term perspective.

At this point I acknowledge that I have no crystal ball, and therefore speculation equals risk to lose precious coins, at least for me.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 07:48:58 PM

Wondering where they went...I used to lurk around here and it was easy to simply ignore the shills on both ends and obtain some real wisdom.
Now it seems like overwhelming majority either bought at $800+ and are mad about it, or they fall into 2 catagories of extremist thoughts ie;moon or failed experiment. I'm long...guess I'm a bull"tard" lol (who's the genius that came up with that moniker)? and I don't trade. For a few years now, I buy small and slow...would really like to hear from some of the jedis I used to see here. Did they all stop visiting, or did they get tired of meaningless posts declaring fate of btc to be either dead or best thing since sliced bread?
 I just read through the speculative board and I see wonderful topics that, if discussed like intelligent adults, would really be beneficial to the entire community. But those (very relevent) topics are plauged with nonsense. How is an old Bulltard like myself supposed to learn anything new?
 Bah...guess I really DO sound old, huh? Go ahead and clown on my post but please, if anyone knows where the new playground is...help me out and link me up.
Ty for listening.
~the pitbully

I think most of them are to bored to read the forum and visit it from time to time only to check "Lets talk about Asian girls" in Off topic part of forum.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:21:31 PM

Ty for listening.
~the pitbully

I guess they have all just got tired of fighting all these trolls on this forum nowadays. As you can see, there are too many of them.

All of the older timers have probably just stashed their coins into the cold storages and took a break of this forum. Too much drama going on here lately.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:28:32 PM

I have to admit that in long periods of slow price regression me too gets a bit bored and just wants to read a bit without posting too much. Recent pump to 300 raised activity on all member levels I guess, which is now fading again.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 08:27:46 AM

Yes, it's peak troll out there, I am quite bored of it. I'm still long term bullish but can't be bothered arguing about it ATM Smiley

Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 10:21:28 AM

Some died. Not everybody can survive.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 10:48:34 AM

like everything else, for many it was seen as a trend only for a quick buck, when they realized that there was no quick buck they left the scene

some of them , i'm sure have acquired a good fortune other have lost tons of money, it's how everything work as usual...
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:09:49 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2015, 01:32:27 PM by abercrombie

Old timers are in hibernation.

Every time the price spikes, I see a lot more traders in the OTC markets.

For example, last week's pop from the 227 to 336 saw a 25% increase in OTC traders trying to get rid of their coin.

As the price drops, more get stuck holding the bag.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:12:44 PM

Yes, it's peak troll out there, I am quite bored of it. I'm still long term bullish but can't be bothered arguing about it ATM Smiley

The trolling's pretty subdued too. There used to be plenty of them. Now there's just a few holdouts who'd still be trolling if a coin was a million dollars and suckled on their phallus.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:25:40 PM

The reasons above are all true, but the "creative moderation" that twisted legitimate debate and discussion about the bifurcating future of Bitcoin as either a person-2-person or settlement network into altcoin censorship gave this forum a final huge kick in the nuts.  It was a huge loss-of-confidence in the impartiality of this forum regardless of which side you were on.

And whether you agreed or disagreed with the author of the GCBU thread about that issue, the fact remains that he provided an awesome distillation of and commentary on current world economic events.  GCBU readers would then pop off and comment on other threads in speculation. 

Basically this forum and bitcoin discussion as a whole just had its Mt. Gox moment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: