Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:06:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the physical coins are made ?  (Read 997 times)
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:02:55 AM

Hello everyone ! I have a question : how the physical coins are made ? Does their QR code is printed on it ? Or there is everything printed on a paper shipped with it ? Thank you to reply me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tonycamp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:13:02 AM

i only know its commemorative medals of bitcoin no physical coins and that its market prices like ebay

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:15:28 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2015, 09:44:17 PM by odolvlobo

Typically, the private key is printed on a piece of paper and placed under a tamper-resistant sticker attached to the coin. There are some variations of this method.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:18:00 AM

Typically, the private key is printed on a piece of paper and placed until a tamper-resistant sticker attached to the coin. There are some variations of this method.

Thank you  Smiley. So the coin ca be used without the coin (a bit paradoxical) ?
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 09:53:42 AM

Typically, the private key is printed on a piece of paper and placed until a tamper-resistant sticker attached to the coin. There are some variations of this method.

Thank you  Smiley. So the coin ca be used without the coin (a bit paradoxical) ?

Exactly like this! The private key is all it matters. Coin itself is just a nice thing to show off to your friends. Smiley

Is it paradoxal? Yes it is. Just like a use of coin in the name Bitcoin and it's actually a line of code or a line of characters which constitute your private key, not a coin at all.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2015, 08:09:32 PM

If you watch The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin, you can see how physical bitcoin make, it's demonstrated by Casascius Coin, also you can see their faq: https://www.casascius.com/faq.aspx for get more information about how physical coins actually make. Sadly they service has not accept an order anymore.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 09:26:56 PM

Some like silver wallets you put your own in.  You get instructions on how to make it and put it in coin, then cover with special sticker.  Others are pre-done.  Some come loaded (or filled with BTC), others have no btc in them.   It varies greatly depending which coin you are talking about.

But in general they all work the same way in cold storage with paper wallets.
X-Cotton

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:27:54 AM

Just curious about this: What's to stop the person who put the private key on the piece of paper from keeping a copy of the private key?
sukamasoto
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

Black Panther

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 02:35:09 AM

Hello everyone ! I have a question : how the physical coins are made ? Does their QR code is printed on it ? Or there is everything printed on a paper shipped with it ? Thank you to reply me.

I just saw Ognasty coin video was being made by a laser.
I bet that things won't be so cheap and it's really worth since the coin design with care , have a hologram so it's quite beautiful

▄._      
                                       ▀█████████▀ 
                                     ,▄▓████████   
                                ╓▄▓███████████▀   
                           ╓▄▓███████▀╙.  ▀█     
                      ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄▄▄▄███         
                 ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄,  ▓███████        
           .▄▄▓██████▀▀╙▄▄▓████▌ ████████         
      .▄▄███████▀▀╙▄▄  ▐███████▌ ████████         
 .▄▄███████▀▀ ▐▄▄▓████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
╙█████▀▀▐▄▄▓  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████        
 ╙▀ ▄▄▓█████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████             
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:03:53 AM

Just curious about this: What's to stop the person who put the private key on the piece of paper from keeping a copy of the private key?

You have to trust the person that makes the coin. That is why DIY coins have little resale value.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:06:23 AM

You have to trust the person that makes the coin. That is why DIY coins have little resale value.

Unless they are not put together.  I have a silver wallet never used as I wanted to keep it new.   I think a lot of DIY are not used and put in safe keeping.

But I will admit even on well known ones I have always been afraid of having to trust a 3rd party who puts coins together.  I don't think we have seen any problems on it, just scares me personally.
ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 05:16:24 PM

I think there are nothing can stop, except you make your physical coins for yourself. I think the creator of physical coins is need to prove their real-world identity.

Like casascius business: https://www.casascius.com/faq.aspx
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:51:16 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2015, 07:08:05 PM by jbrnt

But I will admit even on well known ones I have always been afraid of having to trust a 3rd party who puts coins together.  I don't think we have seen any problems on it, just scares me personally.

I worry about that all the time. This is why I am reluctant to buy a loaded physical coin.

Trust would be a problem when bitcoin is worth multiple-orders higher than the price today. Coin makers will not use all of the coined keys, that would be too obvious. Just take any 1 key and no one would suspect.  Lips sealed
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:32:37 PM

But I will admit even on well known ones I have always been afraid of having to trust a 3rd party who puts coins together.  I don't think we have seen any problems on it, just scares me personally.

I worry about that all the time. This is why I am reluctant to buy a loaded physical coin.

Trust would be a problem when bitcoin is worth multiple-orders higher than the price today. Coin makers will not use all of the coined keys, that would be too obvious. Just take any 1 key and no one would suspect.  Lips sealed

I just would have a problem keeping a ton in it.  Maybe a 1 btc coin and let it sit for years.  But I personally like to do it myself.

I like the coins that allow you to do the paper yourself.  It just makes me feel more secure.   And I know some of the big coins are considered very trusted, I just am extra cautious.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:06:45 PM

I like the coins that allow you to do the paper yourself.  It just makes me feel more secure.   And I know some of the big coins are considered very trusted, I just am extra cautious.

Yes, I would buy blanks to load myself for keep. For gifts, I just print paper wallets with a cools designs.  Cheesy
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 09:28:53 PM

Yes, I would buy blanks to load myself for keep. For gifts, I just print paper wallets with a cools designs.  Cheesy

The one that is just the most insane is the 1 500 btc bar that still is loaded - http://casascius.uberbills.com/?type=500 .    There is someone right now who has the Casascius bar with 500 btc on it.   

And it's hard to tell it's actual worth.  It is crazy think of it's value to physical coin collectors.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: