Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:57:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When MTGOX creditors are given remaining BTC/fiat what will happen?  (Read 2620 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 05:06:53 AM

Speculate.  Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 05:25:37 AM

They will find new and interesting ways to lose it.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Fiat_Hodler

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 06:48:38 AM

They will find new and interesting ways to lose it.
I laughed but I know I shouldnt have.

They will probably hodl since they purchased at much higher prices.

I think that is what happened with many chinese investors who bought in at the 1k price. They are waiting to dump as soon as the price rises to the old value. IF we sit on the current low price for long enough they will slowly give up hope and dump. Then when there is a rise there will be less BTC dumpers.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:57:13 AM

they have not much choice other than to hold it. don't think most of the people will sell as they see it somewhat as a gift as a lot of them already gave up.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:15:27 PM

Is it possible they get their btc or fiat back? I have not followed this matter.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:23:15 PM

They'll find that most of it was eaten to pay for the honour of bankruptcy. What remains, hookers and blow.
farting_shot

Activity: 318

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:59:30 PM

Nothing will happen. As usual.
ilikemandarin

Activity: 150

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:00:10 PM

Never i'm afradi.
That was a very bad story.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:07:48 PM

They'll find that most of it was eaten to pay for the honour of bankruptcy. What remains, hookers and blow.

Well, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is - of the money recovered, there's $10 million left after expenses.

The bad news is - the bankruptcy trustee has decided to allow himself more time to burn through the remaining $10 million investigate claims.

This space intentionally left blank.
Shiver

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 06:20:55 PM

When it looked like something was wrong with their behaviour I moved out 80% of my holdings that were in their hands elsewhere, and the remaining 20% I asked for in cash (well, money), just to test it.  I got the BTC portion, but never got the cash portion.  It was an amount that is a long time ago and water under the bridge, and not life changing.  I did file a claim, though I have little hope of seeing any of it really.

Edit:  I've been wondering for a while, if you had a very substantial amount of assets, where is safe to keep it these days, even if you're not looking for interest, but absolute security?
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 06:29:42 PM

they have not much choice other than to hold it. don't think most of the people will sell as they see it somewhat as a gift as a lot of them already gave up.

Honestly from a purely empathetic point of view...

People who lost money with MTGOX are probably hurting right now financially so I would think they would cash out what they can just to pay bills etc.

Some people probably have families and this hit them hard.

Angry

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

pitbully2000

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 07:17:55 PM

^^^
What he said Smiley
Auxi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 07:23:45 PM

The big dump ever, now... they hate bitcoin
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:32:42 PM

Half of them will sell, half of them will hold and maybe wait to dump on the price rise, possibly at the level where they got in.

All of these are things that Bitcoin must survive if it's meant to be anything huge in the future. This is the way I see it. Also this returning of funds should take place next year if I am not mistaking, I hope we will see a rise in price because of the halving until then.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:41:50 PM

Well, if it were me, and thankfully it wasn't, I would've already written those coins off in my mind and anything that does arrive is a sweet bonus. That being the case I'd buy myself a wee treat or two and then park the rest for the long haul.
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 09:37:49 AM

People who lost money with MTGOX are probably hurting right now financially so I would think they would cash out what they can just to pay bills etc.

Angry

O c'mon. They had more than half of a year to take their coins out. Only speculators lost coins because of MtGox.  
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 09:57:08 AM

Angry

O c'mon. They had more than half of a year to take their coins out. Only speculators lost coins because of MtGox.  
What do you mean?
No we aren't speculators. We are mid-adopters who got betrayed by our faith in centrally controlled financial institutions.
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 10:07:53 AM
Last edit: September 24, 2015, 12:04:42 PM by gotmilk_

Angry

What do you mean?
No we aren't speculators. We are mid-adopters who got betrayed by our faith in centrally controlled financial institutions.

When MtGox suspended USD deposits/withdraws that was a clear sign for leaving it. Even after they suspended EUR/PLN/JPY deposits/withdraws users have enough time to withdraw coins.
Sorry but those who left coins on MtGox after those events are speculators for me...
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 01:12:24 PM

Sorry but those who left coins on MtGox after those events are speculators for me...

Degenerate gamblers in its death throes. During its final seizures there were people wiring thousands of dollars to obtain 'cheap coins'.

When I first got interested in BTC it was screamingly obvious that Gox was a heap of shit, even when it appeared healthy. I had zero interest in going anywhere near it with two minutes of googling.

It just goes to show how far removed Bitcoiners were from real life when a site that fucking creaky and shitty was considered the Fort Knox of coinland.
biggus dickus

Activity: 310

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 03:35:57 PM

Angry

What do you mean?

When MtGox suspended USD deposits/withdraws that was a clear sign for leaving it. Even after they suspended EUR/PLN/JPY deposits/withdraws users have enough time to withdraw coins.

I thought Gox abruptly stopped all Bitcoin withdrawals in response to the transaction malleability bug over a month before it went bankrupt. According to a Gox press release users could still withdraw EUR/PLN/JPY after Bitcoin withdrawals were stopped, although I think Gox had a monthly limit on fiat withdrawals.

I know that Gox was selectively delaying fiat withdrawals for months before it went bankrupt. Nonetheless users probably stood a better chance of withdrawing fiat than Bitcoins after transaction malleability.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mtgox-statement-on-withdrawals-2014-2?IR=T

Dear MtGox Customers and Bitcoiners,

As you are aware, the MtGox team has been working hard to address an issue with the way that bitcoin withdrawals are processed. By "bitcoin withdrawal" we are referring to transactions from a MtGox bitcoin wallet to an external bitcoin address. Bitcoin transactions to any MtGox bitcoin address, and currency withdrawals (Yen, Euro, etc) are not affected by this issue.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: