Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:33:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Trust in the forum?  (Read 937 times)
pilscoop (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 11:20:12 PM

What is this Trust rating all about?
How do you get it?
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GermanGiant

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 11:40:47 PM

This is how 99% of people in this forum have gained trust. So, 99% people wont tell you how they really did it and would definitely misguide you...

Another way to get lots of trust quickly is to buy it - but you have to be a bit sneaky about it because trust buying is frowned upon here. So don't tell anyone you are buying trust.

Do lots of giveaways, games, crazy offers; make people happy. There's no trust involved but they will give you really good trust ratings anyway.

Make yourself into a popular, likeable character with plenty of goodwill towards yourself. That way the 1% who are smart enough to figure out your game will be silenced by the 99% fooled by your game.

-BPB

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 12:45:41 AM

it's a reputation system. you get it by doing trades. well, mostly.

the above quote was meant to be a joke. the accumulated btc you'll be giving away will be much much much much higher than what you can get with your reputation.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 12:50:10 AM

the above quote was meant to be a joke. the accumulated btc you'll be giving away will be much much much much higher than what you can get with your reputation.

You would be surprised how many benefits come with being trusted. Just be honest all of the time and keep a level head when things get crazy here. It takes years to build up a good reputation and only one bad move to ruin it.
jacee
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 12:51:14 AM

It's a user reputation. High +ve trust means you are a trusted member in here and you do things that helps the community. High -ve trust means you are causing troubles in this forum, you are a scammer a troll or something like that.

Trust ratings helps things to bw much easier when it comes to trading and all. People trust you then you are a good member.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 12:53:20 AM

You would be surprised how many benefits come with being trusted. Just be honest all of the time and keep a level head when things get crazy here. It takes years to build up a good reputation and only one bad move to ruin it.

I have direct experience with this.  I lost my cool one night under a lot of pressure and did something I shouldn't have.  I lost over 30 trust points.   Undecided

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 01:14:45 AM

There are two important factors with the Trust system. Trust, and Feedback. A lot of people get these two things confused.

Feedback is exactly what you think it is. Someone leaves you a remark on your feedback page that describes deals you have done with them and for what Bitcoin value. You can leave a positive, negative, or neutral feedback. If you look through the market sections, you will see people have numerical scores and colors next to their name under their trust. I'll get into that in a second.

Trust comes in depths, 0,1,2,3, or 4. By default, users will see up to depth 2, but that can be configured by each user. I will come back to the depths in a moment.. As a fresh account you will trust Yourself and Default Trust which is a list created by Theymos, and is a suggested list of who to trust. You can add any individuals you would like to your trust list. The main point I want to get across is "Trust" is not who you trust to do transactions, that is what Feedback is for. "Trust" in lamens terms is in charge of showing you feedback from people who's word you trust.

Heres an example:

You and I have done a trade for a 1TH miner for 1BTC. We are both happy with how things went down, and we each leave each other positive feedback for the amount of 1 BTC with a description of the deal. As I said before, you will always trust yourself so you will see that feedback you left for me as "Trusted Feedback"

On the flip side, I do the same deal with GenericUserA who you don't have added to your trust list, you will see the feedback details in the "Untrusted Feedback" section. If you have GenericUserA on your trust list, you will see their feedback as "Trusted Feedback" in the same way you would if you left it yourself.

Back to the depths, essentially it is just a hierarchy tree. Lets say you trust GenericUserA. You would be on depth 0 and GenericUserA on depth 1. GenericUserA adds GenericUserB to their trust list, then You would be on depth 0, GenericUserA on depth 1, and GenericUserB on depth 2, and so on and so on.

Major point here, keep in mind that each and every trust list is independent of each other. Each user will see feedback for others in different ways based on who they trust individually. The only time when trust lists interact is when you trust users who have their own trust lists. Going back to the last example where you were on depth 0, GenericUserA was on depth 1, and GenericUserB was on depth 2 for your trust list. If I add you to my trust list, my trust list will then show Me at depth 0, you at depth 1, GenericUserA at depth 2, and GenericUserB at depth 3. Its a bit confusing at first, but once you realize that its all just hierarchical views of inherited trust it simplifies a bit.

ABitNut

Activity: 764

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 01:33:29 AM

I can only agree with the last part, it takes only one bad move to become public to ruin your trust. But it takes (probably far) less than a year to get a good reputation (on a new alt account). This is what con men do. They're good at gaining trust.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 04:35:24 AM

I can only agree with the last part, it takes only one bad move to become public to ruin your trust. But it takes (probably far) less than a year to get a good reputation (on a new alt account). This is what con men do. They're good at gaining trust.

Depends on what you define as a "good reputation". Not a chance I would send first to someone without years of trust built up here. It took over a year before I no longer had people ask to escrow when trading with me. Everyone will have different views on what is trusted and what is not though.
ABitNut

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:52:49 AM

Depends on what you define as a "good reputation". Not a chance I would send first to someone without years of trust built up here. It took over a year before I no longer had people ask to escrow when trading with me. Everyone will have different views on what is trusted and what is not though.

Does this qualify as sending first:
Quickseller -492: -9 / +20   2015-05-14   1.50000000      Purchased a coin from me...we both paid/shipped at the same time.

Because Quickseller registered on July 22, 2014, 05:51:40 AM. Not what I would call "years of trust".
tonycamp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 04:59:48 AM

well trust as we say its confidence its relaability its the glue to good bussiness any one who tryies to tricky gets negative trust and who its honest and goodd dealear its trusted and also has BTC probably. long term users are most trustthy if they do bussiness here ( correctly).

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● REGISTER NOW and GET 1000 DOGE for FREE!  >>
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 11:08:28 AM

Quickseller -492: -9 / +20   2015-05-14   1.50000000      Purchased a coin from me...we both paid/shipped at the same time.

Because Quickseller registered on July 22, 2014, 05:51:40 AM. Not what I would call "years of trust".

QS was a special case due to how much effort he put into the forums.
ABitNut

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 12:43:21 AM

QS was a special case due to how much effort he put into the forums.

Fair enough. Obviously the person behind the QuickSeller account was very familiar with the forum before they started using that alias. It's fairly safe to assume they have at least one other account on here that is isolated from the whole drama about the QuickSeller account and its known alts. That account is most likely still here and well trusted.

I picked them as example because admittedly I do not have other concrete examples of accounts that managed to gain trust as effectively. The issue I have with this is that a knowledgeable person could create an alt, get it trusted and be in a position to pull off some scam in about 6 months. Sure, it will require effort but the whole building up trust thing is exactly what con men are about.

To bring it back to topic, the trust system on this forum is an attempt to quantify how trusted any given member is based on feedback given by those in your trust list.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: